DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Orioles: Brian Roberts on new contract

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Orioles: Brian Roberts on new contract Empty
PostSubject: Orioles: Brian Roberts on new contract   Orioles: Brian Roberts on new contract Icon_minipostedThu Feb 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Brian Roberts, as promised, spoke to the media minutes ago and basically confirmed that his four-year, $40 million contract extension is all but done. It's down now to getting back lab tests from his physical and holding the news conference tomorrow.

"Obviously, it's fairly close to done,'' he said. "I think we're all excited about the possibility it is where it is. It's a long process, but in the end both sides are happy."

Roberts (at right with manager Dave Trembley) clearly is relieved to be at the end of a multi-year process that nearly led to him being traded to the Chicago Cubs before spring training a year ago. He had made it clear that he wanted to get something done quickly this spring and team officials obviously felt the same way.

"It'll be a relief at some point,'' he said, "but if something hadn't worked out, I'd still go out and play. If it works out the way we want it to, it's great for me and my family. It's something we put a lot of time and effort into on both sides."

For fans who are interpreting this as an endorsement of the Orioles' rebuilding plan, Roberts said that's a fair interpretation.

"I don't think I would have made the commitment to begin negotiations if I didn't think in the course of the process over the next four or five years, we would have a chance to win. It's not going to be easy. It's never easy in this division, but we've seen Tampa Bay do it."

Another thing that clearly had an impact on Roberts was the club's ability to sign teammate Nick Markakis to a six-year, $66.1 million extension.

"To see that commitment to him for six years is great,'' Roberts said. "He's somebody who's going to be here for a long time. If I get to play the rest of my career here, I hope he's the next guy to do that."

Sun photo by Doug Kapustin
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Baltimore Orioles-
Jump to: