DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009   Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 02, 2009 9:11 pm

02/02/09 4:03 PM EST
Marlins foresee a formidable rotation
All five hurlers are younger than 30 and bring different repertoires

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

• Marlins' 40-man roster
  • Marlins Caravan information
  • Marlins hold Sanchez out of Classic
  • Marlins baseball hits airwaves in spring
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- If healthy, the Marlins feel they can run out a starting rotation capable of competing with any team in the league.

The key is keeping these young arms in line, which has been a struggle the past few years.

The Marlins project to roll out a starting five -- in no particular order -- of Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Chris Volstad, Anibal Sanchez and Andrew Miller.

The oldest of the group is Nolasco, who turned 26 in December. Johnson is 25, Sanchez 24, Miller 23 and Volstad turned 22 last September.

"We feel a lot better about it, at least on paper, than we did a year ago," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "It's nice to have J.J. back in the rotation. That's for sure. There's a lot of potential."

The Marlins haven't been this excited about a rotation since the days of Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett and Brad Penny.

"I look back to the Burnett, Penny, Beckett years," Beinfest said. "I hope there are a lot of similarities. They have really good arms. They're good competitors and good kids."

This is an extremely tall rotation as well, with Volstad at 6-foot-8, Johnson at 6-foot-7 and Miller at 6-foot-6.

Miller is the lone left-hander in the group.

"It's a little bit of a mix-and-match. You go from Johnson to Andrew Miller, it's a totally different look," Beinfest said. "Anibal Sanchez is a finesse guy. Then, we just hope that Ricky Nolasco keeps his pace or exceeds his year, which I think he's capable of. And Johnson can be a true No. 1. I think that's always been our belief. And Volstad is well beyond his years.

"I'm very proud of the rotation. We have more guys coming, but I think the potential is there to be, hopefully, one of the best in the league. We've waited a long time."

Johnson, Nolasco and Sanchez all missed substantial portions of 2007 because of injuries. Johnson underwent Tommy John ligament replacement surgery to his right elbow in '07, and he returned to the rotation in July of last year. Sanchez had right shoulder surgery in June '07, and Nolasco battled an elbow issue that season.

Sanchez, like Johnson, returned to the rotation in July a year ago.

Having all three healthy when Spring Training starts is a big difference from last spring.

"We know what it's like to be without them," Beinfest said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy some health, and see what they're able to do, which we think is great."

Miller was hampered by a right patella problem in the second half last year. The lefty is working right now with pitching coach Mark Wiley in Jupiter, Fla., refining his delivery.

For the most part, Marlins pitchers will open Spring Training on Feb. 14 healthy. Right-hander Harvey Garcia, who has dealt with a right shoulder injury, expects to be held back a bit when players report.

Veteran reliever Scott Proctor, a free-agent pickup, also will be eased in a little slower because he had a right elbow procedure performed in October.

For the most part, the Marlins' roster is set as Spring Training approaches. The team is exploring some options out there, and seeing if there is any catching depth available.

Florida is set to go with John Baker as its starter behind the plate, while Mike Rabelo would be given a chance to backup. Prospects Brett Hayes and Brad Davis are good defensively and could be similar players to Matt Treanor, who was released last December before he signed with the Tigers.

"There are some guys out there. I can't tell you what we're going to do," Beinfest said. "We think Brett Hayes is a real good defensive catcher. Rabelo has already backed up in the big leagues. Brad Davis is a good defensive catcher. We have some kids who may need an opportunity, and they may not be that much different than Matt Treanor when he got his first shot. Good defensively, and suspect with the bat. Matt was a good backup for us for three years."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009   Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009 Icon_minipostedMon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 pm

You could guess Miller will be probably in the middle since hes the only lefty.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009   Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009 Icon_minipostedTue Feb 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Last I heard he may not be ready to start ST because of his stupid 90 year old knee No Marlins are stupid, only 1 tall lefty now? What were they thinking? No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009   Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Marlins foresee a formidable rotation in 2009
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Florida / Miami Marlins-
Jump to: