DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson

Go down 
+2
gdennis59
GoGetEmTigers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Empty
PostSubject: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedThu Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm

JON PAUL MOROSI'S BLOG
Tigers close to signing relievers Brandon Lyon, Scott Williamson

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • January 22, 2009

The Tigers are nearing an agreement on a multiyear contract with free-agent reliever Brandon Lyon, multiple industry officials said today.

The deal is not yet complete, because Lyon has not passed a physical examination.

"We continue to work through it," agent Barry Meister said. "Everything is moving forward."

Meister would not discuss financial terms but did say that Lyon has received at least one multiyear offer. That would suggest that his tentative contract with Detroit will be for at least two years.

Lyon went 3-5 with a 26 saves and 4.70 ERA in 61 appearances last year. He will enter spring training as a candidate to become Detroit's closer -- a role tentatively held by Fernando Rodney.

The Tigers also are nearing a deal with veteran reliever Scott Williamson, according to a person in the industry with knowledge of the negotiations. Williamson last pitched in the majors with Baltimore in 2007, when he went 1-0 with a 4.40 ERA in 16 appearances.

Because of his injury history, Williamson is expected to sign a minor league contract.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedThu Jan 22, 2009 7:42 pm

This is big. A Closer and a reliever that could work his way up to the majors. NICE!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedThu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
This is big. A Closer and a reliever that could work his way up to the majors. NICE!

cross fingers
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedFri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm

01/22/09 8:01 PM EST
Tigers, Lyon expected to reach deal
Former D-backs pitcher would fill closer spot for Detroit

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- After spending much of the offseason working on bullpen solutions, the Tigers are finally closing in on a closer.

Team officials were negotiating Thursday with the agent for Brandon Lyon toward what is expected to be a multi-year deal. An agreement should be reached as soon as Friday -- according to an industry source -- that would add Lyon to the Tigers' relief corps and add an experienced reliever to a group challenged by injuries and inconsistency last year.

"I think before it's all said and done, there'll be more of a veteran presence in our bullpen than people think," manager Jim Leyland said Thursday during a luncheon with local media at Comerica Park.

Lyon has not yet taken a physical, which would be the final step toward an agreement. Agent Barry Meister said negotiations are ongoing.

Lyon was weighing interest from the Tigers, Twins and Cardinals heading into the week, and had narrowed his choices to two teams within the last couple of days. However, St. Louis has moved on to other options for its closer vacancy. Minnesota, meanwhile, has reportedly turned toward free agents Eric Gagne and Russ Springer in its search for an experienced arm to set up closer Joe Nathan.

In Detroit, meanwhile, Lyon would become the top option to close, a role he held for much of last season with the D-backs. The 29-year-old right-hander saved 26 games for the D-backs last year and went 3-5 with a 4.70 ERA. He piled up 19 saves and a 2.43 ERA in the season's first half before a rough stretch in July and August prompted the D-backs to move him back to setup.

Two years ago, Lyon was one of baseball's most underrated setup men, posting 35 holds to go with a 6-4 record and 2.68 ERA in 74 innings. He allowed just six of 21 inherited runners to score that year. While that success made him attractive to teams as both an eighth- and ninth-inning option, it could also allow the Tigers to use him as a short-term closer and move him to setup should Joel Zumaya or one of their younger relievers emerge next year.

Since the holidays, after the Tigers couldn't pull off a potential trade for J.J. Putz and couldn't woo free agent Kerry Wood, they had engaged in talks with Lyon as well as free-agent closer Jason Isringhausen. Detroit also monitored the progress of Chad Cordero in his open workouts as he progresses back from shoulder surgery.

Another veteran relief signing could come shortly. The Tigers are reportedly working on a Minor League deal with Scott Williamson. The 32-year-old last pitched in the Majors with Baltimore in 2007, posting a 1-0 record with a 4.40 ERA and 16 strikeouts over 14 1/3 innings. After the Giants released the right-hander last spring, he spent last year at the Triple-A level with 15 appearances for the Braves' affiliate in Richmond, followed by three appearances for Seattle's Triple-A squad.

The Tigers extended a similar deal on Tuesday to Juan Rincon, another veteran right-hander.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedFri Jan 23, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm not sure if I like the idea of someone named "Lyon" in Detroit. I mean there was a whole team of Lions that weren't exactly winners last year...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedFri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 pm

:haha:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedMon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
I'm not sure if I like the idea of someone named "Lyon" in Detroit. I mean there was a whole team of Lions that weren't exactly winners last year...

Thumb Down
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedMon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
:haha:

rant
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedMon Jan 26, 2009 7:06 pm

gs78 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Thumb Down

Sorry but I found it quite comical.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedTue Jan 27, 2009 2:05 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
LMAO
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_minipostedTue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Thumb Down

Sorry but I found it quite comical.

But Making fun of the Lions is getting old

I can't wait until the Lions are a winning team

Go Lions Go
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson   Tigers close to signing relievers  Lyon, Williamson Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers close to signing relievers Lyon, Williamson
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: