DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Wild Strawberries (1957) Empty
PostSubject: Wild Strawberries (1957)   Wild Strawberries (1957) Icon_minipostedFri Jan 16, 2009 3:47 am

Ingmar Bergman's film Wild Strawberries (Smultronstället) is about an old man's life. The man in the film is a doctor and a professor. He spends the film making his way to the town of Lund where he is to receive an honorary degree. Over the course of the film he has nightmares and daydreams which cause him to reevaluate his life as he thinks about his old age and impending death. The plot was interesting, but I found Bergman's The Seventh Seal to be a more engaging film.

The old man is played by Swedish actor Victor Sjöström. I thought his performance was fairly good. As I do not speak Swedish, it is somewhat difficult to critique his delivery of his lines, but I found his facial expressions and mannerisms to be quite good. For his portrayal as Professor Borg, he was awarded the National Board of Review Award for Best Actor which is an impressive feat as he is the only actor to win the award for a foreign-language film. The award was first handed out in 1945.

Overall, this film felt a lot like Bergman's film Autumn Sonata. While this film did not feature any actors famous to American audiences (like Ingrid Bergman in Autumn Sonata), I thought this was a better film. While Autumn Sonata attempted to do much of what this film did, the characters didn't come off as interesting. If I would have seen this film first, I would have been even less impressed with Autumn Sonata as it offers very little that this film did not already offer. I would still rank this film as slightly inferior to The Seventh Seal as I'm not really sure what deeper meaning this film has. It talks about a man's life but this man isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things. While people can relate to the idea of reassessing their lives, this doesn't seem terribly significant. Still, it's a good movie and will actually receive a higher score than The Seventh Seal which in retrospect was graded too harshly.

76/100
C

UP NEXT: We'll see.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Wild Strawberries (1957)   Wild Strawberries (1957) Icon_minipostedFri Jan 16, 2009 2:55 pm

I don't think I have seen that movie

Is it worth renting
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Wild Strawberries (1957)   Wild Strawberries (1957) Icon_minipostedFri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

It's worth renting if you like Swedish cinema. If you do like Swedish cinema I would suggest The Seventh Seal before this film. It is directed by the same guy - Ingmar Bergman. These films are considered "serious" films so they aren't action-packed entertaining films or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Strawberries (1957)   Wild Strawberries (1957) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Wild Strawberries (1957)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: