DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Empty
PostSubject: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)   The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Icon_minipostedSat Jan 03, 2009 4:46 am

The Bridge on the River Kwai is the first of David Lean's epic films. The film is about a group of soldiers during World War 2 in a Japanese POW camp. The simplified version of the plot is these soldiers are building a bridge across the river Kwai. Their commanding officer, played by Alec Guinness, becomes quite motivated to build this bridge and takes great pride in the bridge despite the fact it will be used against the Allies. At the same time, an American former POW, played by William Holden, is part of a group of soldiers attempting to detonate the bridge as the bridge's first train crosses it.

As mentioned a moment ago, the film stars William Holden and Alec Guinness. The two briefly meet each other in the beginning of the film but are mostly involved in different storylines. Holden was pretty good but his storyline was fairly dull at first. Guinness gives a brilliant performance, better than any performance of his I have seen, and was justly awarded an Oscar. In a supporting role, Sessue Hayakawa plays the commander of the POW Camp. His performance is very good and he was nominated for, but did not win, best supporting actor. The film also includes some other actors who are more than adequate.

While this film is generally regarded as inferior to Lean's epic Lawrence of Arabia, I found this film better. It may not offer the stunning visuals offered by Lawrence, but the film is far more interesting. I would say this film is easily the best David Lean film I've seen.

Overall, this film is nearly perfect. The only complaint I have with the film is about 10 minutes worth of William Holden's side story. Other than that the film is about as flawless as I have ever seen. The film may not be as innovative as other great films such as Citizen Kane, but I don't think that matters. The story, the acting, the visuals, and the score are all amongst the best I have ever seen. This may not be the greatest film ever made, but it is perhaps my favorite and is well-deserving of the highest score I have ever awarded.

98/100
A+

UP NEXT: To be determined.
Back to top Go down

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: