DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras Empty
PostSubject: Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras   Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras Icon_minipostedSat Dec 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Reds sign Williy Taveras

By Hal McCoy | Saturday, December 27, 2008, 12:29 PM

The Cincinnati Reds filled their leadoff hole by signing free agent outfielder Willy Taveras to a two-year deal.

Taveras, who turned 27 on Christmas Day, hit only .251 with a .308 on base average with the Colorado Rockies, but stole 68 bases in 75 tries.

But in 2007 Taveras hit .320 in 97 games with a .367 on base average with the Rockies.

Prior to playing in Colorado, Taveras had two solid years in Houston, hitting .291 in 2005 and .278 in 2006, playing 152 and 149 games. He stole 33 bases in 2006 and 33 in 2007.

It is expected Taveras, a native of the Dominican Republic who lives in Pearland, Texas, will play center field for the Reds.

“We’ve added speed to our club and added defense,” said general manager Walt Jocketty. “He fills a lot of needs for us and what I like he is genuinely excited about coming to the Reds.”

Taveras comes to the Reds on the recommendation of Jamie Quirk, Colorado manager Clint Hurdle’s bench coach last year and now a member of Jocketty’s staff in Cincinnati.

“We tried to do a trade with Colorado for Taveras earlier, but it didn’t work out,” said Jocketty. “When the Rockies didn’t tender him (offer him a contract after the season), we called his agent and got this done.”

About his fallen batting average and on base percentage in 2008, Jocketty said, “Jamie Quirk believes Willy got away from his game plan. He needs to bunt more and keep the ball on the ground and get some infield hits. I don’t know if he tried to hit home runs, or what, but Jamie think he changed his approach and that we can get him back on track.”

Jocketty said the Reds remain in pursuit of a left fielder, “And we’re still trying to sign Jerry Hairston Jr. and he can play some out there in left.”

There was a story this week that Sammy Sosa says he wants to play major-league baseball this year and when Jocketty was kiddingly asked if the Reds were interested in Sosa, he said, “Don’t think so. And I don’t think (manager) Dusty Baker wants him.”

Last edited by bobrob2004 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras   Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras Icon_minipostedSat Dec 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I wonder if he's related to Willy Taveras?
Back to top Go down

Reds sign Will(i)y Taveras
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Cincinnati Reds-
Jump to: