DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Empty
PostSubject: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_minipostedThu Dec 11, 2008 8:57 am

LAS VEGAS -- The Tigers are among the clubs that have requested medical information on free agent John Smoltz, a gesture certain to stir emotion among fans across the state who remember ruefully the native son’s departure in a 1987 trade with the Atlanta Braves.

Smoltz, 41, appeared in only six games with the Braves this year before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. But he has resolved to pitch again next year and threw “very well” in a workout Friday, according to his agent, Keith Grunewald.

“He was ecstatic,” he said. “He felt great.”

The Braves, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets are among the interested teams, but sentimentality and practicality could bring Smoltz to Detroit.

Smoltz would prefer to pitch as a starter in 2009, and the Tigers’ rotation remains unsettled after Justin Verlander, Armando Galarraga and the rehabilitating Jeremy Bonderman.

Smoltz was born in Warren, became a multi-sport star at Lansing Waverly High and maintains close ties to the area. He returned to Michigan recently to watch Michigan State’s basketball team play North Carolina at Ford Field.

Smoltz’s grandfather, the late John Frank Smoltz, worked on the grounds crew at Tiger Stadium. Nicknamed “Father John,” he was so recognizable at the old ballpark that Ernie Harwell was the first person to arrive at his funeral wake.

John Adam Smoltz, the pitcher’s father, played his accordion behind the bar at the venerable Lindell A.C. while Tigers players celebrated their 1968 American League pennant. He helped on the grounds crew and was an usher at the ’84 World Series.

Smoltz was drafted by the Tigers in 1985 and traded to Atlanta two years later in a deal that brought Doyle Alexander to Detroit and helped the Tigers win the AL East.

Smoltz has won 210 games and saved 154 others in a storied career with the Braves. More than two decades later, he has a chance to return to the place where it all began.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_minipostedFri Dec 12, 2008 8:34 am

Does anyone here have any take on this or no?

I think it would be nice to have him as either a closer or a starter. Health may be a concern but I wouldnt mind it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_minipostedSat Dec 13, 2008 6:59 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
Does anyone here have any take on this or no?

I think it would be nice to have him as either a closer or a starter. Health may be a concern but I wouldnt mind it.

I haven't heard anything other than what is already posted
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_minipostedWed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am

No news as of yet.

I would rather see Smoltz come to Detroit as a closer. With his arm injury last year, the less strain on that arm the better.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_minipostedWed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 am

Plus, I am simply ILL at the idea of 'Nando as our closer..... :puke2:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?   Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers Acquire John Smoltz?!?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: