DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George Empty
PostSubject: Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George   Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George Icon_minipostedThu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm

MLB owners approve shift of control of Yanks from George to Hal Steinbrenner

NEW YORK -- George Steinbrenner's 35-year reign as boss of the New York Yankees ended Thursday when he passed control of baseball's most famous team to his youngest son, Hal.

The elder Steinbrenner has gradually withdrawn from the Yankees' day-to-day operations in recent years, and brothers Hal and Hank were appointed co-chairmen in April.

"I realize it's a great responsibility," said Hal Steinbrenner, who turns 40 on Dec. 3. "My dad is, needless to say, a tough act to follow."

George Steinbrenner headed a group that bought the club in January 1973. He became one of the most high-profile owners in all of sports, dominating the back pages of New York's tabloids as he spent lavishly on players and changed managers 20 times during his first 23 years as owner.

The Yankees regained their former glory under his ownership, winning six World Series titles and 10 American League pennants from 1976-2003. They also have transformed themselves into a billion-dollar business that owns a cable television network and food concession company. But the 78-year-old has been in declining health following fainting spells that required hospitalization in December 2003 and October 2006.

His speech in public has been halting and weak since the second fall, and he has needed assistance when walking. He delivered the balls for the ceremonial first pitches from a golf cart at July's All-Star game at Yankee Stadium, then stayed home in Florida to watch the 85-year-old park's final game on television.

Baseball owners unanimously approved the change in control during a meeting Thursday.

"He's been slowing down the last couple years," Hal Steinbrenner said. "Really, for the last two years I have been intimately involved with all aspects and all departments of the company. It's what I've been doing day-to-day. My duties aren't really going to change and my workload isn't going to change much. So, I mean, it's as much a procedural thing within the family, I think, as anything at this point."

While Hank, 51, has spoken out publicly far more than his brother in the past year, Hal was at Yankee Stadium far more often than his brother this season. Hal is responsible for financial operations of the club, and Hank oversees general manager Brian Cashman and the baseball operations.

Major League Baseball said George Steinbrenner requested the change in control be made. George Steinbrenner retains his title as the team's chairman.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George   Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George Icon_minipostedThu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm

I thought old Georgie had turned the club over already.... well it is about time!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Koinonia
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
Koinonia

Male
Number of posts : 63
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sheff??
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George   Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George Icon_minipostedMon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am

HAL???HAL??

I was SURE it was going to be Hank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George   Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Hal Steinbrenner officially takes over Yanks from George
Page 1 of 1