DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs Empty
PostSubject: Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs   Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 3:01 pm

The Cubs have reached agreement on a multiyear contract with free agent pitcher Ryan Dempster, and the two-time All-Star is expected to sign the deal today, according to multiple sources.

It's expected to be a four-year deal worth at least $52 million.

Dempster, a 17-game winner and Game 1 playoff starter this year, has been the Cubs' top off-season priority. Indications are that general manager Jim Hendry might still seek another starting pitcher - possibly free agent Randy Johnson - despite additional pursuits of left-handed hitting.

Dempster, who made a successful conversion from the closer role in 2008, initially sought a five-year, $70 million deal, according to sources.

The Cubs' initial offer was believed to be four years for about $50 million. While it was widely reported a major sticking point was his desire for a fifth year, club insiders say the money was the bigger obstacle.

After more than a week of unanswered e-mails and voice mails, Dempster's agent, Craig Landis, responded overnight with an e-mail saying only, ``We are having ongoing talks with the Cubs. The rest is confidential. … There are at least four or five other interested teams at this point.''

The Cubs also could be involved in talks with Los Angeles Dodgers free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, a top-of-the-order hitter they came close to signing the last time he was a free agent.

Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, was traveling today to Chicago to meet with another client, Cubs' catcher Geovany Soto. It was not immediately known whether he had any meetings scheduled with Cubs officials.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs   Ryan Dempster reaches new deal with Cubs Icon_minipostedTue Nov 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Baseball
Dempster, Cubs agree to $52 million, 4-year deal
Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Ryan Dempster made the successful switch from closer to starter this season, winning 17 games and helping the Chicago Cubs compile the best record in the National League.

Once the postseason rolled around, though, Dempster's spring training prediction that the Cubs would win the World Series fell way short when Chicago was swept in the first round for the second consecutive year.

Dempster had a chance to leave as a free agent, but his desire to get the Cubs to the World Series, help them win it all for the first time since 1908 and play in a city where he and his family are so comfortable were all factors in his decision to return Tuesday.

And a $52 million, four-year contract helped convince him, too.

"I never thought sitting there negotiating over 50-something million dollars would be such a hard thing to do," Dempster said. "Ultimately what it comes to, you have to think: What are our chances to win a world championship? I think given as close as we've gotten the last few, I just thought this is where I want to be."

Dempster said he's not worried that he might have gotten a bigger or better deal elsewhere if he'd spent more time on the market. He said there were no other firm offers immediately, but there were several teams that showed interest, including Atlanta, the Mets, the Yankees, Toronto and the Dodgers.

"Was there more money on the open market? I'm sure there probably was. Who knows? Maybe there was five years. You never know," Dempster said.

"That's a question that I'll never be able to answer, but truthfully I don't really even care to know because I'm happy with what I have. It's more money than I could ever dream of getting when I was a kid growing up playing baseball."

Dempster gets a $4 million signing bonus, $8 million next year, $12.5 million in 2010 and $13.5 million in 2011. He has a 2012 option for $14 million.

The 31-year-old right-hander was 17-6 with a 2.96 ERA for the Cubs this season.

"It was imperative that we kept him in house," general manager Jim Hendry said. "No doubt in our minds that Ryan would have exceeded this deal on the streets in three or four weeks from now, the way the market is for starting pitching. Ryan was committed. From Day One he told us he wanted to stay. And it was a priority for us to try and get it done before we got too far down the road in the winter."

As the Cubs' closer from 2005-07, Dempster saved 87 games in 102 chances. After earning a spot in the rotation during spring training following rigorous workouts last offseason, he returned to the starter's role he held with the Marlins and Reds from 1998-2003.

Dempster went 14-3 at Wrigley Field during the regular season.

"When we were going to give him a chance to make the rotation, there wasn't any doubt in his mind, not only was he going to make it, but win at a high level," Hendry said.

"He's still got five or six good years in him," the GM added. "You win a lot of baseball games with this guy on your ballclub."

But Dempster struggled in the playoff opener against the Dodgers, throwing 109 pitches in 4 2-3 innings. He gave up four runs and four hits while matching a career high with seven walks. He also allowed a grand slam to James Loney in the Cubs' 7-2 loss.

Now, Dempster will get another chance to help the Cubs end their long drought.

"Maybe we underestimated how prepared you have to be and how ready you have to be, especially in a five-game series. It's like a short heavyweight bout -- ding, ding the bell is ringing and you got to go," Dempster said.

"We were so good at home and I was so good at home, it almost felt like it was just going to be a given that we would win Games 1 and 2 and move on and go from there. You've still got to play the games. ... It felt embarrassing to go out there for a second year in row and to lose three straight games for whatever reason. We have to figure out what it is that is not getting done and have to get better about it."

It's the Cubs' second major move in less than a week. Last Thursday, they traded for Florida reliever Kevin Gregg and said goodbye to free agent Kerry Wood, a good friend of Dempster's.

Hendry said the Cubs couldn't give Wood the long-term deal he deserved because they had more important priorities. And one of those top priorities was re-signing Dempster. Chicago also has explored acquiring San Diego ace Jake Peavy.

"I wouldn't necessarily rule out anything," Hendry said without being specific. He said the Cubs would not hesitate to bring on more pitching if the situation was right, while still hoping to add a left-handed bat.

Hendry, who got a contract extension through 2012 in October, said he expected the team's payroll to increase slightly this season. He said he'd encountered no financial restrictions, even with the team up for sale by Tribune Co.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1