DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

My First Article has been Published!!! =]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

My First Article has been Published!!! =] Empty
PostSubject: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 7:48 pm

I have officially been in a newspaper for an article. It was the greatest piece if writing I have ever done. I am soooo proud of myself and will have another article in the paper on Dec. 18. I have the article below. Tell me watcha think!

Leading the Way
40 sophomores challenge themselves

By: Garrett Dennis

Coventry High School held its 5th annual Leadership Retreat at Camp Asbury near Hiram College October 20-22. Forty sophomores, along with eight senior leaders who attended their sophomore year, took three days off of school to better their leadership skills.
Assistant Principal Greg Soos was in charge of the retreat. He, along with staff members John Hutchinson, Kiel Cox, Justin Pascoe, Jennifer Horner, Kristen Cox, and Kim Hibian, chaperoned the students. The students chosen to go wrote essays based on what they thought leadership meant. They were also required to give an example of someone they thought of as a leader and to analyze that person’s leadership qualities. After the essays were read, staff counselors selected 20 sophomore girls and 20 sophomore boys.
“It is my hope that the Leadership Program will create leaders who will support one another, and build and maintain a positive community while growing up as individuals and leaders in our homes, community, and school,” said Soos.
The students were challenged to become such leaders through various activities. Among the favorite obstacles were the Power Pole and the High Ropes Course. “The High Ropes Course is always my favorite part,” said senior Ariel Golby. “It’s amazing how you can go up there and be afraid of heights, but the people who you barely even know are supporting you and you become good friends.”
All meals were eaten together in a family style manner to create a better sense of community. Students also spent a day doing trust building activities. Soos believes that trust is “one of the most important traits to leadership.”
All of the students were strongly encouraged to participate in a seminar-formatted group discussion. The purpose of the session was for students to learn about themselves, their peers, and about what kind of leaders they would make. “However,” Soos said, “the program only works if there are students willing to take what they have learned and improve themselves.”
Many of the students had a blast, to say the least. “I thought it was extremely fun,” sophomore Sam London remarked. “It taught me values, and a sense of pride in my school.” The sophomores weren’t the only ones who had a great time. The third time was the charm senior Ariel Golby who attended her sophomore and junior year, and looked back on her senior year and said, “It never gets old.” She was also seemingly happy with the way the sophomores displayed leadership while there. “I was very impressed with the way they stepped up to the challenges. They were willing to open up and express their opinions to the whole group. In the three years I have gone, I have never seen such a friendly group.”
Being one of the sophomores, presented the opportunity to attend such a wonderful camp, I cannot express how much this camp has done to me. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I would not trade it for anything in the world. It taught me so much about being a leader, and presented to me the traits and characteristics I need to be a good leader. I made so many friends and learned about all of the wonderful things in Coventry High School that I may have previously overlooked. If your school has a program such as this or something similar, I strongly encourage you to attend it and participate in every activity. It will create memories that will last you a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Great job Garrett!

My First Article has been Published!!! =] 3_3_11v
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks! Im stoked! My mom is telling like absolutely everyone. It even teared up my old principal to know that one of her students are already on their way to a good future is what she said.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 9:11 pm

UPDATE: My blogspot will be up sometime next week.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 1:49 am

gdennis59 wrote:
I have officially been in a newspaper for an article. It was the greatest piece if writing I have ever done. I am soooo proud of myself and will have another article in the paper on Dec. 18. I have the article below. Tell me watcha think!

Leading the Way
40 sophomores challenge themselves

By: Garrett Dennis

Coventry High School held its 5th annual Leadership Retreat at Camp Asbury near Hiram College October 20-22. Forty sophomores, along with eight senior leaders who attended their sophomore year, took three days off of school to better their leadership skills.
Assistant Principal Greg Soos was in charge of the retreat. He, along with staff members John Hutchinson, Kiel Cox, Justin Pascoe, Jennifer Horner, Kristen Cox, and Kim Hibian, chaperoned the students. The students chosen to go wrote essays based on what they thought leadership meant. They were also required to give an example of someone they thought of as a leader and to analyze that person’s leadership qualities. After the essays were read, staff counselors selected 20 sophomore girls and 20 sophomore boys.
“It is my hope that the Leadership Program will create leaders who will support one another, and build and maintain a positive community while growing up as individuals and leaders in our homes, community, and school,” said Soos.
The students were challenged to become such leaders through various activities. Among the favorite obstacles were the Power Pole and the High Ropes Course. “The High Ropes Course is always my favorite part,” said senior Ariel Golby. “It’s amazing how you can go up there and be afraid of heights, but the people who you barely even know are supporting you and you become good friends.”
All meals were eaten together in a family style manner to create a better sense of community. Students also spent a day doing trust building activities. Soos believes that trust is “one of the most important traits to leadership.”
All of the students were strongly encouraged to participate in a seminar-formatted group discussion. The purpose of the session was for students to learn about themselves, their peers, and about what kind of leaders they would make. “However,” Soos said, “the program only works if there are students willing to take what they have learned and improve themselves.”
Many of the students had a blast, to say the least. “I thought it was extremely fun,” sophomore Sam London remarked. “It taught me values, and a sense of pride in my school.” The sophomores weren’t the only ones who had a great time. The third time was the charm senior Ariel Golby who attended her sophomore and junior year, and looked back on her senior year and said, “It never gets old.” She was also seemingly happy with the way the sophomores displayed leadership while there. “I was very impressed with the way they stepped up to the challenges. They were willing to open up and express their opinions to the whole group. In the three years I have gone, I have never seen such a friendly group.”
Being one of the sophomores, presented the opportunity to attend such a wonderful camp, I cannot express how much this camp has done to me. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I would not trade it for anything in the world. It taught me so much about being a leader, and presented to me the traits and characteristics I need to be a good leader. I made so many friends and learned about all of the wonderful things in Coventry High School that I may have previously overlooked. If your school has a program such as this or something similar, I strongly encourage you to attend it and participate in every activity. It will create memories that will last you a lifetime.

applaud applaud applaud
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 8:41 am

Cant wait till I can get my blog running!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Good Job Garrett! Thats really good.... YAY!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks! =]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My First Article has been Published!!! =]   My First Article has been Published!!! =] Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

My First Article has been Published!!! =]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: