DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Empty
PostSubject: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Updated: November 5, 2008, 8:20 PM ET

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Between planning his wedding and taking his dog for surgery, Joe Maddon was pressed for time.

But with baseball's general managers meeting about 45 minutes from his house, the Tampa Bay manager drove over to visit with the Rays' Andrew Friedman about the team's needs for next season.

Maddon is getting married this weekend, less than two weeks after the Rays lost the World Series to Philadelphia in five games.

"Andrew's going to be at the reception, but I don't want to talk about this stuff on Saturday," Maddon said with a grin. "During the season we talk nearly every day. He's left me alone for a couple of days, but now that the meetings are underway, we're going to talk about some stuff."

Next Monday, Maddon and his second wife, Jade, will begin a honeymoon that includes stops in Italy, the Czech Republic and Germany. Maybe then he'll get a chance to unwind from a whirlwind season that put him in the national spotlight for the first time.

"I'm hoping to be recognized in Europe, because that would truly indicate that the Tampa Bay Rays have arrived on the continent," the 54-year-old Maddon said. "That was one of my goals prior to the season."

Maddon said he would love to place a Rays cap on the head of the statue of David.

"My main objective is to see somebody wearing Rays gear," he said. "So in one of those places, I want to see somebody wearing some form of it. And I shall take a photograph. I'll ask that person to pose."

Maddon prefers to stay detached from the financial end of things and leave those decisions to Friedman, team president Matt Silverman and controlling owner Stuart Sternberg.

"As I've said from the very first day, I've never been concerned about our payroll," Maddon said. "That's not my concern. I think the core group that we have there right now, it's a wonderful situation for us. But that's not to say that we don't have to get better, because we do."

The Rays' top priorities are to settle their bullpen, find a regular right fielder and add a starting pitcher.

"Whatever we're willing to spend, we'll spend. And I know we're going to spend in appropriate ways," Maddon said. "I mean, I think we research things very well. We're looking for a right fielder, specifically, and he may cost some money. But regardless, I know that going into the next camp, we're going to have things drawn up the way we want them and we'll move on from there. Andrew and I are very much in tune and we share similar philosophies."

With one of the smallest payrolls in the game, the Rays have sent a message to the rest of the sport that building a successful team isn't impossible for clubs that can't compete financially with all the others.

"If I was on the other side of it, I would think it would present hope in the sense that it can be done," Maddon said. "I just think it presents a different light overall throughout the industry. Definitely it gives you some ideas on how to do it."

Maddon is hopeful of keeping his young core of talent together, but he knows it will be difficult holding onto Evan Longoria and B.J. Upton in a few years when they become eligible for free agency.
"We'll find out. I mean, I'd like to believe it won't," Maddon said. "The one thing I've always felt -- and I might be naive -- is that if you nurture a particular situation regarding relationships at a very young age, that you may have a better chance to keep a group of players together.

"I mean, as these guys continue to do well, they're going to require more money to keep them together, or just to satisfy their own personal situation. We'll find out, but I'd just like to believe that relationship building matters."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Go Maddon, best manager in baseball!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 11:51 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Go Maddon, best manager in baseball!

Nod
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 8:42 am

A bit late in life to get married...

I bet shes like 25. LMAO
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 1:46 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

Not really. People should be allowed to marry at any age (once they get to a certain age obviously....2-year-olds shouldn't marry).
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 5:31 pm

I plan on getting married again
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Someday
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 8:32 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

Not really. People should be allowed to marry at any age (once they get to a certain age obviously....2-year-olds shouldn't marry).

I know, but I mean, I plan on getting married in my 20s ish.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Ya got plenty o' time dude! Take the time to be really sure.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedThu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 pm

I know. I am going to explore quite some bit before settling and getting married.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 7:53 am

Especially if you want to be a journalist/reporter. There's lots of travel/exploring to do!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 1:01 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Ya got plenty o' time dude! Take the time to be really sure.

Half of marriages end in divorce anyways....if you find someone that you think might be right go for it - it could be your starter marriage.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_minipostedFri Nov 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married   Rays manager Maddon plans team before getting married Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1