DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Sign Jason Varitek thread!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Sign Jason Varitek thread! Empty
PostSubject: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedMon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 am

I think we need to make a move for Tek! He can be a key part of our defense, and can really help mature Dusty. Dusty has way too many passed balls, and Tek can mentor him to better that.

He also hits a long ball here and there, despite his downfalling offense.

We need Tek!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedMon Nov 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Sign Him
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedMon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 pm

He's 36 and will turn 37 just after the season starts.

He hit .220 last season with just 33 extra base hits. His OBP of .313 wouldn't even lead the league, or come close, if it were his batting average. He slugged .359 last season which would be a respectable, but not great, on base percentage.

And to reiterate, he'll be 37 after the first week of the season and he's a catcher.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedMon Nov 03, 2008 3:50 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
He's 36 and will turn 37 just after the season starts.

He hit .220 last season with just 33 extra base hits. His OBP of .313 wouldn't even lead the league, or come close, if it were his batting average. He slugged .359 last season which would be a respectable, but not great, on base percentage.

And to reiterate, he'll be 37 after the first week of the season and he's a catcher.

Sign him to a one year contract

See what happens
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedMon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 pm

He's still super durable, and even if he gets fatigued at all, we have Ryan as a semi-reliable back up. He hasnt been injury prone, and is a very experienced catcher that we could use very much at this point.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedTue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm

I say the Tigers should go younger and bring in more youth!!

Say no to proposition V!!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedTue Nov 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Ok. I still say yes.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:23 am

Though cost could be a factor

I still like to see Varitek in a Tigers Uniform
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 am

tigersaint wrote:

I voted yes on Proposition 5. Early returns aren't promising though Neutral
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:27 am

catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What is Prop 5?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:30 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What is Prop 5?

One you'll criticize me for supporting ashamed

It's to spend money treating nonviolent drug offenders.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

What is Prop 5?

One you'll criticize me for supporting ashamed

It's to spend money treating nonviolent drug offenders.

Actually; If it is cheaper than putting them in prison

And it frees up space for violent people that are released early because of overcrowding

I am for it
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 am

better than giving people blank checks for welfare or reparations
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 am

California passed a proposition a while back that was similar to this one. The jails were less crowded and the state saved money as the drug offenders were less likely to re-offend. The proposition only let the money run so long and the money is gone. Despite the fact that the previous proposition worked, it doesn't look like the voters are going to vote for a similar proposition this year.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 am

catbox_9 wrote:
California passed a proposition a while back that was similar to this one. The jails were less crowded and the state saved money as the drug offenders were less likely to re-offend. The proposition only let the money run so long and the money is gone. Despite the fact that the previous proposition worked, it doesn't look like the voters are going to vote for a similar proposition this year.

That doesn't make sense

I rather spend a fraction of the 30 grand a year it costs to jail non violent offenders

But people will bitch when someone gets released early [ because of overcrowding] and robs a bank, kills or rapes someone
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:40 am

It happened in Michigan couple years ago

A guy named Selepak was released early due to overcrowding [ by mistake] and robbed and killed several people
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:40 am

That is why I like Ron Paul

He wants to decriminalize drug use and end the war on drugs
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:42 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

That doesn't make sense

I rather spend a fraction of the 30 grand a year it costs to jail non violent offenders

But people will bitch when someone gets released early [ because of overcrowding] and robs a bank, kills or rapes someone

Where'd you get 30 grand? It's a hell of a lot more than that here! In the State Hospitals (for the "criminally insane") they spend something like 150K/year per inmate. Even in a state where the average income is way higher than the national average, VERY FEW people make 150K/year here. Why the hell should we spend that on criminals?

I'm pretty damn liberal and am all for the rights of the accused, but once they are guilty we shouldn't be spending the income of 3 typical families to lock them up!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

That doesn't make sense

Where'd you get 30 grand? It's a hell of a lot more than that here! In the State Hospitals (for the "criminally insane") they spend something like 150K/year per inmate. Even in a state where the average income is way higher than the national average, VERY FEW people make 150K/year here. Why the hell should we spend that on criminals?

I'm pretty damn liberal and am all for the rights of the accused, but once they are guilty we shouldn't be spending the income of 3 typical families to lock them up!

I have a minor in Criminal Justice

it was 30,000 grand in Michigan a few years back

Probably a lot more now
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:46 am

That could be. My figures (in CA at least) are pretty current. I took a psychology and law class last summer and that's where I got my numbers.

gs78 wrote:

I have a minor in Criminal Justice

And I did not know that.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_minipostedWed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 am

catbox_9 wrote:
That could be. My figures (in CA at least) are pretty current. I took a psychology and law class last summer and that's where I got my numbers.

Earlier this decade for me

Regardless

Money can be better spent for non violent drug crimes

Probation, Rehab, Community Service are a lot better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sign Jason Varitek thread!   Sign Jason Varitek thread! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Sign Jason Varitek thread!
Page 1 of 1