DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show

Go down 
+4
detroitwings82
GoGetEmTigers
gs78
catbox_9
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Empty
PostSubject: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm

WESTFIELD, Mass. – With an instructor watching, an 8-year-old boy at a gun fair aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin and pulled the trigger as his dad reached for a camera.

It was his first time shooting a fully automatic machine gun, and the recoil of the weapon was too much for him. He lost control and fatally shot himself in the head.

Now gun safety experts — and some gun enthusiasts at the club where the shooting happened — are wondering why such a young child was allowed to fire a weapon used in war. Local, state and federal authorities are also investigating whether everyone involved had proper licenses or if anyone committed a criminal act.

"It's easy to lose control of a weapon like that ... they are used on a battleground for a very good reason," said Jerry Belair, a spokesman for Stop Handgun Violence, based in Newton, Mass. "It's to shoot as many times as you possibly can without having to reload at an enemy that's approaching. It's not a toy. It's not something to play with."

Police said Christopher Bizilj (Bah-SEAL) of Ashford, Conn., was pronounced dead at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Mass., on Sunday afternoon, shortly after firing a 9mm micro Uzi submachine gun at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, co-sponsored by C.O.P. Firearms & Training.

"The weapon was loaded and ready to fire," Westfield police Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. "The 8-year-old victim had the Uzi and as he was firing the weapon, the front end of the weapon went up with the backfire and he ended up receiving a round in his head."

Nunez said the investigation is continuing.

Christopher, a third-grader, was attending the show with his father and sixth-grade brother, Colin. Christopher had fired handguns and rifles before, but Sunday was his first time firing an automatic weapon, said his father, Charles Bizilj.

Bizilj told the Boston Globe he was about 10 feet behind his son and reaching for his camera when the weapon fired. He said his family avoided the larger weapons, but he let his son try the Uzi because it's a small weapon with little recoil.

"This accident was truly a mystery to me," said Bizilj, director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford, Conn. "This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened."

Police are calling the shooting an accident but are investigating whether everyone connected with the incident had proper weapons permits. Massachusetts requires licenses to own firearms, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issues different licenses to possess machine guns.

The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people from as far away as Maine and Virginia. An advertisement said it would include machine gun demonstrations and rentals and free handgun lessons.

"It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.

"You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control — "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL," the ad said.

The ad also said children under 16 would be admitted free, and both adults and children were offered free .22-caliber pistol and rifle shooting.

Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. It is legal in Massachusetts for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and they are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Nunez said. The name of the instructor who was with the boy at the time was not released.

"We do not know at this time the full facts of this incident," Nunez said Monday.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Why is an eight-year-old kid allowed to shoot an automatic weapon?

Guns don't kill people. People kill people Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Why is an eight-year-old kid allowed to shoot an automatic weapon? :shrug:

Guns don't kill people. People kill people Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 8:11 pm

That was a stupid, deadly thing to allow, hope they go after the instructor and dad!

I don't think an 8 year old should be shooting any gun! And I am pro gun ownership. But I don't believe they should be able to sell uzi's.

Quote :
The ad also said children under 16 would be
admitted free, and both adults and children were offered free
.22-caliber pistol and rifle shooting.

Don't think an Uzi falls in this category!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Children, or any untrained person for that matter, should not play with Uzis. Does this look like a toy?

Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Uzi_1

Uzis fire 600 rounds/minute....that's 10 shots a second!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Good Math There Catbox
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedWed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 am

gs78 wrote:
Good Math There Catbox

Back to the subject at hand....as I'm not a big fan of guns, I don't see why anyone should have access to a fully automatic weapon. While I think nobody should own a gun, I appreciate that I am a big supporter of the constitution and therefore must allow people to own guns for protection and what not. Still, there is no reason why anyone should own, or even be allowed to own, a fully automatic weapon. If someone breaks into your house a simple handgun will do. If you're hunting (which I'm not a fan of either) you most certainly do not need an automatic weapon to kill the animal - a shotgun will suffice.

The Uzi is designed for combat and that's the only place it should be allowed.

Finally, that eight-year-old child shouldn't have had access to an Uzi...or any gun. If it were up to me you would have to be at least 18 in order to even shoot a gun. If not 18, certainly some age much older than 8.
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedWed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am

why would u allow a little kid to shoot a uzi are they fucking stupid.... i hope they get prosecuted
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedWed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good Math There Catbox

If you're hunting (which I'm not a fan of either) you most certainly do not need an automatic weapon to kill the animal - a shotgun will suffice.
It's illegal to use an automatic gun for hunting.

And on what you said earlier in that same post about owning guns... yah, my family owns a lot of guns. However none of the people in my family are stupid enough to shoot a gun that they are unable to control or allow someone to shoot a gun they know that person will not be able to control. Our guns are almost all for the purpose of hunting.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedWed Oct 29, 2008 8:39 pm

TG wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
Good Math There Catbox

If you're hunting (which I'm not a fan of either) you most certainly do not need an automatic weapon to kill the animal - a shotgun will suffice.
It's illegal to use an automatic gun for hunting.

And on what you said earlier in that same post about owning guns... yah, my family owns a lot of guns. However none of the people in my family are stupid enough to shoot a gun that they are unable to control or allow someone to shoot a gun they know that person will not be able to control. Our guns are almost all for the purpose of hunting.

Be kind of cool to hunt Deer with an automatic weapon

Fill Bambi with more holes than swiss cheese lol!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedWed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 pm

That would be really difficult to clean and all that gross stuff. and it would destroy the meat.
I had venison for dinner tonight Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 2:10 am

TG wrote:
That would be really difficult to clean and all that gross stuff. and it would destroy the meat.

Yeah

But it would be cool
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 am

TG wrote:

I haven't had a piece of meat to eat as the main course in a long time...actually it's been since Sunday - my mom made filet mignon for lunch.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 5:14 pm

What is mignon?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 6:07 pm

TG wrote:
What is mignon?

A very expensive piece of steak.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 6:16 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
TG wrote:
What is mignon?

A very expensive piece of steak.

Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 pm

TG wrote:
What is mignon?

Mignon is an opera in three acts by Ambroise Thomas to a French libretto by Jules Barbier and Michel Carré, based on Goethe's novel Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre. The first performance was at the Opéra Comique, Paris, on 17 November 1866.

--------------------

The steak is called filet mignon, not just mignon.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Oh.... I see Smile

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 pm

TG wrote:
What is mignon?

It comes bacon wrapped or plain.

wiki wrote:
Filet mignon (French for "dainty fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the tenderloin, or psoas major of the steer or heifer.

The tenderloin runs along either side of the spine, and is usually harvested as two long snake-shaped cuts of beef. The tenderloin (not to be confused with the short loin) is sometimes sold whole. If the short end of the tenderloin is cut into portions before cooking, that portion is known as filet mignon, or the fillet, from the French boneless meat (mignon meaning "small" as true mignons are cut from the smaller tail end of the tenderloin).

The fillet is considered to be the most tender cut of beef, and the most expensive. The average steer or heifer provides no more than 4-6 pounds of filet. Because the muscle is non-weight bearing, it receives very little exercise, which makes it tender.

Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show FILET_MIGNON_STEAKS_600
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
TG wrote:
What is mignon?

We had ours bacon-wrapped. I'd have still rather had a burrito or something.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 pm

That looks really really good.....
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm

TG wrote:
That looks really really good.....

It sure does.

Better than the last steak I had.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
TG wrote:
What is mignon?

Filet Mignon Burrito?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 8:58 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
TG wrote:
What is mignon?

Filet Mignon Burrito?

:haha:

I like chicken better than steak whistle
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 9:05 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
TG wrote:
What is mignon?

Filet Mignon Burrito?

:haha:

I like chicken better than steak whistle

Taco Bell has Triple Steak Burritos and Volcano Tacos

They only showed them commercials like 10,000 times during the postseason
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedFri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 am

I saw that commercial...10,001 times in California though :haha:
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedFri Oct 31, 2008 9:55 am

Did anyone get their free taco on Tuesday? I did. Big Smile I also tried a volcano taco.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedFri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Did anyone get their free taco on Tuesday? I did. Big Smile I also tried a volcano taco.

Frown I forgot about the free Taco on the 28th. I got one last year though.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedFri Oct 31, 2008 4:02 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Frown I forgot about the free Taco on the 28th. I got one last year though.

I forgot to get one Smack
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_minipostedFri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
I was there on Tuesday, and forgot to get a free taco!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show   Boy, 8, fatally shoots self with Uzi at gun show Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: