DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Seventh Seal (1957)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Seventh Seal (1957) Empty
PostSubject: The Seventh Seal (1957)   The Seventh Seal (1957) Icon_minipostedFri Oct 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Ingmar Bergman's Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) is the story of a knight returning home to Sweden from the Crusades. Upon his arrival, he realizes that his country has been ravaged by the plague and discovers that he, too is about to die. He meets death almost immediately after the film begins and makes a plea to try and spare his life - he will play death in a game of chess and if he wins he shall live. The remainder of the film depicts the knight as he tries to make the journey home to see his wife with several interruptions by death to continue their chess match. Not a whole lot happens plot-wise as the plot isn't all that important in the greater scheme of this film.

As is typical for a foreign film, I didn't really notice much in the way of the acting. I suppose it was good, but I wasn't wowed by any of it. The actor playing death was kind of creepy, so that is probably a plus. As this film is Swedish, I haven't heard of any of its actors.

As a "serious" film, the film is meant to be analyzed. Since I've only seen it once and haven't spent much time thinking about it, most of the films themes went over my head. The chess match between the knight and death is probably a metaphor suggesting that everyone is playing a chess match with death - the better one plays the longer one lives. As the title suggests (seven seals is an allusion to the book of Revelations), the film has a fairly substantial religious connotation. The film is pretty harsh on religion as the clergy offer no relief to the plague sufferers and are represented as being no better than thieves.

While this film is a masterpiece of both Swedish cinema and cinema in general, I didn't find it nearly that enjoyable. It's a difficult film to watch once and appreciate so I might enjoy it more after a second viewing. Still, I found it better than other serious films like The Rules of the Game. I'd recommend this to someone looking for something complicated, but it's probably not a good choice for someone looking for an action-packed film.

72/100
C-

UP NEXT: To be determined.
Back to top Go down

The Seventh Seal (1957)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: