DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Brewers manager and GM News

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Brewers manager and  GM News Empty
PostSubject: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Friday, October 17, 2008
Sveum won't be Brewers manager; GM Melvin gets extension
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Doug Melvin will get a three-year contract extension as general manager of the Milwaukee Brewers, but the team also said Friday that Dale Sveum is no longer under consideration to become manager.

Sveum was promoted from his coaching position and served as interim manager after Ned Yost was fired with 12 games left in the regular season.

The Brewers reached the postseason for the first time since 1982, but lost to Philadelphia in four games in the opening round of the playoffs.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:05 pm

10/17/08 10:53 PM ET
Melvin given three-year extension
Sveum will not be considered for team's managerial post
MLB.com

The Brewers made two announcements Friday, one spelling good news for the general manager and the other signaling the end of a brief but memorable managerial effort.

The ballclub revealed that it has given a three-year contract extension to Doug Melvin, who will remain with the organization as executive vice president and general manager through the 2012 season.

The Brewers also made it known that Dale Sveum, who became interim manager of the team on Sept. 15 and led the Brewers to the National League Wild Card berth, will not be in the mix for the manager's job.

Under Sveum, the Brewers went 7-5 over the final 12 games of the regular season before falling to Philadelphia, 3-1, in the NL Division Series. Sveum previously served on the Brewers coaching staff as third-base coach (2006, '08) and bench coach (2007).

Sveum said he was surprised when told Friday afternoon that he would not be among the contenders for the club's managerial position.

"When you're thrown in the job and you get to the playoffs -- you do what you were asked to do ... Obviously, they want to find a more experienced manager," Sveum said.

"I was behind the 8-ball. The 16 days [I managed] don't measure up with guys with more experience, but I'll stake my 16 days up against anyone thrown into that situation. I was very confident in my ability to do this. It's something I've dreamed of, something I've prepared myself for. It was fun. I enjoyed the opportunity. I thank the Brewers for the opportunity they gave me."

Hiring a new manager will be one of the first tasks facing Melvin, who praised Sveum's contributions to the organization.

"Dale is a solid baseball man," Melvin said in a statement. "He is a loyal and hard-working individual who will get a high recommendation from me to our new manager to remain on the coaching staff. This decision allows us to widen our search to experienced managerial candidates."

Melvin recently completed his sixth season with the Brewers as the club reached the postseason for the first time since 1982.

"This season, we reached a significant milestone by advancing to the postseason, and this could not have been accomplished without the efforts of Doug Melvin and his staff," Brewers chairman and principal owner Mark Attanasio said in a statement. "Since I first began working with Doug four years ago, one constant has been his unfailing leadership as we have worked toward building a consistently competitive team. He is one of the most respected individuals in the game, and we are proud to have him as a key member of the Milwaukee Brewers."

Melvin was named executive vice president and general manager of the Brewers on Sept. 26, 2002. He became the eighth general manager in franchise history. Under his leadership, the Brewers have produced consecutive winning seasons for the first time since 1991 and 1992.

"I appreciate that Mark Attanasio and the ownership group have shown confidence in me in extending my contract," Melvin said in a statement. "It was the goal for me and my staff to change the culture and performance of the Brewers organization. Now I am energized to sustain the success for the city and the great fans that supported us through the rebuilding years. To show how I feel about the community, my family and I are donating $25,000 a year to charitable causes in the city of Milwaukee."

The Brewers also announced that hitting coach Jim Skaalen will not be offered a contract for 2009.
"We appreciate all the hard work and dedication that Jim brought to the organization," Melvin said. "Jim asked to remain with the Brewers, and we will explore every opportunity to grant this request."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Brewers won't be shit when they lose their top pitchers to free agency
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:08 pm

This was their year

They be lucky to win 80 games in 2009
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_minipostedThu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 pm

10/30/08 7:59 PM ET
Brewers name Macha manager
Former A's skipper won two division titles with Oakland

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Doug Melvin and Ken Macha go back. Way back.

Not just to 2002, when Brewers general manager Melvin nearly offered then-A's bench coach Macha a job to manage in Milwaukee, but to 1972. Melvin's first professional baseball assignment was to throw batting practice to a slugging Pirates infield prospect.

"There was a big guy gripping a bat in the batter's box and it was [Macha]," Melvin said. "I can remember to this day, looking down to the plate and he's gripping that bat. I was scared to death. ... I said, 'If I hit this big donkey in the head, he's going to be coming after me.'"

On Thursday they met under much less adversarial circumstances. Melvin introduced Macha as the 17th manager in Brewers history.

Melvin referred to Macha, 58, as a "baseball lifer," and noted that they both paid their dues in the Minor Leagues. The men also took an eerily similar path to Milwaukee. Melvin was dismissed by the Rangers in 2001, then spent one year as a Red Sox consultant before the Brewers hired him. Macha was dismissed by the A's two days after the team was swept by the Tigers in the 2006 American League Championship Series, then spent two years as a Red Sox television analyst before getting another shot on Tuesday.

"I got let go myself, so I'm a big believer in second chances," Melvin said.

Macha's second chance comes in the form of a two-year contract with the Brewers after edging former Mets manager Willie Randolph for the job.Former D-backs skipper Bob Brenly also interviewed as Melvin sought an experienced replacement for Dale Sveum, who managed the Brewers for 12 regular-season games and four postseason games after Ned Yost was dismissed in mid-September.

Melvin said that along with experience, he was seeking a new viewpoint from outside the organization. Still, Sveum is expected to return to the coaching staff, which could be announced on Friday.

Macha inherits a Brewers team coming off its first postseason appearance in 26 years that bears some similarities to the Oakland teams that he managed to the fourth-best record in baseball from 2003-2006. Macha pointed in particular to 2005, when the A's had traded away ace pitchers Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder, comparing that situation to the uncertain future of Brewers free agents CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets.

Before accepting the Brewers job, Macha sought advice from two friends in the scouting business -- one was Nationals scouting supervisor Jeff Zona -- about Milwaukee's chances over the next few seasons. He liked what he heard.

"I look at the young players on the field and see tremendous upside," Macha said of Milwaukee. "They've already had a great amount of success, and to try to get to their potential will be the challenge for myself and my coaching staff."

Macha has spent 35 seasons in professional baseball including eight seasons as a manager -- four in Boston's Minor League chain and then four in the big leagues with Oakland -- without a losing record. During his eight seasons in Oakland -- four as the team's bench coach before taking over as manager -- the team finished in first or second place every year.

The A's were 368-280 under Macha, the fourth-best mark in baseball in that four-year span. His .568 winning percentage is the second-best in A's franchise history behind Dick Williams' .603.

Yet he was let go two days after the A's were swept in the 2006 American League Championship Series by the Detroit Tigers. Two days after that came a newspaper report that quoted a number of players as critical of Macha, citing among their beefs a lack of communication and the perception that he did not stick up for players.

Macha addressed those issues at length on Thursday in a sometimes tense back-and-forth with Milwaukee reporters. In fact, the first question he was asked was not about his vision for the Brewers, but about the circumstances surrounding his dismissal from the A's.

"The bottom line is this: The manager is responsible for wins and losses," Macha said. "The amount of respect that you get from the players is shown by the intensity with which they play. If you take a look at our teams in Oakland, they always played better as the season went on. I just let the record sit the way it is. We always won games there in Oakland."

Macha that the questions about his dismissal from Oakland probably played a role in his two-year layoff from managing.

"When you get dismissed, there has to be a reason," Macha said. "Whatever reason it be, it is going to stick with you. I know the difference between perception and reality, and I am just going to leave it at that."

Melvin was certainly aware of the questions surrounding Macha's departure, so he sought or received unsolicited recommendations from a number of sources, including Red Sox manager Terry Francona and Rays manager Joe Maddon, both of whom have coached with Macha. Brewers pitcher Jeff Suppan, who played under Macha at Double-A Trenton in 1995 and Triple-A Pawtucket in 1997, also called with an endorsement.

Melvin already had done some of his homework six years earlier. When Melvin took over as Brewers GM at the end of the 2002 season, Macha was one of five finalists for the managerial opening and may have been Melvin's frontrunner. But when A's manager Art Howe left to manage the Mets, Macha decided to remain in Oakland to fill that vacancy instead.

He skirted around the issue of his frosty relationship with A's GM Billy Beane on Thursday, saying only that he looked forward to working with Melvin who is, "more of a delegator. He's going to let me go out and do my job as manager, and I am going to be very grateful for that."

The Brewers decided on Macha over Brenly and Randolph as early as Sunday and were waiting for the World Series to end to make the formal announcement. The Phillies did the Brewers a favor by winning the championship on Wednesday night; had the Series shifted back to Tampa Bay, the Brewers were considering asking Major League Baseball to waive the moratorium on making news so they could name Macha on Thursday. Melvin leaves town for the Managers Meetings on Saturday and wanted the staff settled before then.

The Pirates selected Pittsburgh native Macha in the sixth round of the 1972 First-Year Player Draft, and he played parts of six Major League seasons, primarily as a third baseman. He then played four seasons in Japan before beginning his coaching career in Montreal in 1986.

Adam McCalvy is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brewers manager and GM News   Brewers manager and  GM News Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Brewers manager and GM News
Page 1 of 1