DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Dead Man (1995)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Dead Man (1995) Empty
PostSubject: Dead Man (1995)   Dead Man (1995) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 am

Dead Man is a film about a man named William Blake. He comes west from Cleveland for a job, but the job is gone. He is nearly murdered and then blamed for the death of two people. He tries to escape where he meets a Native American named Nobody who helps him kill some white people before he dies. While telling this story, the film has numerous sequences where little happens other than just some background noise. The story was slightly interesting at times, but mostly it came off as mind-numbingly slow and the plot felt almost nonexistent. While some films can be enjoyable without much focus on the plot (most notably ), this film is not.

The film stars Johnny Depp as William Blake and Gary Farmer as Nobody. While they are adequate, the film is not dialogue-heavy and their roles are not particularly memorable. The film contains numerous supporting characters who are equally forgettable. One worth mentioning is a factory owner, played by Robert Mitchum. While his performance hardly stands out, it is noteworthy in that it is the last film appearance for Mitchum.

Stylistically, this film is shot in black and white. Unlike other modern black and white films like Schindler's List there appears to be no reason for this film to be shot in black and white. While lack of color is clearly not a detriment to a film as films have been in black and white throughout film history, I fail to see why the director chose to use black and white in a film made in 1995.

Also worth noting is the film's score which is by Neil Young. While I do appreciate Neil Young's music, I was not particularly impressed with his work in this film. Although the music is quite distinct, it did not come off as all that impressive and is vastly inferior to scores in other westerns such as those by Ennio Morricone, most notable in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Overall, there is not much to like about this film. While it is said to be a western, it is not like any other western I have seen. While westerns typically have a lot of action, this film has almost none. The director called the film a psychedelic western, and that probably fits the film better than calling just a western. The film is probably trying to make some sort of point, but I don't know what. This film might be worth seeing for fans of westerns or Johnny Depp, but I wouldn't recommend it.

33/100
F

UP NEXT: Another western.
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Dead Man (1995) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Man (1995)   Dead Man (1995) Icon_minipostedWed Oct 15, 2008 9:05 am

that movie must suck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro

Dead Man (1995)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: