DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS

Go down 
+3
catbox_9
bobrob2004
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am

Too Bad Red Sox Nation

Go wear your Red Sox gear at a Pats Game

Or a Boston College Game

Cause you ain't gonna be wearing Red Sox stuff at Fenway until Next April
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 am

Red Sox are Done

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 am

Curse of the Rays!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 3:41 am

Yes! Die Red Sox Die!!!

C'mon Rays, sweep the Phillies. Beat them so bad they beg for mercy after the first game and beat them worse in each subsequent game!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Phillies - Rays WS...yawn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 1:24 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

No
I think it's going to be exciting!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 2:06 pm

cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

No
I think it's going to be exciting!

Either the Rays will win their first WS

or Phillies first WS win since 1980

Beats seeing Red Sox Nation
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Go Devil Rays!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 5:26 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Go Devil Rays!

You said Devil

They got the Devil out

That's why they in the WS lol!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 5:40 pm

I'll keep calling them Devil Rays....at least for another 9 years or so. They were Devil Rays a lot longer so that's what I'll call them. You can't just up and change your name as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I'll keep calling them Devil Rays....at least for another 9 years or so. They were Devil Rays a lot longer so that's what I'll call them. You can't just up and change your name as far as I'm concerned.

They still kept the name Rays

Charlie Finley changed the Oakland's name from Athletics to Oakland A's in the Early 70's
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:02 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

boy, that logic makes a lot of sense! Head Slap

Even the folks in FL, (and I was one of them) hated that name. The people liked Sting Rays, and other types of rays.

Go RAYS!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:08 pm

RAYS

RAYS

RAYS
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Good thing Catbox doesn't work for the Rays

They fine their employees 1 dollar everytime they say Devil Rays

Catbox be owning them money on payday
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm

I like the Rays uniforms

More traditional than the D-Rays ones
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:28 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Even the folks in FL, (and I was one of them) hated that name. The people liked Sting Rays, and other types of rays.

Go RAYS!

It makes me mad they changed it because it was "offensive". There are REAL animals called devil rays. Should they have their name changed, too? There's always talk about changing the hockey team the New Jersey Devils' name, too. It has nothing to do with Satan - they're named after the Jersey Devil.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:30 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Go RAYS!

It makes me mad they changed it because it was "offensive". There are REAL animals called devil rays. Should they have their name changed, too? There's always talk about changing the hockey team the New Jersey Devils' name, too. It has nothing to do with Satan - they're named after the Jersey Devil.

They changed the Washington Bullets to the Wizards because of all the gun violence in DC
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 6:31 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Go RAYS!

I agree with you Cat
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

On an unrelated note, I kept calling the Nationals the Expos the first year they moved :haha:

Does the location change bother you also? The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and the Florida Marlins are going to be changed to the Miami Marlins when they get a new stadium.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 21, 2008 12:14 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

On an unrelated note, I kept calling the Nationals the Expos the first year they moved :haha:

Does the location change bother you also? The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and the Florida Marlins are going to be changed to the Miami Marlins when they get a new stadium.

The next time I refer to them as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (or Los Angeles Angels for that matter) will be the first. They're the Anaheim Angels - they play in Anaheim which any Californian will tell you is not even close to being the same thing as Los Angeles. Would you be offended (or think I was ignorant) if I said Ann Arbor and Detroit were basically the same? They're about as equal as LA and Anaheim are.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 21, 2008 12:32 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

The next time I refer to them as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (or Los Angeles Angels for that matter) will be the first. They're the Anaheim Angels - they play in Anaheim which any Californian will tell you is not even close to being the same thing as Los Angeles. Would you be offended (or think I was ignorant) if I said Ann Arbor and Detroit were basically the same? They're about as equal as LA and Anaheim are.

That doesn't bother me. I mean they call the Pistons the Detroit Pistons when they play in Auburn Hills...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

That doesn't bother me. I mean they call the Pistons the Detroit Pistons when they play in Auburn Hills...

But they never used to call them the Auburn Hills Pistons. The Angels have never played in Los Angeles (actually they have, but that doesn't really count since it was only for 5 years and at the time they WERE called the Los Angeles Angels [NOT of Anaheim]).
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

But they never used to call them the Auburn Hills Pistons. The Angels have never played in Los Angeles (actually they have, but that doesn't really count since it was only for 5 years and at the time they WERE called the Los Angeles Angels [NOT of Anaheim]).

The Angels were known as the LA Angels in the early 60s; changed to the California Angels by the mid 60's, Anaheim in the mid to late 90s and now LA of Anaheim Angels

I like California Angels the best
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 am

10/28/08 2:04 AM ET
Game 5 ramifications for Rays, Phillies
Once contest resumes, interesting scenarios for both clubs

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Welcome to uncharted waters.

With the first suspended game in World Series history set to resume on Tuesday -- or perhaps even Wednesday -- the implications stretch beyond tickets and travel. The Rays and Phillies have baseball questions to answer with 3 1/2 innings left to play.

It gets interesting right from the top, as Philadelphia will send a pinch-hitter to the plate to open the bottom of the sixth inning. Cole Hamels' work is quite certainly done. Rays manager Joe Maddon said on Monday night that Grant Balfour, who pitched the fifth for Tampa Bay after Scott Kazmir was pulled, is his pitcher to start the sixth.

"Balfour is still in the game," Maddon said. "The game still has Grant on the lineup card. So as of right now, Grant will be pitching."

But there's an excellent chance that will change quickly.

Most of Philadelphia's dangerous pinch-hitters bat from the left side, most notably Matt Stairs. So Phillies manager Charlie Manuel will likely summon a lefty as his first hitter once the game resumes, and Maddon would likely counter with a southpaw on the mound. In fact, Maddon would be wise to warm up a lefty at the same time Balfour warms up.

Both teams have stocked bullpens, and both 'pens will have an extra day of rest. No pinch-hitters have been used, and the switch from Kazmir to Balfour is the only pitching change. So both managers have a full complement of tactical options once the game gets back under way.

So in the practical sense, there's no real advantage going forward. Yet Tampa Bay has to feel on some level that it has pulled something of an escape. The Rays outlasted Hamels, and they're not behind. They may have the starting pitching advantage in Games 6 and 7, should those occur, and they'd also have home field.

"I think everybody would say that, but they're up, 3-1," said Rays reliever Trever Miller. "And those guys that we were supposed to beat, beat us. So I don't consider us favorites. Our backs are still against the wall. Just because we got a game suspended and tied it up, we haven't won that game either. We've got this thing condensed down now to hopefully coming back and playing tomorrow, three innings, the rest of the game, and winning that."

Both of these bullpens are excellent, though Philadelphia has at least one advantage in that it needs three fewer outs. The Phils also have all of their end-of-game options intact, while the Rays do not.

"We do feel good," said Phillies closer Brad Lidge. "But that being said, they have a lot of good pitchers out of their bullpen also. You never know what's going to happen in an unusual situation like this. I feel like we've got the horses to get it done, but I'm sure they do, too. It's going to be tough, but somebody's going to have to scratch out a run."

One intriguing wrinkle going forward is this. If the game doesn't resume until Wednesday, that means a potential Game 6 and 7 would be pushed back by a day. Currently, those games would probably take place on Wednesday and Thursday. However, if it's a full extra day before Game 5 is resumed, those games would be moved back at least one day and possibly two.

That means that if, for whatever reason, either team preferred to use its Game 4 starter in Game 7, rather than its Game 3 starter, it would have the option. Game 4 took place on Sunday, so a Game 7 on Friday would provide four full days of rest for Joe Blanton and Andy Sonnanstine. At the very least, Blanton and Sonnanstine would be available to pitch in relief as much as needed in that game. Moreover, Hamels becomes an option for at least some work on three days' rest in such a scenario.

But first, the Rays and Phillies have to get to, and through, Game 5. That could be Tuesday -- and it could be Wednesday. It could start with Chris Coste against Balfour, and it could start with Matt Stairs facing David Price.

Uncharted waters, indeed.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 am

• World Series schedule
  • Rays forced to scramble for hotel
  • Phils likely to let 'pen finish Game 5
  • In a first, World Series game suspended
  • Selig: Rain would not shorten Game 5
  • MLB to monitor forecast for Tuesday
  • Selig, umps discuss suspension 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Video Watch
  • Bodley's take on suspension 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Video Watch
  • Duquette on decision to suspend 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Video Watch
  • Suspensions explained 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Video Watch
  • Maddon on suspended Game 5 (video)
  • Recap: TB 2, PHI 2, Susp/6 (video)
  • Phils react to Game 5 suspension (video)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 5 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5