DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Empty
PostSubject: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 7:42 pm

09/28/2008 1:46 PM ET
Shortstop feels he has unfinished business to take care of
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Edgar Renteria would like to return to the Tigers, whether or not the team picks up his contract option for next year.

To him, it's about unfinished business on the field -- not just for himself, but for the team.

"I feel comfortable here," Renteria said Sunday morning. "I feel embarrassed, because I'm the kind of player that I love to win, and this year, we didn't play the way we have to play. I feel embarrassed for myself. I'm not talking about anybody else. It's just myself, and I feel disappointed. That's why I want to come back and show I'm ready to go."

Before that's decided, though, the Tigers have their side of the business to address.

Renteria's $12 million club option is the last piece of the free-agent contract he signed when he joined the Red Sox after the 2004 season. He has been traded twice since then, heading to Detroit last offseason in the deal that sent right-hander Jair Jurrjens and outfield prospect Gorkys Hernandez to Atlanta. Renteria's early-season struggles and Jurrjens' success with the Braves have put more attention on that deal, but it has also raised the question of what the Tigers will do at shortstop in 2009.

Renteria entered Sunday with a .269 batting average, 22 doubles, 10 home runs and 55 RBIs in 137 games. Virtually all his offensive numbers will end down from last year in Atlanta, despite playing in more games this season. His batting average, on-base and slugging percentages, moreover, are set to be his lowest since 2001.

Parse into the stats, however, and Renteria is batting .294 with a .810 OPS since the All-Star break, compared to .254 and .627 in the season's first half. He has 17 doubles in 194 at-bats since the break, 12 more than he had going in.

"When I see my numbers, it's not like a bad year," Renteria said. "It's like an all right year. It's not the kind of year I put up before, but that's happened to me twice already when I was going to be a free agent. I don't know, maybe [it was in] the back of my mind, because I never think about it when I play."

The Tigers must decide soon after the World Series whether to exercise Renteria's option or decline it, which would make him a free agent. While he's coming off a down year, including by his own standards, the next question would be how the Tigers would replace Renteria at shortstop.

That makes the issue tougher, especially with no heir apparent in Detroit's farm system. That also raises the possibility that the Tigers could decline Renteria's option and try to re-sign him at a lower salary.

That would not be a deal-breaker with Renteria, who wants to return one way or the other.

"I want to come back," Renteria said, "because I really liked it."

How much money would play into it on his side wasn't clear. When asked about accepting a lower salary than the option, Renteria indicated it isn't the most pressing issue for him.

"I think I've made enough already," he said. "I want another championship."

But Renteria also wants to make a fair salary.

"You have to make what you deserve," he said. "But that's not why you play. You play because you love the game. You play hard."

Renteria believes Detroit is the best place for him to try to get another title.

"Next year, I know that the situation is going to be different," Renteria said. "That never happens to a good team twice in a row. I still believe this is a good team, and I feel that next year, this team can go all the way through. That's why I want to be part of the situation, you know?"

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 8:14 pm

I would rather he not...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 8:23 pm

tough Censored
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Eh, we do need a shortstop for next year, and this team may just gain some chemistry if no trades happen, so I say try it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 9:20 pm

I can see the Tigers offering him less money, and add incentives for production! If he turns it down, then good reddens. If he really wants to play hard, then give it a try... we have others who would be glad to take his place, if he is not excellent again, next year.

Remember, it is sometimes hard to get players to want to play for a last place team!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09   Renteria wants to return to Tigers in '09 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1