DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez

Go down 
+3
SoulRat
mrsrabelo
bobrob2004
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Empty
PostSubject: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 7:17 pm

The Tigers have decided to fire pitching coach Chuck Hernandez and bullpen coach Jeff Jones, the team announced after today's game.
Advertisement

Detroit manager Jim Leyland said prior to this afternoon’s game that the team was not ready to make any announcement related to its coaching staff, but club officials have indicated for several days that general changes were imminent. The dismissals of Hernandez and Jones are the first of them.

As recently as Friday afternoon, Hernandez said in an interview that he had not been told of his status for 2009 – an ominous sign. The team entered today’s game with a 4.87 ERA, the third-worst in the American League.

Hernandez, 47, has been with the team for three seasons and has one year remaining on his contract. He was in uniform and in the dugout for today’s home finale against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Dontrelle Willis’ season-long control problems created a major disruption to the pitching staff and were certainly a factor in Hernandez’s dismissal. Willis went 0-2 with a 9.38 ERA and pitched only 24 innings after signing a three-year, $29-million contract.

Willis’ best season came in 2005, when he won 22 games for the Florida Marlins. His pitching coach that year was Mark Wiley, who held the same role on the Cleveland teams that reached two World Series in the 1990s.

The Tigers may wish to consider the 60-year-old Wiley for the position, because of his past success and ties to Willis. However, Wiley is under contract with the Marlins through next season, and an industry official told the Free Press that Florida would not likely grant Detroit permission to interview him.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 pm

PARTY!

Bring in Leo Mazzone!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Sad Aww I'm gunna miss Jeff J.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 8:24 pm

clap clap clap clap

oh yeah... clap
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Tigers coaches Hernandez and Jones fired
by Steve Kornacki
Sunday September 28, 2008, 5:54 PM

DETROIT -- Tigers pitching coach Chuck Hernandez and bullpen coach Jeff Jones both will be relieved of their duties after Monday's game in Chicago with the White Sox.

"It's just one of those unfortunate things," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said, "but you know somebody's going to pay. Next year, it will be me."

The Tigers are in last place in the Central Division at 74-87, and the pitching staff's 4.88 ERA is 12th in the American League.

"I feel very bad for those guys," Leyland said. "They are both very good and it just didn't work out."

Hernandez and Jones requested not to be interviewed Sunday after the news was released.

"I feel bad, too, because I feel it's partially my fault," said staff ace Justin Verlander, who was 11-17 with a 4.84 ERA. "I was one of the guys on the staff who didn't pitch their best. And the ax fell on (Hernandez), fairly or unfairly."

Leyland said Jones, 52, who had been the pitching coach for the Toledo Mud Hens before getting hired by the Tigers Nov. 9, 2006, likely will get another job in the organization. Hernandez, 47, was the pitching coach for the 2006 World Series team and also has been the pitching coach for the Tampa Bay Rays and Los Angeles Angels.

Leyland said he will be allowed to pick the new coaches, while general manager Dave Dombrowski has veto power.

Asked for the qualities a new pitching coach should have to deal with the current staff, Leyland said, "At least (being) one of the apostles."

Brandon Inge, a catcher most of the season, took the news hard.

"We will miss both of them a lot," Inge said. "Today is one of the more frustrating days I've been a part of. Jeff Jones and Chuck Hernandez were two of the guys who helped me out all year and kept me sane.

"It drives me nuts that two guys who don't deserve to get fired did."

Leyland is under contract for next year, but wants a one-year extension.

"And I know my situation already," Leyland said.

Dombrowski will make an announcement on Leyland's contract if it is extended.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Dang. Its one of those things that you wanted to happen but when it did you were sad.

Jonesy for pitching coach!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Who did Trammel have as pitching coach?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Who did Trammel have as pitching coach?

Bob "old man" Cluck.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 pm

I hope nothing happens to Pickens now. *is worried*
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:00 am

gdennis59 wrote:
Dang. Its one of those things that you wanted to happen but when it did you were sad.

Jonesy for pitching coach!

I am not

Hernandez Sucks!

I would be Yay2 if Todd Jones is the new coach;

pray Let Jones be new pitching coach!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:13 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
PARTY!

Bring in Leo Mazzone!

PARTY!

Bring in Leo Mazzone!

Oh wait, someone already said that. No sense saying something stupid just so I don't copy what someone else said - we'll take Mazzone Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:13 am

gs78 wrote:

:puke2:

In fairness to Jones, I wouldn't want Rogers to be the coach either. Not only do neither of them have any experience at all as a pitching coach, neither of them are HOF-worthy pitchers.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:27 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

:puke2:

In fairness to Jones, I wouldn't want Rogers to be the coach either. Not only do neither of them have any experience at all as a pitching coach, neither of them are HOF-worthy pitchers.

Jones is the greatest relief pitcher in Tigers History

He has done a lot more on the field than most Pitching coaches did in their careers
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 am

gs78 wrote:

Because there's SO many great ones to choose from, right?

gs78 wrote:

He has done a lot more on the field than most Pitching coaches did in their careers

While true, being good at something doesn't make you a great teacher. Think back to the better teachers you had in school - they probably didn't go to Harvard. Being good at something is not a requirement to teaching something.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:41 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Because there's SO many great ones to choose from, right?

gs78 wrote:

While true, being good at something doesn't make you a great teacher. Think back to the better teachers you had in school - they probably didn't go to Harvard. Being good at something is not a requirement to teaching something.

Willie Hernandez was awesome in1984

Henneman had a few decent years; John Hiller had a decent career as a relief pitcher
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 am

Hernandez didn't do a ton other than 1984. Todd Jones never had a season even close to Hernandez's 1984.

You used the word decent to describe the other 2. That's enough said.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Hernandez didn't do a ton other than 1984. Todd Jones never had a season even close to Hernandez's 1984.

You used the word decent to describe the other 2. That's enough said.

Jones had 42 saves in 2000

More than Hernandez in 1984

Jones Rules!

Jones was one of the most underrated relief pitchers in MLB

Just like K-Rod is the most overrated
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 am

Jones, 2000....
2-4 with a 3.52 ERA (4.68 league ERA....133 ERA+)
64 IP
1.438 WHIP
1 out saves: 5
3 out saves: 35
4 out saves: 2
Total saves: 42
Blown Saves: 4
Save %: 91.3%

Hernandez, 1984....
9-3 with a 1.92 ERA (3.92 league ERA.....204 ERA+)
140.3 IP
0.941 WHIP

1 out saves: 2
2 out saves: 3
3 out saves: 6
4 out saves: 1
5 out saves: 2
6 out saves: 10
7 out saves: 2
9 out saves: 5
12 out saves: 1

Total saves: 32
Hernandez didn't record his first save of 3 or fewer outs until 7/19, the team's 65th game of the year
Blown Saves: 1*
Save %: 97.0%

Cy Young Award
AL MVP

To suggest that these two were even reasonably close, is asinine.

------------------

*While Hernandez did technically blow one save in 1984 (in the 160th game of the season - his last attempt that regular season), it is hardly his fault. His line:
0.2 IP, 0H, 0BB, 0R, BS
For some reason, Sparky Anderson decided to bring Hernandez in to pitch in the 8th inning of a meaningless game to protect a 2-1 lead. The Yankees had runners on the corners and just one out making a save nearly impossible and thus ruining Hernandez's perfect season. The first batter hit a weak fly ball to RF and the runner on third scored (run charged to Aurelio Lopez) and Hernandez therefore blew the save. The next batter would also hit a routine fly ball.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 pm

Jones had a better career, though

Plus Hernandez played on the 84 Tigers

2000 Tigers were a lot worse
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm

I really think Jonesy should be the bullpen coach, he did very well throughout his tremednous career, and really would be a good coach I think. Of course Im biased, but dont complain Cat, you would totally say the same for Lincecum.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
I really think Jonesy should be the bullpen coach, he did very well throughout his tremednous career, and really would be a good coach I think. Of course Im biased, but dont complain Cat, you would totally say the same for Lincecum.

No, Lincecum would be a horrendous choice for pitching coach of the Giants even if he blew his arm out tomorrow and could never pitch again. Not saying he could never be a pitching coach, but he has no experience doing it and MLB is not a good place to learn.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

No, Lincecum would be a horrendous choice for pitching coach of the Giants even if he blew his arm out tomorrow and could never pitch again. Not saying he could never be a pitching coach, but he has no experience doing it and MLB is not a good place to learn.

Example: Alan Trammell.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Actually Trammell or Gibson would now make good managers.... whistle
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedMon Sep 29, 2008 11:29 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Actually Trammell or Gibson would now make good managers.... whistle

I respectfully disagree.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 2:48 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

Like having previous experience did wonders for Chuck Hernandez
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 2:51 am

He'd probably have been even worse without experience. It would be asinine to hire a guy like Todd Jones as pitching coach when someone like Leo Mazzone is available.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am

catbox_9 wrote:
He'd probably have been even worse without experience. It would be asinine to hire a guy like Todd Jones as pitching coach when someone like Leo Mazzone is available.

If Mazzone is so great; How come the Orioles let him go after he failed in Baltimore.

Yeah! he was in Atlanta for many years;

And he also had Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux also

Those guys would have been stars even with Chuck Hernandez as their coach
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 3:07 am

Under Mazzone in Baltimore Erik Bedard became a very successful pitcher (not so much without him) as did Adam Loewen Daniel Cabrera.

Also, look at how some of those guys in Atlanta fared after they left Atlanta....Russ Ortiz, Denny Neagle, and Jaret Wright for example were pretty good in Atlanta but significantly worse after leaving.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 3:08 am

Another tidbit....

In his book The Baseball Economist, J.C. Bradbury titles a chapter, "How Good is Leo Mazzone?" Using statistical analysis, he analyzes whether Mazzone had a significant impact upon the pitchers that he coached. The sample is all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. Bradbury found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_minipostedTue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Under Mazzone in Baltimore Erik Bedard became a very successful pitcher (not so much without him) as did Adam Loewen Daniel Cabrera.

Also, look at how some of those guys in Atlanta fared after they left Atlanta....Russ Ortiz, Denny Neagle, and Jaret Wright for example were pretty good in Atlanta but significantly worse after leaving.

That is true

But you could also say that A. Galarraga became successful under Hernandez
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez   Tigers fire coach Chuck Hernandez Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next