DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Andrew Miller

Go down 
+9
bobrob2004
Casey21
TG
prod
SoulRat
mrsrabelo
tigersaint
catbox_9
gs78
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Andrew Miller - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 3:17 am

05/22/2008 11:34 PM ET

Box >

Gem for Miller as Marlins finish sweep
Left-hander sets career high for strikeouts with nine in finale
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Sweeping the National League's best team is tough enough, but to tag losses on their top starting pitchers is clearly something the upstart Marlins can build upon.

As the Fish continued to stun the baseball world, Andrew Miller turned in a career-high nine strikeouts over seven scoreless innings and the Marlins blanked the Diamondbacks, 4-0, on Thursday night before 13,233 at Dolphin Stadium.

Miller, the former first-round pick of the Tigers in 2006, frustrated the NL West-leading Diamondbacks, limiting them to five hits on the day after his 23rd birthday.

Miller (4-3), Logan Kensing and Justin Miller combined to shut out Arizona for the first time this season.

Making the sweep more impressive is Florida beat Micah Owings (5-2), Brandon Webb (9-1) and Dan Haren (5-3). Haren took the loss on Thursday.

"That's a pretty good pitching staff they threw at us," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "They pitched well, and we matched those guys. They didn't pitch horrible. They pitched pretty good themselves. We played pretty good defense. Nobody made mistakes, and we got timely hitting when we needed to."

Miller, a 6-foot-6 lefty with limitless potential, showed why many feel he will eventually blossom into an elite starter.

In the series, Florida's starters -- Mark Hendrickson, Ricky Nolasco and Miller -- combined to yield two runs in 19 innings, an 0.95 ERA.

Now 27-19, the Marlins recorded their fifth shutout of the season.

"It's a lot of fun, I know that, but it also gives this whole team confidence, and it builds our character," said veteran Wes Helms, who had a pinch-hit two-run double that broke the game open in the seventh inning. "It shows this team that we can do big things. We can't just beat the small teams, we can beat the big teams. We've shown that all year this year.

"This was a big series for us, confidence wise."

The Marlins racked up their fourth three-game sweep of the season, two of which have come at home.

For Miller, it was another step in his maturation process. Making his 10th start of the season, the left-hander repeatedly frustrated the Diamondbacks.

On five of his nine strikeouts, he caught Arizona batters looking. And on a number of occasions, the Diamondbacks were upset with home plate umpire Damien Beal's strike zone.

From the dugout, Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin had words on a couple of occasions with Beal.

Miller remained composed throughout, mixing off-speed pitches at 77 mph with fastballs topping at 96 mph. His devastating curve kept hitters off balance, allowing him to zip in fastballs.

"I was able to throw to both sides of the plate on a pretty regular basis," said Miller, who has won four of his last five decisions after a slow start. "That's when you get guys frustrated. If you throw to the same spot all night, they can kind of lock in on an area.

"That's a good sign when you are on the mound, and they're complaining about calls. Obviously that means they're not comfortable. I love it when people complain about a call. It means that I've got something that probably was not a strike, or they were not seeing something there."

As the Diamondbacks exhibited frustration, Miller kept rolling along, matching his career high for innings pitched.

"He did everything we wanted to achieve," catcher Matt Treanor said. "He's been getting better and better with each start. He's thinking. He's trying to figure things out when he's out there. He's improving every time out.

"He knew that if he pitched his game, he'd get some swings and bad contact."

At one point, Gonzalez asked Treanor if Miller was throwing strikes or getting the benefit of calls.

"Even when they got into some hitter counts, they couldn't get good hacks at him, because his ball is pretty lively in that strike zone," Gonzalez said. "I talked to Matty [Treanor], and he was like, 'Those are some pretty good pitches. They're not four or five inches off the plate. They're strikes.' They don't get good reads on it, and they don't get good swings on it."

With the way Miller was throwing, the Marlins didn't need much offense, and Florida struck quickly off Haren.

Hanley Ramirez returned to the leadoff spot for the first time since May 1. He had been hitting third.

The switch paid off immediately. In the first inning, Ramirez tripled to right-center field. With the infield playing deep up the middle, Ramirez scored on Jorge Cantu's RBI groundout to second.

The Marlins padded their lead with a three-run seventh inning. Treanor singled with one out, and Alfredo Amezaga's third hit of the game, a single, put runners at the corners.

With Miller's pitch count at 107, Gonzalez sent in Wes Helms to pinch-hit. Helms came through with a double that scored two and ended Haren's night after 6 1/3 innings. Cantu added an RBI single off Chad Qualls.

About the only downside on Thursday was Dan Uggla went 0-for-4 and had his 11-game hitting streak snapped, which had been the longest active streak in the Major Leagues. The 11 games also matched a career high for the Florida second baseman.

Otherwise, it was an ideal evening that allowed the Marlins to continue to build their self-confidence.

"If we pitch and we catch it, we've got an opportunity to compete," Gonzalez said. "I'm not going to go out and say we're going to win 105 games or anything, but if we do those things, we've got a chance, every night."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 5:29 am

Congrats Mr.Miller! Great stuff! clap clap
I'm happy for you but sad you didn't pitch this gem for the Tigers.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 6:39 am

another "Former Tiger Effect" ! Great job though, Drew!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 9:07 am

Well, I attribute a lot of his current success to good pitching coaching THERE, same goes for JJ at Atlanta! I don't thnk they would be as good here with our pitching coach!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 10:21 am

wonder why JV stuck around? he probably has many teams that would want him!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 10:23 am

He was beautiful last night. Nod Nod
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 10:34 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Well, I attribute a lot of his current success to good pitching coaching THERE, same goes for JJ at Atlanta! I don't thnk they would be as good here with our pitching coach!

I think the simple fact that they believed in him even when he was absolutely horrible in the beginning of the year helped a lot too. He had an era of like 12 something and they kept saying how much they believed in him even when the Marlin fans wanted him to die a slow and painful death. He's been really good the last 4 starts. Most importantly, his confidence is back. He looks really good out there now.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 10:40 am

Soul, ya knew yer boy could do it!!! high 5
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 10:43 am

laprimamirala wrote:

I did Nod Cat can run his mouth all he wants :haha: I'm glad he got the hell away from Chuck Hernandez though Nod Nod
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Tigers are gonna regret trading these guys away
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 1:01 pm

SoulRat wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

I did Nod Cat can run his mouth all he wants :haha: I'm glad he got the hell away from Chuck Hernandez though Nod Nod

Hey, I've got nothing against Miller! I'd be happier if it wasn't against Haren but I'm still happy for him. When the Marlins go to Dodger Stadium this year you can bet your (insert word) I'll be there if Miller pitches.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow, BUG ups to Miller. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 2:09 pm

He looked good on all the ESPN Sports Central clips this morning!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 2:46 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

Hey, I've got nothing against Miller! I'd be happier if it wasn't against Haren but I'm still happy for him. When the Marlins go to Dodger Stadium this year you can bet your (insert word) I'll be there if Miller pitches.

I know you don't, you just Heart to throw in Lincecum's stats LMAO Who the fish won't see this weekend btw Frown

If you do go, you know who to take pics of whistle
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 2:47 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
He looked good on all the ESPN Sports Central clips this morning!

Nod Thud
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm

he's just so nice and young.............
Cool
PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

SoulRat wrote:

If you do go, you know who to take pics of whistle

Nod Too bad I'm poor and can't afford anything but garbage seats there. Censored Dodgers charge $400 for seats equivalent to what I had in Arizona last Sunday - those were only $60. Therefore you won't get great pictures if I'm able to go Sorry
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Dodgers suck Frown

Last edited by SoulRat on Fri May 23, 2008 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedFri May 23, 2008 3:50 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Dodger suck Frown

Nod
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:35 pm

C'mon Andrew Love 2 I know it's against that damn Santana, I'll forgive you if you lose today, but don't TRY to lose :haha:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

GO ANDREW GO!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

We gonna regret trading him
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Big Time
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:43 pm

gs78 wrote:
We gonna regret trading him

Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 8:20 pm

SoulRat wrote:
C'mon Andrew Love 2 I know it's against that damn Santana, I'll forgive you if you lose today, but don't TRY to lose :haha:

LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

LMAO

:haha:

Poor Andrew No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 01, 2008 12:26 pm

In other Miller news...

Today's game on TBS is the Marlins verses the Phillies.

And guess who is starting for the Fish?

Andrew Mark Miller!

I'm extremely excited for this, because of him and the chance that I'll get to see Durbin out of the Phillies's bullpen.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Cool
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Nod C'mon Andrew, fishies need to win today pray
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_minipostedSun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm

GO ANDREW!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller   Andrew Miller - Page 10 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Andrew Miller
Page 10 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next