DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Gold Rush

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 am

There were two versions of this movie, the original silent one in 1925 and a re-release in 1942 with slight modifications. In the 1942 version, a musical score was added plus a narration by Charlie Chaplin himself. Scenes were also edited some more, two notable ones included a subplot being removed and the kiss by Chaplin and Georgia at the end. The one I saw was the 1942 re-release.

Chaplin has said that this is the film that he wants to be most remembered by. The plot is easy to follow, especially with the narration. There were even some on screen visual effects that were impressive for that time. There are 3 famous scenes in this movie that are often parodied...

• Charlie Chaplin eating his boot.
  • Charlie Chaplin doing a dinner roll dance with forks.
  • The house teetering on a cliff with Chaplin and another fellow inside.

This is the first Chaplin silent film to be converted into sound. Also, as a side note, the original role of the leading lady was given to Lita Grey who had previously worked with Chaplin in The Kid. However, Chaplin got her pregnant so she was unable to do it. She was replaced by Georgia Hale.

The acting was great. Anyone who wants a good laugh should watch this movie.

80/100
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedSun Aug 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Love this movie to death. Saw it last week during a Charlie Chaplin marathon. Easily one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm

I watched the silent version. I'll combine the reviews since they're basically the same film...

Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush tells the story of a lone prospector (Charlie Chaplin) in Alaska during the Klondike Gold Rush. Chaplin encounters severe weather and is stranded in a cabin without food. When he is finally able to leave, he goes to an Alaska town and gives up on gold mining. Here, he meets a girl and falls in love which creates further drama. The plot of this film is mostly good. While the first half hour does establish Chaplin's character and includes several memorable scenes, it seemed a little slow-moving. The second half of the film was particularly good although the cabin being blown around in the wind and teetering on the edge of a cliff was highly unrealistic.

In addition to the aforementioned Charlie Chaplin, the film also stars Georgia Hale as Chaplin's love interest. While Hale was not originally for this part, Lita Grey was fired as a result of a scandal giving the part to Hale. Interestingly enough, Hale was also cast in City Lights after Virginia Cherrill was fired, Cherrill was eventually rehired. In this film, Chaplin played his part rather well. While there were no scenes quite as memorable as the final scene in City Lights, Chaplin's performance was still quite good.

This film is particularly memorable for several scenes. While stranded in a cabin, Chaplin and another character eat one of Chaplin's boots. Shortly thereafter, the other character imagines Chaplin as a chicken. This is particularly well-done especially considering the time at which it was made. Perhaps the most famous scene is Chaplin performing a dance with dinner rolls and forks. While a similar scene was performed in Buster Keaton's The Rough House, this is the more famous version. Lastly, the scene with a cabin teetering on a cliff, while unrealistic, is quite memorable.

Overall, this film is far more comical than the other two Chaplin films I have seen, The Great Dictator and City Lights. Despite the comedy, the plot drags early on and the climax is rather unrealistic. Chaplin often stated this was the film he would most like to be remembered by, and it is a solid effort.

78/100
C+

UP NEXT: Alfred Hitchcock's only period piece, Under Capricorn.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 pm

clap Your score isn't far off from mine. I liked the comedy so I ignored most of the unrealistic parts. If you really want to see a good comedy by Chaplin, you should see The Circus.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:01 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
clap Your score isn't far off from mine. I liked the comedy so I ignored most of the unrealistic parts. If you really want to see a good comedy by Chaplin, you should see The Circus.

You should see the silent version of this one. I was watching some of the special features on the second disc (for some reason one of the special features is the original version of the film and not the rerelease confused ) and they showed a couple scenes from the sound version...wow, that looked awful. It was just Chaplin saying what was going on and talking for everybody No And they left out the kiss at the end! That's important!

I don't have the The Circus DVD No I can always download it or buy it though (it's part of the Chaplin DVD set volume 2).
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:06 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
and they showed a couple scenes from the sound version...wow, that looked awful. It was just Chaplin saying what was going on and talking for everybody No And they left out the kiss at the end! That's important!

Yeah, that's they showed on TCM, so that's the one I saw.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, and on the DVD the new version is on the first disc. Damn people need to not be afraid of silent films! Why not take non-silent films and narrate them, too.

Like take Star Wars - wouldn't it be better if during the light saber battles someone was saying something like "Kenobi swings, it hits Vader's light saber. Vader swings back. Still everybody lives. Another swing, another block. Vader swings...down goes Obi-Wan! It's over! BLAH! " Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 pm

Stunned
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 pm

cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked
Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked

confused
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 pm

cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked

confused

lol2
Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:11 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked

confused

lol2

Um, I think it was that Ryan actually cursed...he's obviously realized that I don't have a problem with that kind of language.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 pm

cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked

confused

lol2

Um, I think it was that Ryan actually cursed...he's obviously realized that I don't have a problem with that kind of language.

Frown You ruined the pointless smilies chain...

I thought you were surprised that he watched a movie, even though he's averaged about 1/day since March.
Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:16 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Stunned

Shocked

confused

lol2

Frown You ruined the pointless smilies chain...

I thought you were surprised that he watched a movie, even though he's averaged about 1/day since March.

Group Hug
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:24 pm

cdurbfan22 wrote:
Ryan actually cursed
I didn't swear. Oh, that isn't swearing. Don't you learn about dams in school?

Besides, I only don't swear when I'm talking to you - bobrob and I swear at each other like sailors...you should see our PMs whistle
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
1/day

2 today Big Smile
Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 11:43 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:
Ryan actually cursed
I didn't swear. Oh, that isn't swearing. Don't you learn about dams in school?

Besides, I only don't swear when I'm talking to you - bobrob and I swear at each other like sailors...you should see our PMs whistle

I'd like to see those. Wink
Speaking of PMs...sorry for my two sent ones today...you didn't reply so I guess you were annoyed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Gold Rush Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gold Rush   The Gold Rush Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Gold Rush
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: