DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Empty
PostSubject: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 4:59 am

First off, this movie is R-Rated and not one I would recommend to those looking for good, wholesome fun. Of course everyone already knows this.

The Silence of the Lambs is about a psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Anthony Hopkins) who is in jail for being a serial killer and cannibal. An FBI agent, Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is sent to interview him. There are a series of murders somewhat similar to those of Dr. Lechter's and Starling attempts to get information from Lechter. The plot starts out a little slow but eventually picks up and gets rather interesting and suspenseful.

As previously stated, the film stars Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. Both of these two do quite a good job, but Hopkins' performance is especially memorable. They were rewarded with Oscars for their performances even though Hopkins was on screen for less than 17 minutes (which to date is the shortest performance ever for a best actor winner). Despite very little screen time, it seems like Hopkins is involved with the movie throughout so I would say his Oscar was deserving and he wasn't just a supporting actor.

This film is also notable for winning best picture, best actor, best actress, best director, and best screenplay. This is just the third picture (after It Happened One Night and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) to win the "Oscar Slam".

The movie is not perfect. The ending left a little to be desired but that was okay. Of course a sequel (and now several) were eventually made. While I probably shouldn't penalize a film because a sequel was eventually made, I am going to. Films should be able to stand on their own. Honestly, the ending here is pretty good and for audiences in 1991 they probably didn't feel like they needed a sequel. Since I known one exists I want to see it hence a penalty. Also, a few times characters make some moves that in retrospect looked pretty stupid, but that's not really a fault of the movie as people are indeed fallible.

Overall, this is a must-see for any fan of horror films. It's similar to something made today so even people afraid of new movies shouldn't be afraid of this - it is new after all. Keep in mind, this is reasonably violent so people that prefer no violence probably should avoid this.

84.5/100
B

UP NEXT: A mediocre Hitchcock, The Trouble With Harry
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 5:04 am

This film is probably a must-see for South Park fans. I've seen the episode numerous times where Cartman was "playing lambs" and never understood what he was doing and why there was a huge hole in his basement with his doll in it with a bottle of lotion and a basket.

I'd say it's a must-see for The Simpsons fans as Hannibal's outfit at the airport as been parodied three times on the show, but The Simpsons isn't nearly as violent as this movie whereas most South Park fans wouldn't be offended by this film.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm

I love this movie, but I am a huge Jodie Foster fan. Still, excellent movie.

94/100

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:07 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I love this movie, but I am a huge Jodie Foster fan. Still, excellent movie.

94/100

thumbs up

I'm assuming you can answer this...

are any of the other movies in this series good or worth seeing? There's actually 5 in the series although Foster is in just one and Hopkins is only in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 pm

I haven't seen any of the sequels Sorry This film was excellent and didn't need a Censored sequel :haha:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I haven't seen any of the sequels Sorry This film was excellent and didn't need a Censored sequel :haha:

LOL. What about Manhunter? Technically The Silence of the Lambs is the sequel to that.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:13 pm

Nope. I have all the audiobooks though. One of these days I might actually listen to them ashamed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Nope. I have all the audiobooks though. One of these days I might actually listen to them ashamed

Books?! :puke2:

I'm too illiterate/dumb to read/listen to books. It's easier to watch the movies and then any relevant South Park / The Simpsons. I can't wait until the next time I see Cartman playing lambs :haha:
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Yes, books! LMAO

My favorite thing that was relevant to this movie was in Clerks 2 when Jay and Silent Bob are outside the burger place and Jay gets naked and starts doing that crazy dance omg LMAO LMAO LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:38 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Yes, books! LMAO

My favorite thing that was relevant to this movie was in Clerks 2 when Jay and Silent Bob are outside the burger place and Jay gets naked and starts doing that crazy dance omg LMAO LMAO LMAO

Hey, my sister's boyfriend mentioned that, too when we were watching it. I haven't seen Clerks 1 or 2 so no comment on my end. I just picked up on The Simpsons and South Park references.

I thought there was a King of the Hill reference (when they go to the wrong house with the flower delivery truck and packages that probably have guns in them) but that may have been too subtle to count.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 pm

Clerks 1 and 2 are both pretty stupid. The only reason I watched them were for Jay and Silent Bob, I love those 2, they kill me LMAO

I don't think you can count the King of the Hill reference. But I can't remember that, so, maybe :shrug:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 4:28 pm

SoulRat wrote:

I don't think you can count the King of the Hill reference. But I can't remember that, so, maybe :shrug:
Didn't think so. It was at the gun club and Dale said he worked for the FBI. He hired some flower guys to deliver flowers so they showed up in a flower truck carrying boxes (of flowers). The people assumed they were guns.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 am

The 21st best movie quote of all-time according to the American Film Institute:

Quote :
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 1:03 am

I really liked this movie and was so happy when I saw the wax figure of him in Hollywood I would give this movie a 85.

I wonder if the crazy guy in Canada that stabbed/beheaded and ate that kid on the greyhound watched this movie too many times. I wouldn't recommend this movie to the insane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 1:22 am

kharmon wrote:
I wouldn't recommend this movie to the insane.

But then what are they supposed to watch :shrug:
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 1:55 am

catbox_9 wrote:
kharmon wrote:

The Shining Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:13 am

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
kharmon wrote:

The Shining Nod

high 5

Hey, I'm going to download The Exorcist....good choice?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:16 am

omg The Exocist, I seen that was I was very young at my aunts house on Halloween and it scared the Censored out of me and I refuse to watch it since. I even had a hard time with the book LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:20 am

SoulRat wrote:
omg The Exocist, I seen that was I was very young at my aunts house on Halloween and it scared the Censored out of me and I refuse to watch it since. I even had a hard time with the book LMAO

You wimp! I'll watch it soon and let you know. I'll watch it at night with the lights out just to play it safe.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 am

I downloaded it once, and I didn't even burn it, I deleted it :haha: ashamed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:31 am

SoulRat wrote:
I downloaded it once, and I didn't even burn it, I deleted it :haha: ashamed

Geez, and you think I'm a wimp. I wouldn't ever do that.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 2:33 am

I thought I could do it... but I was like "OMG WHY did I download THIS nasty film?!" And then deleted it, cause I'm a wussy ashamed
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 am

I've seen that movie, scared the living daylights out of me too. I'm too scared to watch scary movies by myself which sucks because they are my favorites and everyone is usually asleep when I want to watch movies. You guys should watch the Invasion with Nicole Kidman. That was a good movie and not so scary. I didn't jump but maybe one time.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 am

kharmon wrote:
I've seen that movie, scared the living daylights out of me too. I'm too scared to watch scary movies by myself which sucks because they are my favorites and everyone is usually asleep when I want to watch movies. You guys should watch the Invasion with Nicole Kidman. That was a good movie and not so scary. I didn't jump but maybe one time.

Oh Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one :haha: Seriously, that movie scared the hell out of me... granted I was only like, 10, but still, I have never seen it since and I have no plans for it No

I am writing down that Nicole Kidman one, I don't think I've seen it and I like her Nod

Another movie that scared the piss out of me was the original The Hills Have Eyes. I seen it in full daylight as an adult and omg... LMAO ashamed
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 4:38 am

I had to watch that that one during the day too. I started it when my husband was at work at night, but turned it off and waited for him to come home. Then went to my mom's and watched it over there with a houseful of people. The worst movies for me are the ones that could actually happen. Not the ghost scary movies, but the ones with people who just completely flip out. Texas chain saw, the hills have eyes, Anything that is based on a true story. And the Halloween movies, I still have nightmares of Micheal Myers.
Back to top Go down
detroitwings82
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
detroitwings82

Male
Number of posts : 903
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd jones
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_minipostedTue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 am

This movies is awesoem 10/10..jodie foster is a really good actor int his movie! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhitebro
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)   The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: