DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker

Go down 
+10
gdennis59
TG
Pudgerocks
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
SoulRat
bobrob2004
iluvpudge7
tigersaint
prod
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Could. Might mean double luck!
I honestly have to say I have never seen him gun so much since the WBC. Strange how that happens when you might be unemployed sooner than you'd planned!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 pm

The pros don't like big numbers, they are normally worn by the Minor League Players.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Didn't Carlton Fisk wear 72 when he played with the White Sox?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 25, 2009 7:56 pm

That may have been his MiL number and he kept it n the majors.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 pm

gs78 wrote:

Quote :
Carlton Fisk's number 72 was retired by the Chicago White Sox in 1997

Quote :
Fisk was signed by the White Sox as a free agent on March 18, 1981. At
that time, his old number 27 was held on the White Sox by pitcher Ken Kravec. Fisk flip-flopped his old number and thus wore the unusual baseball number of 72 on his jersey.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Quote :

Quote :
that time, his old number 27 was held on the White Sox by pitcher Ken Kravec. Fisk flip-flopped his old number and thus wore the unusual baseball number of 72 on his jersey.

I would wear 78 as number
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Pudge is 1-8 with 5 K as an Astro so far...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 pm

gs78 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

I would wear 78 as number

Zito is 75 so numbers like that aren't too rare.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm

I like high numbers
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Pudge gives Astros nudge in win
Catcher's base hit pushes Pence across plate in wild one

HOUSTON -- It's not often that a pitcher throws wildly while intentionally walking a hitter, and it's even less often that a play like that would decide a game. In that respect, the Astros got lucky Wednesday night.

Sure, they came through with timely hits and several gutsy performances from the bullpen, but they also benefitted from Ronald Belisario's momentary lapse of control while intentionally walking Geoff Blum, and as a result, the Astros prevailed over the Dodgers, 6-5.

The eighth inning began with a solo homer from Lance Berkman that knotted the game, 5-5. With two outs, Hunter Pence knocked a ground-rule double to the corner in right, and as Blum approached the plate to pinch-hit for Chris Sampson, Belisario received the intentional walk signal from manager Joe Torre.

On the third "pitch," Belisario threw wide of Russell Martin's outstreched glove, allowing Pence to sprint to third. Ivan Rodriguez knocked the first pitch he saw up the middle for a base hit, bringing home the go-ahead run.

"[Belisario] has kind of one of those unique arms where it's tougher for some of those guys to not throw as hard as they can," Pence said. "I was kind of anticipating and fortunately, it happened, and I was ready for it."

Had Pence been on second, he might have scored anyway. However, Rodriguez's ball -- a bouncer that moved quickly through the infield -- didn't go deep enough to center to definitively say Pence would have beaten a throw to the plate.

"Who knows?" Pence said. "I didn't have to, luckily."

Rodriguez surmised his speedy teammate would have scored regardless of where he started.

"I think in that situation, with Hunter's speed, he could have scored anyway," Rodriguez said. "He'd be going on contact with two outs. The third base coach is gong to send him home. But it's a little closer from third base."

The game was a back-and-forth affair between a strong Dodgers offense and a Houston lineup that received high marks before the season started, but had yet to consistently deliver.

Timely hits -- especially late in the game -- had, for the most part, eluded the Astros in the first two weeks of the season. That all changed in this game, beginning with Jason Michaels' two-run double off former Astro Randy Wolf that tied the game at 4 in the sixth. Berkman then knocked a solo homer in the eighth, moving him ahead of Craig Biggio and into second place on the club's all-time home run list.

"It's a team game, and that's what we talked about at the beginning of the year," manager Cecil Cooper said. "It wasn't going to be one guy, it was going to be everybody. We all have to chip in and help carry the load and that's what you're seeing. Everybody does their part. Tonight was a perfect example of that."

The Astros had a slim 2-0 lead after five, but Roy Oswalt yielded three home runs in the sixth -- solo homers for Manny Ramirez and Andre Ethier, and a two-run shot for Casey Blake that put the Dodgers ahead, 4-2.

Ramirez's home run traveled over the Crawford Boxes in left field and left the ballpark completely.

"Manny's pitch was a little bit up," Oswalt said. "I thought it was a good pitch to Ethier -- he flipped one in the Crawford seats. It was a bad decision on my part, pitching to the eighth-place hitter [Blake] instead of pitching to the pitcher with a guy on.

"The team battled and we won, so it doesn't matter what I do. I could care less about my stats, as long as the team wins."

The Astros were without the services of closer Jose Valverde, who was unavailable due to a bruised ankle and a strained calf muscle he suffered on Tuesday. Cooper said before this game he wasn't sure who his closer would be, but with his team ahead by a run in the ninth, Cooper called on setup man LaTroy Hawkins.

Hawkins coaxed a pop fly from Juan Pierre and grounder from Rafael Furcal. Aware that Ramirez was standing on the on-deck circle, Hawkins struck out Orlando Hudson to end the game.

"You've got a guy down, you just try to pull your weight," Hawkins said. "[Valverde] pulled his weight last night. He could have easily come out of the game. We were short and we gutted it out. You're just doing your job. Sometimes, you're called upon to do a little bit more."

This time, Hawkins wasn't the only one who delivered.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedSun May 17, 2009 10:18 am

The New Astro: Ivan Rodriguez
Can Pudge again inspire and lead Houston to a Central title?

By Rene Cardenas / Special to MLB.com

05/07/09 6:47 PM ET

I recently met the Astros' newly acquired catcher, Ivan Rodriguez, just outside the batting cage at Minute Maid Park before the first game of the 2009 season. I asked him if we could do an interview the following day and he gladly accepted the offer with a smile that was almost imperceptible.

Before I met him, I extensively researched his background. I read pages and pages about his life as a big leaguer, which made for some fascinating reading. His achievements and accumulated awards from his almost 20 years of playing with the brightest stars in baseball are incredible.

To capture the essence of what this Puerto Rican means to the Astros and to give this article a more personal touch, I decided to contact three people as well. The first was the former sports editor of La Prensa de Nicaragua, my old editor (and former Dodgers announcer), and Tito Rondon from Miami, so he could talk to me about Ivan and give the people of Houston some important facts from his interesting career.

"It must be an overwhelming responsibility, but Ivan Rodriguez has performed nearly perfectly," Tito said to start. "He was signed in Miami to be a key piece for the Marlins in 2003, and Pudge not only did his part with the bat and handled the pitchers well, especially the young guys like Dontrelle Willis and Josh Beckett, but he also became a source of inspiration and became a leader of the surprising world champions."

Players usually don't know where they are going during free agency and Rodriguez, after winning a World Series ring, fell into the hands of an American League team that was hardly on the map.

"That same year the Tigers lost 119 games and none of the star players wanted to sign with them," Rondon said. "But there was one that dared to: Ivan Rodriguez. And after him, Magglio Ordonez [and] Kenny Rogers, to only mention a couple, followed him and the Tigers got to the Fall Classic."

I-Rod back then (and now) with the Astros showed integrity and character and unmatched talent as a catcher. On top of that, he had a strong bat that struck terror into opposing pitchers of the Junior Circuit.

Could Ivan again be a source of inspiration to help the Astros reach the top of the National League's Central Division? That is the question that millions of fans who come to Minute Maid Park every year have.

I also presented the topic to Puerto Rican announcer Tony Menendez.

"Ivan Rodriguez can do a lot with the Astros, on an individual level and for the team," Menendez expressed. "I remember that he said he wanted to be the key player on the team that he signed with. I recall what manager Jack McKeon said: 'Pudge was one of the key guys in the World Series championship for the Marlins.'"

Surely, some fans will remember that Rodriguez was the MVP of the NLCS against Chicago.

Those who have a propensity toward music, poetry, and the sciences show their talent at an early age, and such is the case with baseball players. Under the guidance of his father, Ivan began playing little league in his hometown, Vega Baja, Puerto Rico, at age 6, and now, as he approaches 38, he plays with the same joy.

"I experienced my funniest moments of my career when I was coming up in the Minor Leagues," he said with a slight smile.

Radio, TV, and print media are vehicles that take the message of baseball to the entire world. Rodriguez became a fan of the Cincinnati Reds and the Detroit Tigers and listened to their broadcasts.

"Back then, those were the teams we could see," he said.

Despite all of that, Ivan chose Roberto Clemente as his favorite player, even though he never saw him play. Of all the players that played his position, Johnny Bench, who was the catcher for the Red Machine, was his favorite.

Many catchers hang up their catcher's mitt or change positions after six or seven years of their knees taking a beating of squatting hour after hour every night, but Rodriguez has been doing it his whole life without any negative physical effects.

"Physically I feel very good," Ivan said. "I prepare myself well because I follow a strict workout program every day to stay in shape. Thankfully, up to this point, I haven't had any physical problems."

I-Rod, as he's also called, is happy to have returned to the National League, especially because the only World Series he's ever been to was in the Senior Circuit, when he was with the Marlins in 2003. As is known, the majority of his career has taken place in the American League with the Texas Rangers (1991-2002), the Detroit Tigers (2004-08), and the New York Yankees (2008).

"I'm happy to be with the Astros because it's a good team," Pudge emphasized. "All of these guys are good guys and the league is great."

Rodriguez thinks that the two leagues are difficult to hit in because, in the big leagues, everyone is good and you can't take advantage of anyone. All of the players work hard to survive, and the competition is limitless.

Houston fans hope that when Rodriguez gets comfortable hitting in Minute Maid, he'll hit line drives all over the park, even though his favorite stadium to hit in is Camden Yards, the home of the Baltimore Orioles.

"I feel good when I bat in Baltimore's stadium," Rodriguez said. "But of course, all of these stadiums have their peculiarities, and for me it's a privilege to play in Major League parks."

Minute Maid Park has many peculiarities, but the one that might be most attractive is the 315-foot distance between home plate and the 19-foot wall in left field.

Throughout my many years in the Majors, many great hitters have told me who they thought was the most difficult pitcher to hit. Out of respect, Ivan told me something different.

"Every single pitcher has been difficult for me and I respect them all," he said. "I characterize myself as a defensive player and I made myself into a good hitter because I worked hard to learn to hit. They try to get me out at the plate and I try to get on base. I concentrate and try to do my job."

The left-field distance in Minute Maid Park is short and inviting which, by the way, could become attractive for the right-handed Rodriguez.

"This park is very interesting," Ivan said. "Of course I need time to get acclimated to it. It's a different site, it's closed and it's absolutely beautiful; it's my house and I'll enjoy it a lot."

Rodriguez helped the Marlins win the World Series and the Detroit Tigers rise from anonymity.

"I have the same plans for the Astros," the catcher stressed. "I'm a player that likes to play the game of baseball very tough in order to win every single day, and I'm also going to bring the very best of myself to this team."

According to Rondon, the Yankees missed an opportunity with Rodriguez. To be more specific, they didn't make the most of his talent while he was with them.

"I leave that to those who know about baseball," said I-Rod, washing his hands of the issue. "I try not to talk about those kinds of things. What happened with the Yankees was a little sad, I was always ready to play every day, and that's why I joined the team. It wasn't like that, but things happen for a reason. I'm a player who has a lot left in the tank. I've already turned that page of my life with the Yankees. I know it's a good organization, but right now I'm with another team that's also good and has a similar prestige. A lot of great players have passed through here that have gone on to the Hall of Fame. I ask God to keep me here to play as many years as I want to."

The entire country doesn't produce enough good catchers for 30 Major League teams and, for that matter, neither does Puerto Rico. It's very possible that Rodriguez's aggressiveness, talent, and hunger to succeed have brought the position of catcher to new heights and have also served as inspiration to those who emulate him and take on the difficult task.

"I think that I am only part of the inspiration," explained Rodriguez with hesitation. "I think that before me, there were other Puerto Rican catchers in the Majors who were the pride of Puerto Rico. They were the ones who opened the doors to get into the Major Leagues. Hopefully, I can help those who are coming up now so that they can maintain the same caliber of baseball. In the Minors, there are an infinite number of good prospects from Puerto Rico that will soon make the jump to the Majors. The important thing is that we all keep the name of Puerto Rico high in the game of baseball."

"How tough do you think it will be for the Astros to win the Central Division?" I asked Rodriguez. "We're pretty solid," he said. "The pitching is good. The key is that we stay healthy. If we can stay away from injuries, we'll have a shot. In the few weeks I've been with the team, everything I've seen has been positive, because the club plays hard, has good pitching and a strong group of relievers. The defense is airtight, and we hit well, too. We have a little of everything; staying healthy is the key."

There is a lot of work for a new catcher because he has to connect with a dozen pitchers he doesn't know.

"For the moment we're communicating well," Rodriguez clarified. "Already in these few weeks of playing together, we've passed that first stage, and obviously we still need a little more work to get to the level we want."

"Ivan has to play really well for the Astros this year," said ex-Major League catcher and current Astros radio analyst Alex Trevino. "A ballplayer that, in 18 full seasons, has all the awards, All-Star appearances, experience, and a fielding percentage of .991, is a very important pillar for this organization. He's going to be the quarterback for this team."

I believe that Pudge wants to finish his career as the best catcher in the history of the Major Leagues. Bench and Carlton Fisk (considered the greatest) have said publicly on various occasions that the title, without doubt, belongs to Rodriguez. This is, then, the golden road the Puerto Rican will take with him to the Hall of Fame.

I'm also of the impression that Ivan would like to emulate his idol, Clemente, with the feat of 3,000 hits. For the moment, he has 2,627; including 22 with the Astros at the time this article was written.

Ivan has participated in 14 All-Star Games with the American League, won seven Silver Slugger Awards and 13 Gold Gloves. He's the only ballplayer in history to have at least 13 Gold Gloves and a career batting average of .300 or better. The Astros signed him to a contract for one year with incentives.

René Cárdenas covers the Astros for La Prensa of Nicaragua. He writes for Crónicas de los Astros, astrosdehouston.com and Astros Magazine. He is the editor of his own baseball website www.laestufacaliente.com. In 2008, he was one of the Spanish TV broadcasters for the Astros. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Monday, May 18, 2009
Roundup
Ex-Tiger Pudge Rodriguez hits 300th career homer
Detroit News wire services

Chicago -- The tradition of throwing back an opposing hitter's home run ball at Wrigley Field worked out well for Pudge Rodriguez.

Rodriguez hit his 300th home run, Lance Berkman had two hits and an RBI and the Astros snapped the Cubs' five-game winning streak with a 6-5 victory Sunday.

"I was telling my father last night I would love to hit it here because I know the fans are going to throw it," said Rodriguez, who got his wish when a fan tossed his keepsake back into the field.

Houston starter Brian Moehler (1-0) pitched five innings to get his first victory since Sept. 10, 2008, against Pittsburgh.

Moehler was backed by a strong performance from the Houston bullpen. Tim Byrdak, like Rodriguez and Moehler a former Tiger, pitched a perfect sixth, and Alberto Arias pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings.

Chris Sampson pitched 1 2-3 innings for his first career save despite giving up a solo shot to Alfonso Soriano and an RBI single to Milton Bradley. He ended the game by getting Geovany Soto to line out to third with runners on first and second.

"We seem to make most ninth innings exciting, but a win's a win," Astros manager Cecil Cooper said.

Derrek Lee was 4-for-5 with a home run for the Cubs who had their season-high winning streak snapped. The Cubs finished the homestand with a 4-1 record.

"It was a great homestand. I think we were getting a little greedy when we wanted the one today," Lee said.

After not allowing a hit for the first three innings and holding a 2-0 lead, Cubs starter Rich Harden gave up a leadoff double to Berkman. One out later, Miguel Tejada hit an RBI double and scored on Geoff Blum's single.

Then on a 1-2 pitch, Rodriguez launched a two-run homer into the center-field basket to put the Astros ahead 4-2. It was his 293rd homer as a catcher, good for seventh all-time.

"Three hundred home runs on the major league level is an accomplishment, especially for a catcher," Rodriguez said. "For a guy like me, I'm not too tall at 5-10, and to be able to hit 300 home runs on the major league level. But it's good. It's just hard work. I'm a very hard worker every day. Things like this pay off."
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 6:56 pm

I think 5'10" is stretching it a bit lol Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I thought Pudge was 5-9

Did he grow an inch
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 8:42 pm

nooooo
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 8:44 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
nooooo

Oh!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 9:08 pm

he be pretty short or he wouldn't need the nickname Pudge! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Go Pudge
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 am

Pudge ties Fisk for most games caught
In 2,226th contest behind plate, Astros catcher hits home run

By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com

06/16/09 9:49 PM ET

ARLINGTON -- For at least one day, two guys nicknamed "Pudge" share the distinction of having caught more games than anyone else.

Astros catcher Ivan Rodriguez donned a catcher's mask for the 2,226th time in his career Tuesday night against the Texas Rangers, tying Hall of Famer Carlton Fisk for having appeared in the most games in Major League history at catcher.

When Tuesday's game became official after five innings, Rodriguez surpassed Bob Boone and equaled Fisk, whose 2,226th game at catcher on June 22, 1993, came against the Rangers in a game Rodriguez was making his 263rd career appearance behind the plate.

And Rodriguez did it in style, hitting a home run to lead off the fifth inning -- his 108th in Rangers Ballpark in Arlington to earn a standing ovation from the crowd. Rodriguez is expected to start Wednesday and break the record in the place where he had the best years of his career while with Texas.

"To have played here for 11 years was nice, and it's a great place, a great organization and a great building and great fans," Rodriguez said. "There are good memories that I got here for spending so many years. To be able to start my career here and to be able to break Carlton Fisk's record here in Arlington is an honor."

Rodriguez, who made his Major League debut at 18 years old in 1991, played the first 12 of his 19 seasons in Arlington. Pudge made the All-Star team 10 times and won 10 Gold Gloves with the Rangers, with whom he appeared in 1,426 games at catcher.

"All the memories are nice," Rodriguez said. "The first day they called me up back in '91, [Rangers manager] Bobby Valentine gave me a chance to play in the big leagues, and that's one of the things I'll never forget.

"He was the first manager to call me up, and today I'm still in the big leagues. That was a big moment. Every time I put on a Major League uniform is big for me. I've been in baseball a lot of years, and it's always an honor."

Tools of endurance

Below is a list of the players who have caught the most games in Major League history.
Rank
Games
Player
12,226Carlton Fisk
12,226Ivan Rodriguez
32,225Bob Boone
42,056Gary Carter
51,950Tony Pena
61,927Jim Sundberg
71,918Al Lopez
81,917Benito Santiago
91,898Brad Ausmus
101,829Jason Kendall
Credit: Elias Sports Bureau

Rodriguez entered Tuesday ranked first all-time among catchers in hits, doubles, putouts and Gold Glove Awards.

Brian McTaggart is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedThu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm

GO PUDGE!
Back to top Go down
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female
Number of posts : 392
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Still not over Ivan but am going to have to defect to Carlos!
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 04, 2009 1:28 pm

tigersaint wrote:
Why do we have TWO Pudge threads here??

You know, Saint was right-two just isn't enough! There should be many more!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://klbennett426@yahoo.com
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Still not over Ivan but am going to have to defect to Carlos!

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Below is a list of the players who have caught the most games in Major League history.
Rank
Games
Player

1 2,226 Carlton Fisk
1 2,226 Ivan Rodriguez
3 2,225 Bob Boone
4 2,056 Gary Carter
5 1,950 Tony Pena
6 1,927 Jim Sundberg
7 1,918 Al Lopez
8 1,917 Benito Santiago
9 1,898 Brad Ausmus
10 1,829 Jason Kendall

MOVE ASIDE MR. FISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe someone else is now in the first place slot!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 pm

Rangers reacquire Pudge
Rodriguez, 14-time All-Star, will be Texas' backup catcher

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

08/18/09 5:47 PM ET

ARLINGTON -- Ivan Rodriguez is returning to the Rangers to be a backup catcher.

The Rangers completed a trade with the Houston Astros on Tuesday to reacquire the 14-time All-Star catcher for two players. The Astros will receive Class A pitcher Matt Nevarez and two players to be named, one of whom is reportedly Double-A infielder Jose Vallejo.

Rodriguez, 37, a 13-time Gold Glove winner, has been told that Taylor Teagarden will remain the Rangers' No. 1 catcher. The Rangers had been looking for a catcher after Jarrod Saltalamacchia went on the disabled list with a sore right arm. Saltalamacchia could be out for the remainder of the season.

"I'm feeling great, feeling good. It's nice to be back to the place that I started," said Rodriguez, who waived his no-trade clause. "It's nice to be back there. It's also sad. I think Houston is a great team and a good group of guys. The fans are great, but business is business. You've got to prepare for anything. Especially being a veteran player, those things can happen.

"I'm going to move forward. It's a good trade. It will be nice to go there. ... I'm looking forward to going there and to do my best to try to help them win."

Rodriguez, 37, is hitting .251 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 93 games and 344 plate appearances for the Astros.

He is expected to join the Rangers on Tuesday night but probably won't be activated until Wednesday.

"We're excited to have Pudge," club president Nolan Ryan said. "We're looking forward to having him, and he's excited about coming back. He brings experience, he's a veteran player and he's been in the postseason. He brings a lot."

Rodriguez originally signed with the Rangers and played for them from 1991 to 2002 before leaving as a free agent. He was a 10-time All-Star and Gold Glove winner for the Rangers, their starting catcher on three division championship teams and the 1999 American League Most Valuable Player.

He was the starting catcher for the Florida Marlins in 2003 when they won the World Series and for the Detroit Tigers when they won the American League pennant in 2006. He remains among the Rangers' all-time top 10 in just about every offensive category and is their all-time leader in hits and doubles.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 pm

wow!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I think it might be more of a mentor purpose, with Saltalamacchia on the DL.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm seeing Griffey in Seattle and now Pudge is in Texas. What is this, 1999?
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm

wish it was, kinda....
Back to top Go down
jmccurry08
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 187
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : dontrelle willis
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedTue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Yeah, wish it was 1999 too. I was 7 years old and school was so easy.

And baseball was exciting to watch
Back to top Go down
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedWed Aug 19, 2009 11:35 pm

CRAP-didn't we just play the Rangers? I am always looking for a fix!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_minipostedFri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 pm

jmccurry08 wrote:
Yeah, wish it was 1999 too. I was 7 years old and school was so easy.

And baseball was exciting to watch

I wish it were 1999; or even 1989 for that matter

2009 has been a horrible, rotten year for me; Hopefully, 2010 and beyond will be better Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker   Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker - Page 5 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez Career Tracker
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Washington Nationals-
Jump to: