DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Empty
PostSubject: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 10:09 am

Braves eager to see Hampton can do
Atlanta (49-53) at Philadelphia (54-49), Saturday, 3:55 p.m. ET
By Ryan Lavner / MLB.com

After being tempted then tormented for nearly three years, the Braves have learned to temper their expectations when it comes to lefty Mike Hampton, who is scheduled to pitch in a Major League game Saturday for the first time in 35 months.

Their skepticism shouldn't come as a surprise. Hampton, a two-time All-Star, figured to be an integral component of the Braves' rotation -- one that compared favorably with the best in the Majors -- when injuries again derailed his comeback.

Hampton hasn't started for Atlanta since Aug. 19, 2005, when his streak of infuriating -- and sometimes bizarre -- injuries began. But barring an unforeseen setback, that streak will come to an end on Saturday afternoon.

"My arm feels great," said Hampton, who is scheduled to face Phillies ace Cole Hamels. "It hasn't been a problem at all. I'm just going to go out there and do whatever I can to help the team win."

After claiming an 8-2 series-opening win on Friday night, and with the July 31 Trade Deadline looming, the Braves could surely use a solid performance from Hampton. And although he has provided every indication that his left arm is healthy, Atlanta is cautiously optimistic with him.

Hampton, in the final year of his eight-year, $121 million contract, strained his left pectoral muscle while warming up for his season debut on April 3, and then re-injured it during what was supposed to be his final Minor League rehab start on April 30.

Then on July 16, when he was one rehab start away from rejoining the Braves, Hampton tweaked his left groin and was set back another week and a half.

Meanwhile, the Braves' starters have kept the team in the division race, albeit 6 1/2 games out of first place. The starters' 4.05 ERA, although slightly higher than it has been in recent weeks, is still fourth best in the National League, and that's without projected starters John Smoltz, Tom Glavine and Hampton, who have combined to make just 17 starts this season.

So, Hampton's reemergence is an intriguing scenario for the Braves. But just how much does the 35-year-old veteran think he can help them during the final two months of the season?

"I'm going to go out and give it everything that I've got," said Hampton, who in eight rehab starts allowed seven earned runs in 27 innings. "Everything that I do, I am just taking it day by day."

If Hampton is healthy after Saturday's start, the Braves could send right-hander Charlie Morton to Triple-A Richmond, where he began the season. Lefty Jo-Jo Reyes, who has lost five consecutive starts, was scheduled to start Saturday, but he will instead pitch Monday's series opener against the Cardinals.

"Everybody will be pulling for him to do well," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "He's been through a lot and he's worked hard to get back."

"I'm excited to see him out there," right fielder Jeff Francoeur said. "I don't think there's any doubt that we'll be playing with some more excitement and emotion. I can't wait to be a part of him being back out there."

Pitching matchup
ATL: LHP Mike Hampton (5-3, 3.50 ERA in 2005)
Hampton is slated to make his first Major League start in 35 months Saturday when he pitches the second game of a critical three-game set against the Phillies. The 35-year-old left-hander has strained his left pectoral muscle twice this season and had his recent rehab assignment derailed by a strained left groin. But after tossing an incident-free bullpen session on Tuesday, Cox said Hampton would get the start. Hampton is 32-20 in three injury-shortened seasons with Atlanta. He hasn't pitched in a Major League game since Aug. 19, 2005. He missed the entire 2006 and '07 seasons after having separate surgeries on his left elbow.

PHI: LHP Cole Hamels (9-6, 3.11 ERA)
Hamels had only two blemishes in his last start, against the Marlins on Sunday. But those two mistakes, solo home runs to Cody Ross and Jeremy Hermida, were enough to hand the lefty a no-decision. Other than that, the 24-year-old was in fine form, giving up four hits while striking out seven through eight innings before leaving with 96 pitches under his belt. Hamels held Florida hitless through three innings and retired nine straight batters at one point. His velocity, however, was down slightly after the layoff with the All-Star break.

Tidbits
The Braves activated right-hander Anthony Lerew from the 60-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Richmond. He has been with Richmond all season while recovering from Tommy John elbow ligament transplant surgery. ... The Braves completed the sale of right-hander Chris Resop to the Hanshin Tigers of the Japanese League. ... Rehabbing right-hander Jeff Bennett, on the DL since July 6 with a partially dislocated pitching shoulder, struck out two in a scoreless inning for Class A Advanced Myrtle Beach on Friday. ... The Braves improved to 4-9 without third baseman Chipper Jones in the lineup. ... Brian McCann hit two homers Friday, his 61st and 62nd since the start of the '06 season. That leads all Major League catchers, with the Mets' Jorge Posada and the Giants' Bengie Molina ranking second with 46 homers apiece.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 10:11 am

Oh my goodness.

I'm scared, but hopefully he can pitch well enough.

I was kind of worried that his first start would be against Hamels, what a *lucky* guy.

It's the battle of the Hams in Philly!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 10:37 am

cdurbfan22 wrote:

LMAO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 11:31 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
cdurbfan22 wrote:

LMAO

Thanks?!

I'm not really happy right now, but you "laughed" at me, so that made me smile.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 1:36 pm

"with the Mets' Jorge Posada"

Uhhh, that doesnt sound right...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

:haha: I didn't read that part until now. Someone's job is in jeopardy whistle
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedSat Jul 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Guessing so...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedMon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 am

He did not so well.
BOOO.

The Braves are in terrible shape.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_minipostedMon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 pm

gdennis59 wrote:

There was a time when both that reporter and editor would have been fired for such a pathetic error but now nobody will even care. If it was my newspaper or whatever the hell he's writing for he'd have been fired the second I read that. How can you write about baseball if you don't know what team Jorge Posada plays for? I could see getting someone else wrong, but someone like that? There's no excuse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years   Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Hampton to make 1st start in nearly 3 years
Page 1 of 1