DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Unforgiven (1992)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 am

Since I started reviewing movies on March 16 with Citizen Kane I've only seen one movie newer than this - Schindler's List on March 28 and that's only a year newer.

As for this one, it's a western directed and produced by Clint Eastwood who is also the star. The only other western I've seen, A Fistful of Dollars also stars Eastwood and was directed by the legendary western director Sergio Leone. This movie tells the story of a prostitute who is assaulted by two men and she and her fellow prostitutes hire some assassins (Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Jaimz Woolvett) to kill the two men. The plot isn't all that complex but it's still pretty good once it gets going. There were a couple points that I didn't like early on namely Eastwood leaving his 2 kids at home by themselves who couldn't have been more than about 12 and 8 and the fact that Eastwood decided to go to begin with after having reformed himself and not killed anyone in 11 years. The first half drags at times, but the latter half is pretty dramatic and exciting.

In addition to the aforementioned actors, the film has Gene Hackman in a supporting role. He won best supporting actor and when he was on screen I guess he was good. The other actors aren't bad either although this film, like most westerns, isn't really dialogue-oriented and instead has a lot of action sequences and little profound dialogue so it's kind of hard to say much about the acting.

On a more significant level, the film deals with morality and the ugly aspects of the Old West. While it does glamorize killing people two an extent, some of the characters (I won't say whom) realize that killing people isn't as glorious as they once thought it was which leads to some interesting events. The film is also a eulogy in a sense to the western genre as there have been very few well-received westerns made since this film was released. While westerns were once perhaps the most popular genre of both film and television, that is no longer even close to being true.

While this wasn't great, it was rather enjoyable and serves as a fitting end to westerns. This won best picture although I didn't really get the sense that this was a best picture type of film but that's probably because I don't associate westerns with winning that particular award. The only other western I'm aware of that won best picture is Cimarron in 1931 and possibly Dances With Wolves if it counts as a western. This is worth seeing for fans of western films although I would venture that the earlier western films are better than this.

77/100
C+

UP NEXT: Enough with the new movies, time for a Gloria Swanson silent film, Sadie Thompson.
Back to top Go down

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 pm

That's NOT a new movie.

It's like 16 years old...
Almost as old, if not OLDER than me.

Smile
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Am I the only person alive who can't stand Clint Eastwood? scratch :shrug:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:03 pm

:shrug:

I give it a 67 myself
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 pm

SoulRat wrote:

My aunt can't stand him...or at least him+westerns (which is pretty much all he did) so I'd say no.

Did you see The Bridges of Madison County? (I sure as hell didn't!). I think he was in that.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Eastwood did a series of Dirty Harry Films
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:40 pm

gs78 wrote:

Oh yeah, those aren't westerns although they're the same idea in a non-western setting. If you don't like westerns you won't like Eastwood. I've only seen two westerns so far in my whole life (both with Eastwood) and liked them both at least somewhat so I think I do like westerns.

He also did Million Dollar Baby which has nothing to do with killing people (I don't think) but I've never had any desire to see that.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:40 pm

gs78 wrote:
:shrug:

I give it a 67 myself

That's added and this now has a 72.0 in the database.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Cool
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

My aunt can't stand him...or at least him+westerns (which is pretty much all he did) so I'd say no.

Did you see The Bridges of Madison County? (I sure as hell didn't!). I think he was in that.

No I didn't. I pretty much avoid anything with him in it. I can't stand him for some reason and I don't really know why. :shrug:
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

gs78 wrote:

I avoid those especially.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 pm

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

No I didn't. I pretty much avoid anything with him in it. I can't stand him for some reason and I don't really know why. :shrug:

:haha:

Have you seen him in anything?

Also crazy is my mother who was (is?) in love with him especially in his younger days. The crazy part is she hates westerns and hates Dirty Harry so she didn't see any of those but still said (says?) Eastwood was (is?) her favorite actor. How's that work?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

:haha:

Have you seen him in anything?

Also crazy is my mother who was (is?) in love with him especially in his younger days. The crazy part is she hates westerns and hates Dirty Harry so she didn't see any of those but still said (says?) Eastwood was (is?) her favorite actor. How's that work?

LMAO I dunno but yes, I've seen most of the Dirty Harry movies, my mother Heart ed them Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm

I also seen Million Dollar Baby and enjoyed that but mostly because Hilary Swank was so good in it Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 8:05 pm

SoulRat wrote:

LMAO I dunno but yes, I've seen most of the Dirty Harry movies, my mother Heart ed them Rolling Eyes

Those have bad reviews so maybe that's why? Try The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I haven't seen it yet but it's supposed to be great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unforgiven (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unforgiven (1992)   Unforgiven (1992) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Unforgiven (1992)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: