DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Touch of Evil (1958)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Touch of Evil (1958) Empty
PostSubject: Touch of Evil (1958)   Touch of Evil (1958) Icon_minipostedSun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 am

This film, written and directed by Orson Welles, is one of the last example of film noir from the classic period. It tells the story about a car that travels from Mexico to the United States and blows up due to a bomb in the process. Authorities from both countries investigate. There's way more too it than that, but revealing much more might ruin the plot. I had very high expectations for this film and while the plot was good, it was far less interesting than film noirs such as The Maltese Falcon and Sunset Boulevard.

In addition to writing and directing the film, Orson Welles also acts in it. He's more of a supporting character, but still plays a fairly significant role. Although Welles is generally regarded as one of the greatest directors ever, his acting actually isn't all that bad and it wasn't here either. The film stars Charlton Heston who plays a Mexican. Heston is not Mexican and only comes off as somewhat believable as a Mexican. He wears a mustache but that doesn't really help. He does a good job acting, but he looks more like Clark Gable than he does Mexican. The film also stars Janet Leigh who plays Heston's wife. She didn't really do all that much, but she did it well enough. She was more interesting in her role in Psycho, but she had a lot more important role in that film. Marlene Dietrich has a small part in this film, but it's not significant enough to comment on.

This wasn't bad, but didn't come of as overly-great either. Perhaps my expectations were too high or perhaps I've seen to many film noirs that I liked better than this one. Modern-day critics say it's great so maybe I'm missing something.

73.5/100
C

UP NEXT: A film I've been waiting almost three months to see - 12 Angry Men.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Touch of Evil (1958)   Touch of Evil (1958) Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 am

I just saw this...

There's actually 3 different versions of this movie, the 1958 original, a 1976 longer version and a 1998 re-edited version that is suppose to follow a 1958, 58-page memo by Welles of how he wanted the movie to be shot. I saw the 1998 version.

The beginning shot is widely considered to be one of the greatest long shots in movie history. As per the memo, the credits were removed so the audience was able to see the everything. The credits were then added back at the end of the movie.

Unlike catbox, I thought this was great movie. I thought the acting was great and the plot was excellent. I was a little disappointed that the crazy guy didn't play a bigger part, but that's completely besides the point. And the ending was a little unexpected.

89/100
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Touch of Evil (1958)   Touch of Evil (1958) Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 1:41 am

I knew it was better than my first impressions said it was. I'll have to rewatch it Nod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Touch of Evil (1958)   Touch of Evil (1958) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Touch of Evil (1958)
Page 1 of 1