DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tiger Stadium News

Go down 
+3
TG
gdennis59
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Jun 09, 2009 8:59 pm

And the City of Detroit politicians and the Judge that Okayed the demolition can die and rot in hell for all I care
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Tiger Stadium deserved a better fate

Halloween RIP
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 10, 2009 4:06 pm

They outta just implode what is left

Better than picking at the old stadium with a wrecking ball the next 30 days

And why aren't they removing the rest of the seats before the stadium is torn down?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 pm

So much of Tiger Stadium was wasted!

The scoreboard, Tiger Plaza and Tiger Stadium Signage, foul poles, seats, outfield fence, flag pole, etc

Would have been nice if some of that stuff could have been made its way to Comerica

But Ilitch would have none of that

Had to build a ballpark as opposite as possible as Tiger Stadium
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Might be all gone by the time the next homestand is over
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Jun 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I hope that Judge, The Detroit Economic Authority, City Council and Mike Ilitch are so happy

Fuck Them All

They are scum; I hope they all fucking die

I hope after the Red Wings win tonight; Ilitch has a massive heart attack and dies!

I will go out dancing in the street naked if that happens
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Jun 12, 2009 3:45 pm

I am so pissed off about this.

This is a travesty

It is not right!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Jun 12, 2009 3:48 pm

What really pisses me off too is that nobody cares

It is like Oh Well

I am tired of peoples apathy about stuff

This is why this whole nation is going down a shithole

All people care about is their I Pod's twitter, facebook, LCD TV's; American Idol, texting, and other trivial BS
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm

we're all just waiting on God, gs
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jun 15, 2009 5:47 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
we're all just waiting on God, gs

For me it shall be a long wait

That damn Magic 8 ball says I will live to see 100
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Just my luck!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jun 24, 2009 1:47 am

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Tom Gage
Memories of Tiger Stadium still vivid to Alan Trammell

Detroit -- He ended up peering through a gap in the fence like a kid stealing a free look at a game.

In town as a coach with the Chicago Cubs, Alan Trammell wanted to see the field at Tiger Stadium one last time.

So after talking about his memories Tuesday morning, and when the interview crew had walked away, he hurried across Trumbull to take a look -- although time was short and commitments were calling.

Unlike Lance Parrish a few weeks ago, Trammell didn't take a photo with his cell phone. But also unlike a few weeks ago, there wasn't much to take a photo of.

Except rubble.

And a press box elevator shaft that no longer leads to a press box.

And a flag pole standing as a treasured remnant.

What was left of the upper deck of Tiger Stadium collapsed Monday in a pile of twisted steel, concrete and whatever the old rotten roof was made of.

It doesn't look like a ballpark anymore. It's a heap to be cleared away.

Maybe Trammell wanted to see the dugouts, if he could. He didn't say. Maybe he wanted to see if the pitching mound was there -- or the infield, where he and Lou Whitaker played as a tandem for 19 years.

But he didn't leave without crossing the street from in front of Brooks' Lumber and taking a look. At another gap were some Tiger fans with a camera.

Farther down the street was someone else also just peering in.

And that's all Trammell did. He peered in, replaying 20 years in 30 seconds, and left. But for his own sense of closure, he had to peer in.

This wasn't a maudlin scene, however. It's not as if Trammell is a ballplayer hanging onto the past. For one thing, except for a few gray hairs at 51, he looks to be in playing shape.

For another, he's gainfully employed as the Cubs' bench coach. He looks and sounds current.

"I take care of myself," he said. "I still throw my session of batting practice."

This was about the joy of his memories, not the sadness of the site where they occurred.

"It's far more than I expected," Trammell said of the extent to which Tiger Stadium is gone. "I thought I'd get here in time to see it look, to some extent, like I remembered it."

But it doesn't.

However, the clarity of his memory brings it all back. Without having to try too hard, Trammell could envision the home runs that disappeared over the roof in right when he played.

Home runs that either landed on the roof of or in front of the lumber company where he stood Tuesday.

"Gibby's home run off Mike Brown that landed right here on this roof," said Trammell. "That's one of the things I'm remembering as I'm standing here."

The date was June 14, 1983 -- and, yes, Trammell's recollection is correct. The pitcher was Mike Brown of the Boston Red Sox -- against whom Gibson hit the first of his three career home runs that cleared the roof.

"I remember that blast off Brown," said Trammell. "Obviously he smashed it, and although I've never been back in there, somewhere on the roof of this building next to us is where it landed."

As if Gibson's home run opened a gate, however, the memories now poured through.

"Larry Herndon's blast to center, possibly the longest ball I've ever seen hit," said Trammell, "because the temperature was in the 30s and the ball still carried.
"Dwight Evans hitting a home run on the first pitch from Jack (Morris), five seconds into the 1986 season."

"The opening day of my first full season in 1978. Mark Fidrych beat Toronto with a complete game, but I remember a wrapper just in front of the dirt at the mound.

"The wind took it just as Mark was going to grab it. Well, Mark doesn't stop. He has to go get it as the wind takes it toward third -- and the crowd goes crazy.

"I can visualize that even now. He chased down that wrapper, put it in his pocket and finished strong.

"And one more that I'll remember forever," said Trammell, "that last game in 1999 with the stadium closing. It should have been Al Kaline coming out last -- he's Mr. Tiger -- but because it was two-for-one, I guess, they introduced me and Lou (Whitaker) last.

"Running out there with Lou was very special."

It now seems all very special.

No, there isn't a stadium at Michigan and Trumbull anymore. But in Trammell's mind's eye, there will always be a ball park.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Jun 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Almost All Gone!

Rotten Shame
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Stadium News   Tiger Stadium News - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tiger Stadium News
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3