DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

My Fair Lady (1964)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

My Fair Lady (1964) Empty
PostSubject: My Fair Lady (1964)   My Fair Lady (1964) Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 10:56 pm

This movie, a musical, tells the story of a low class woman who makes a career selling flowers on the streets who is discovered by a wealthy professor who vows to change her speech and manner so that she appears to be an upper-class citizen. The plot is nothing terrific, but it isn't bad either. It's a little slow at times, but consistently paced. There's a few moments that are somewhat comical which aids in the watchability of the three hour musical.

The film stars Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. They both act rather well. Harrison won Best Actor while Hepburn was nominated for no Academy Award. I was especially impressed with her accent which changes throughout the film At first she's dressed and speaks in a manner such that I couldn't even recognize her as Hepburn. She ends the film with an entirely different accent that sounds nothing like what I'm accustomed to for her.

While the acting was pretty good, the singing and dancing was less than stellar. The movie didn't have much in the way of dancing at all which seems a little odd for a musical. While I don't particularly care for the singing and dancing aspect of musicals, this one didn't seem to do this particularly well. Singin' in the Rain had lots of singing and dancing which I didn't care for either, but it seemed like it was much more well-done in this film. The major problem with this film is Audrey Hepburn's singing, or lack thereof. Her singing was dubbed by Marni Nixon which was very distracting as Nixon's voice sounds nothing like Hepburn's - it's way too high and Hepburn's character sings so much it is quite annoying. Hepburn did a little bit of singing in previous films I've seen and famously sung "Moon River" in Breakfast at Tiffany's (which I have not seen) so I'm not sure the dubbing of her voice was necessary.

Overall, this was probably more enjoyable a film than Singin' in the Rain despite its shortcomings. With the very distracting dubbing of Hepburn's voice and lack of impressive musical numbers, this film probably ends up being just slightly worse than Singin' in the Rain. For a fan of musicals (which I am not) this is probably a great film. For everyone else, this is a good movie, but not great.

72/100
C-

UP NEXT: Harvey.
Back to top Go down

My Fair Lady (1964)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: