DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium

Go down 
+2
catbox_9
gs78
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Empty
PostSubject: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 2:56 pm

According to Detroit News.com

After Sunday's Game, I went by the stadium; After someone told me demolition starts Monday, I went to the Marathon Gas Station across the street and bought a disposable camera.

If my pictures come out, I will post them

And that's if can do that! lol!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 5:23 pm

I wonder how much of it will be gone before the next homestand?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad Frown Frown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Frown

I'll be there next week; they couldn't have waited?!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Nope!

Glad I talked with that security guard; I figured it be there for a few more weeks.

Hopefully the camera I bought worked

I have a few pictures left; Gonna take some of my animals then take it to the CVS down the street and have em developed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 5:47 pm

So who's going to start a candlelight vigil?
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Kwame was full of hot air....as usual.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Tiger Stadium starts to come down
By JOHN GALLAGHER • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • June 30, 2008

The dismantling of historic Tiger Stadium has begun.

Wrecking crews punched a garage-door-sized hole in the north wall of the ballpark today, and at mid-afternoon a bulldozer and hard-hatted workers were visible inside the wall, pulling away railings and other parts of the structure, while a Dumpster and other equipment was parked nearby.

Outside a security fence erected over the past several days, Rich Curbelo, a freelance radio journalist from Bloomfield Hills, said he was there as a fan first.

“This is my friend,” he said, gesturing toward the stadium. “My friend is leaving me. A punch in the wall is like a punch in the heart.”

As the demolition work proceeds this summer, Hall of Fame baseball announcer Ernie Harwell and other members of the nonprofit Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy are racing against an Aug. 1 deadline set by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to raise money to save one corner of the ballpark as a community center and museum.

Contact JOHN GALLAGHER at 313-222-5173 or gallagher@freepress.com.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 6:13 pm

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=20080624&Category=SPORTS02&ArtNo=806240808&Ref=PH

for pics
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 7:22 pm

At least Kwame extended the deadline

But I got a feeling that won't raise the money.

Will be left with nothing but a vacant lot than in 10 years will be filled with trees and weeds and homeless bums

Last edited by gs78 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Like a good portion of Detroit is now!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Sad state of affairs when a city can't even see fit to keep baseball memories alive in some way....
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 7:57 pm

Or tear down buildings that are worse than Tiger Stadium first
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Like the Train Depot;

Looks like it was hit by a missle
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Now that's sad.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 3:31 pm

But it is true!

So many run down buildings in Detroit; but we gotta tear down Tiger Stadium.

Be one thing if someone wanted to develop the site; but it will sit vacant for years to come

In ten years, there will be so many trees and weeds; no one will even know a ballpark once stood there
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 8:49 am

gs78 wrote:
At least Kwame extended the deadline

But I got a feeling that won't raise the money.

Will be left with nothing but a vacant lot than in 10 years will be filled with trees and weeds and homeless bums

A vacant lot is better than a burnt-out, gutted, rotting building.....
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 am

"Once there was a ballpark......right here"

(sniff)
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Not really Tigersaint; Not if they let trees and weeds spread out over it.

Even the sidewalks on Cochrane have weeds 7-8 inches high poking through the cracks.

How hard is it to weedwack?
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedThu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 am

Trees and weeds are much better than rotting crackhouses.....sorry.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedThu Jul 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I am sure there will be some bums smoking crack there!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedSun Jul 06, 2008 9:32 am

When a ballpark like Tiger Stadium dies, part of us does, too
BY MITCH ALBOM • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • July 6, 2008

I took a drive last week to say good-bye to an old friend. I came off the highway, turned down a familiar street and there she was, right in front of me.

She did not look good. She was pale and broken down. Even the work she'd had done a few years ago now had decayed. She was spilling out, peeling, her fabrics were torn, and she looked none too steady on her feet. The summer sky was gray and she seemed to have a cloud affixed permanently over her head -- along with cranes, tractors and trucks by her sides.

There was a small hole in her body. But she will break and crumble much more in the weeks to come. She was born in 1912. Death is inevitable now.

Her name is Tiger Stadium.

They are knocking her down.

For the love of the game
I parked beyond some orange cones by a fence that had been constructed to keep scavengers from getting too close. A security man wearing a wool cap jogged over and said no one was allowed in, but when I told him I only wanted a last look at a place where I'd spent so many years, he relented. He looked to be in his 20s. I asked if he'd seen the Tigers play here. His face lit up. "Oh, yeah," he said, "my dad took me back in the day."

Of course, back in the day we didn't say "back in the day." But at that moment, smiling widely, the guy was not a security guard, he was an excited kid with a glove, certain the next foul ball would be his.

Somewhere inside us, aren't we all?

There are few romances like the ones with a ballpark. Unlike lovers, you don't mind sharing them. Unlike boyfriends or girlfriends, they do not fade with the crush. And unlike most summer flings, you get to renew your love every year.

It is Fourth of July weekend, a time when fireworks flew over this ballpark.

There are no fireworks left.

Her name is Tiger Stadium.

They are knocking her down.

The legends of Motown
I glanced at the fading logo on her wall, a tiger crawling out through an Old English D. I remembered how her hallways smelled of sausage grease and her dim tunnel lighting was out of a Bela Lugosi movie. But this was a place where you could walk with the players on the way to their cars, a place where you crawled up into a hanging pinecone of a broadcast booth to say hi to Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey, a place where sitting behind a pole was part of the charm, because if you leaned to the side of that pole, you might see Ty Cobb getting his 4,000th hit, or Hank Greenberg, just back from the Army, hitting a home run. You might see Mark Fidrych chatting with a baseball, or Jack Morris glaring down a hitter before striking him out.

My first assignment for this newspaper was here. I interviewed Lou Whitaker. We talked for a few minutes, and it would be my longest interview with him ever. I saw Frank Tanana here nearly lose his chewing gum in celebrating a final, playoff-clinching out. I saw Cecil Fielder clock monster home runs into the night sky. I saw a tireless, elderly, über-fan called The Brow charge up and down the aisles, urging people to cheer even when there was nothing to cheer about.

Tiger Stadium was mine and it was yours and it was anyone's who lived in this area over the last century. It belonged to your grandfather and your barber and your neighbor's aunt. It belonged to Cobb and Greenberg and Al Kaline and Kirk Gibson and Sparky Anderson and Frank Navin and the Briggs family and Tom Monaghan and Mike Ilitch.

It belonged to the earth it sat upon.

And soon, that is where it will return.

You don't save a building for the building's sake. Tiger Stadium has been empty for nine years, rotting and crumbling while people wrangled over plans. In the end, as with certain medicines, the plans could not save the patient.

She deserves a dignified end.

I rarely have taken a photograph of a workplace. But I raised my camera and snapped one before I left. It is not her best look, but with old friends, you gotta take the whole picture.

That Sinatra song goes, "And the air was such a wonder, from the hot dogs and the beer. Yes, there used to be a ballpark, right here."

Her name is Tiger Stadium. They are knocking her down.

Say good-bye if you get the chance.

She'd like that.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jul 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Click here for a video.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedMon Jul 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedWed Jul 09, 2008 11:46 pm

07/09/2008 8:48 PM ET
Demolition continues at Tiger Stadium
Conservation group trying to beat deadline to preserve relics
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The final farewell for Tiger Stadium might have begun as a conservancy group tries to save at least part of the old ballpark.

After years of legal wrangling, business plans, redevelopment ideas, upkeep and a project that goes on as supporters try to salvage a plan to preserve part of the historic structure, the stadium is now facing demolition. Workers began tearing down the stadium last week, a process that continued on Wednesday as excavators began taking down parts of the walls.

Photos taken Wednesday showed a large hole in the perimeter of the stadium beyond center field. Excavators went through walls from the outside and into the inner workings of the ballpark that opened in 1912 and served as the home of the Detroit Tigers through 1999.

The demolition is part of a plan approved by the city last year and awarded to a contractor this spring. Many of the seats and other memorabilia were auctioned off last fall, with more seats remaining.

While parts of the stadium come down, the nonprofit Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Group is fighting to meet an Aug. 1 deadline to raise funds that would help pay to preserve the diamond, dugouts and a limited number of seats. The project would develop those into a museum that would include the artifact collection of Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell, who is a supporter of the preservation plan.

The group is looking for private donations and has a Web site for supporters, but the best hope for preservation hinges at least in part on money from loans or through the federal government. The stadium is on the National Register of Historic Places.

If those plans fall short, the entire structure would be demolished, with some remaining parts auctioned off and others sold for scrap. From there, the city of Detroit would look for proposals on redeveloping the site in the city's Corktown neighborhood, just west of downtown.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedThu Jul 10, 2008 6:09 pm

DETROIT (AP) - Demolition crews smashed the historic walls of Tiger Stadium on Wednesday, punching through to the interior of the ballpark that stood for decades.

Outfield walls cleared by baseball great Mickey Mantle as well as Detroit Tiger sluggers Norm Cash and Cecil Fielder began to come down as contractors intensified their efforts to bring down the venerable park.
Backhoes and excavators, sometimes hard to see through dust and spraying water, whizzed around the site, picking up debris and dumping it in oversized bins. During one flurry on Wednesday, an excavator smashed through the exterior wall beyond left field, throwing support girders to the side.

The scene was tough to take for longtime Tigers fan Chas Matreal and his 23-year-old son, Ryan.

"All beautiful memories," Chas Matreal said. "It is something beautiful that we're destroying, and it's history."

The 49-year-old bricklayer from Milford said he attended 400 to 500 games at Tiger Stadium, many with his own father, starting in 1966.

"Demolition means progress," declared signs on a construction vehicle at the site. But Matreal disagreed, saying priceless memories are being lost.

"It's a natural museum of a hundred years that they're destroying," he said.

The ballpark opened in 1912 as Navin Field and hosted thousands of Tigers games, Babe Ruth's 700th career home run in 1934 and a speech by South Africa President Nelson Mandela in 1990. The final major league game was played there on Sept. 27, 1999.

The Tigers moved into Comerica Park in 2000.

Demolition of the ballpark began last week, and the contractors expect to make an estimated $1 million (?640,000) by selling scrap from the park.

City officials say an Aug. 1 deadline still stands for a nonprofit group to raise enough funds to preserve the field and part of the stadium between first and third base.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedThu Jul 10, 2008 6:27 pm

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium 2656969390_89b3a13404_o

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium 2656141311_0042f6cb53_o

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium 2656969524_e09c2c49d2_o
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedThu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 pm

That first pic was what we saw as we approached CoPa. Sad...and I never went to a game there!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedFri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am

Thursday, July 10, 2008
Tiger Stadium field, foul poles to be saved
Associated Press

DETROIT -- Tiger Stadium may be coming down, but the City of Detroit says the historic ballpark's field will be saved.

Fred Rottach (RO-tash), who oversees the stadium property for the city, says the playing field will remain intact after the park's demolition.

He says the foul poles and flagpole also will be preserved. The flagpole will remain in place, and the foul poles will be taken down and remounted after the demolition.

Two Detroit-area contractors began demolition of the ballpark last week and spent Wednesday tearing into the outfield walls.

An Aug. 1 deadline has been set for a nonprofit group to raise enough money to preserve part of the stadium.

The ballpark opened in 1912 as Navin Field, and the final major league game was played on Sept. 27, 1999.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Onlookers gather to watch Tiger Stadium demolition   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_minipostedFri Jul 11, 2008 12:56 am

Onlookers gather to watch Tiger Stadium demolition --07/09/2008

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=2473

Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium   Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Demolition has begun at Tiger Stadium
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Team Discussion & Game Day Posts-
Jump to: