DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Empty
PostSubject: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)   The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 am

I haven't watched a movie in forever ashamed Time to fix that. This stars Henry Fonda who I have yet to see in a film.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)   The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:13 am

Ever since I watched a special on the History Channel, or whatever channel it was, on the dustbowl, I've wanted to read that book (or watch the movie).
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)   The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 3:50 am

This movie tells the story of a Depression-era Oklahoman family who loses their farm and heads west to California looking for a job. This is one of relatively few Depression-era films that actually dealt with the Depression and it does a pretty good job at it. The plot is rather engaging although it is somewhat repetitive and predictable. Overall, it's still better than average.

The film stars Henry Fonda and he is great in this film. He's a plain-speaking idealist in the film and does a very good job. He was nominated for Best Actor but that award was wrongfully awarded to James Stewart in The Philadelphia Story which was given to him because he was not awarded the Academy Award for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington which was too controversial at the time. Unfortunately, that's the was the Academy works. The other actors in this film are pretty good as well especially Jane Darwell who plays Ma. She delivers a fairly memorable speech and the end and her portrayal won her Best Supporting Actress which seems well-deserved.

This film is based off a book and from what I understand the latter half of the film is not at all representative of the book. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's probably worth noting. The film does leave a rather bleak portrayal of the plight of the characters during the era and should be applauded for that.

Overall, this film is a pretty good one. The ending seemed a little too cheerful for me which is not the case in the book and that's probably the film's biggest flaw. It's still very good and definitely worth a watch.

81/100
B-

UP NEXT: The Best Years of Our Lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)   The Grapes of Wrath (1940) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: