DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision

Go down 
+2
catbox_9
bobrob2004
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Empty
PostSubject: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:01 am

Gates Shifts from Computer Viruses to Take On Malaria
By NEAL KARLINSKY
June 27, 2008

Bill Gates saved his first public display of emotion for his last day on the job. During his farewell speech at Microsoft today, Gates wiped away tears as his employees honored him with a standing ovation.

Pankaj Ojhe, a Microsoft employee, spoke with ABC News today.

"He will always be with us, even if he is not coming to the office," she said. "We will always get inspired because of our office ideals and values."

Another Microsoft employee shared a story about sharing an elevator with Gates on the employee's first day of work, almost knocking down the iconic figure.

Gates has been the driving force in the computer world since he founded Microsoft more than 30 years ago. As a brash 28-year-old college dropout, Gates was an early e-mail user and developed a vision that computers would change the world.

"I don't think people really understand what a revolution personal computers are causing," Gates said, long before people were aware of his potential.

Matthew Miller of Forbes magazine had nothing but praise for Gates.

"Bill Gates is almost single-handedly responsible for putting a computer or two computers in every single household in the United States and, really, around the world," said Miller.

As Gates revolutionized the world's computers with the advent of Microsoft, Gates' net worth sky rocketed.

When Microsoft went public in 1986, the 11-year old company was worth $315 million, rising to $2.5 billion at the launch of Windows.

Since his peak, Gates has donated billions of dollars to humanitarian causes, shrinking his own worth to $58 billion. This is Gates' first year since 1995 that he has not been the richest man in the world.

Despite his early retirement, Gates' ambitions moving forward in this new chapter of his life are enormous. He seeks to use his fortune not to wipe out computer viruses, but epidemics like malaria and AIDS.

Barb Elliot, a Microsoft employee, expressed her confidence in Gates' decision to focus on philanthropy.

"I am just delighted that he's going off to do what he's doing," she said. "It's terrific. I can't think of a better person to put in a position with that much money to solve social problems around the world."

Despite his retirement, Gates affirmed his deep love for software and programming.

"My primary life's work was writing software. That's what I was thinking about from the age of 13," Gates said.

As Gates embarks into charity work full-time, he has the potential to change the world -- again.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 am

He could give me some money whistle
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 am

Why couldn't I have founded Microsoft......Sad
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:13 am

I would settle for a few cases of free beer
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 1:14 am

LMAO
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_minipostedSat Jun 28, 2008 2:12 pm

His life probably is just as frustrating and boring as ours can be....but that $$ can sure change things!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision   Gates Retires From Microsoft With a Philanthropic Vision Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: