DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Empty
PostSubject: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:12 am

By DAVID YATES
LEDGER CORRESPONDENT

Published: Monday, June 23, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, June 23, 2008 at 8:45 a.m.

LAKELAND - Gary Sheffield bid farewell to Lakeland on Sunday, but not before helping the Flying Tigers rout Jupiter, 10-4, in Florida State League baseball at Joker Marchant Stadium.

Sheffield, who will be joining Detroit today after a month on the disabled list, was one of four Flying Tigers to belt home runs.

His solo home run onto the berm in left on the first pitch of the fifth inning made it easy for Lakeland manager Andy Barkett to give Detroit the green light that Sheffield's rehab assignment was a success.

"I feel good and I am ready to go," said Sheffield, who hit one other home run in his week in the FSL.

"Having a player of his caliber in the lineup did nothing but help us because of the intense way he goes about his business," said Barkett.

"I hope that all of our guys paid attention to the way that Gary stays locked in and focused throughout the game," added Lakeland's first-year skipper.

First baseman Ryan Strieby certainly looked like he was locked in Sunday, rocketing a two-run homer and a bases-loaded 410-foot triple that would have been a grand slam in every other league park.

"I thought I got all of it but here you can never be sure of that when you hit it to center field," said Strieby, who admitted that he shied away from approaching Sheffield about any hitting tips the potential Hall of Famer might offer.

Lakeland hitting coach Larry Herndon was not shy about praising Strieby's own approach to hitting.

"He has very workable mechanics and is so strong that you're going to see more nights like this one from Ryan Strieby," said Herndon, a veteran of 14 Major League seasons.

Jeramy Laster and Devin Thomas also homered for the Flying Tigers, who will play host to the Hammerheads again tonight at 7. Michigan southpaw Duane Below (4-4, 3.46) is expected to oppose Jupiter right-hander Jeffrey Allison (4-6, 4.36).
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am

Looks like Sheff is on his way back to Detroit.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 am

The above was from The Detroit Weblog:

There’s been no official word from the Tigers yet, but it appears that Gary Sheffield is Detroit bound. According to the Lakeland Ledger, Sunday’s game was Sheffield’s last rehab outing and he left to join the team.

During Sheffield’s rehab stint he only had 2 hits, both homers, in
13 at-bats. And in typical Sheffield fashion he drew 6 walks while
striking out just once.

Presumably this would mean Jeff Larish is optioned back to Toledo.
And hopefully this doesn’t impact Marcus Thames playing time.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:18 am

Larish will be the odd man out. I've all but given up on Sheffield. I hope he proves me wrong.

He should only bat 7th until he earns to bat 3rd.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:58 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Larish will be the odd man out. I've all but given up on Sheffield. I hope he proves me wrong.

He should only bat 7th until he earns to bat 3rd.

Larish has not excelled so far, I agree, he will probably be the odd man out.

Sheff hit 2 homers and walked in Lakeland, nothing else. I really don't have much hope either. If he homers, great, otherwise please retire!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 am

And Thames will probably sit on the bench this week.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:31 am

gs78 wrote:
And Thames will probably sit on the bench this week.

Good move though - Sheffield hits longer foul balls than Thames. Thames hits fair home runs but Sheffield hits higher popups than Thames. That's why Thames will sit while Sheffield bats 3rd hitting .175ish.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 am

I didn't have faith in Sheff when we first got him, but he proved me wrong then too. I'm willing to believe in him... for now.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:34 am

Thames needs to be playing everyday.

Tigers are finally on a roll.

Sheff might fuck it all up
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:38 am

Thames is liable to streak just like everyone else does. Who the hell knows? Maybe in a month we'll be bitching about him needing to be traded.

Odds are, Thames is going to stay in the lineup one way or another.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 2:41 am

Maybe,

But I rather see Sheff, Willis and Rodney on the shelf!

This team is hot!

Keep it going
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers   Sheffield Homers in Rehab Finale With Flying Tigers Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: