DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Spiders and Snakes

Go down 
+4
swiss_tiger
TigerLily
laprimamirala
catbox_9
8 posters

What are you afraid of?
Spiders
Spiders and Snakes Vote_lcap30%Spiders and Snakes Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Snakes
Spiders and Snakes Vote_lcap10%Spiders and Snakes Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Both
Spiders and Snakes Vote_lcap40%Spiders and Snakes Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Neither
Spiders and Snakes Vote_lcap20%Spiders and Snakes Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 5:12 am

All this talk of black widows in the Andrew Miller thread got me to thinking. I thought I heard somewhere that most people are afraid of either spiders or snakes but not generally both or neither. Is this true?

So which scares you?
SPIDERS:
Spiders and Snakes Wandering_spider

SNAKES:
Spiders and Snakes Agkist10

Personally, I'm not really sure. I don't care for spiders but I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them. I don't care for snakes but have no experience with them so I can't say I'm afraid. I do think I might be at least somewhat afraid of scorpions though for some reason. I mean imagine waking up with this on your pillow...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 am

You just have to be calm in getting away from 'em.
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 am

Love snakes, have ever since I was a kid (saved up for a month to buy a stuffed animal boa constrictor when I was 11).

Terrified of spiders. I scream and have a small fit when I see even the tiniest one.

Then again, for me, just about any bug will do it... I have been known to scream when flies land on me.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 5:32 am

Had to kill a black widow spider once at a friend's insistence...not my most favorite day.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 6:05 am

laprimamirala wrote:
Had to kill a black widow spider once at a friend's insistence...not my most favorite day.
affraid affraid affraid are you kidding me?? no way i could do that!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 7:40 am

I wasn't thrilled, but she was disabled and its web was right over her front door.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am

Alright yep, I'm a total girl. I hate both. I have severe arachnophobia and snakes whatever that is called. I make the man come and remove any sort of spider I see in the house. Gross gross gross.

I have no idea why I'm scared of spiders but I know why I'm scared of snakes. When I was a little girl, my family was really poor so for entertainment, my mom and dad used to take us on picnics a lot to this little park that had a stream in it and my brother and I would play in this stream. One day we were wading and there was this little tiny snake about as big as a pencil swimming by me and my smart dad says "Throw that snake up here and let me see it." So being the stupid little child that I was, grabbed it and it bit me. Duh Rolling Eyes It clamped on to my thumb and holy crap it hurt. Anyways, my entire arm swelled up and I couldn't move my arm for like 6 hours. I had to go to the hospital and oh yay was that fun. Every since, I hate snakes and am terrified of them. :haha:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 pm

laprimamirala wrote:

I did that yesterday! It was in my room. Those things don't like dying. Normally a swat with a magazine will kill a spider but this black widow must not enjoy death. I smashed at it like 5 times with a box. I thought it was dead but like half an hour later I noticed the "dead" body was gone. Later while sitting on the computer it was like 3 inches from my foot (I of course wasn't wearing shoes or socks). I smashed at it some more and stabbed it. It was dead that time!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah, this one didn't die easily either. I smothered it with bug spray and then stomped on it.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 pm

I didn't like having it crawl over to my bare foot after I thought I'd killed it. While its bite wouldn't kill me I think you have to go to the hospital if you're bit by one of those things.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 pm

SoulRat wrote:
So being the stupid little child that I was, grabbed it and it bit me.

At least it wasn't a rattlesnake or something. That would have hurt more.

On a related note, supposedly all 3 "animals" posted in the first post can kill an adult human.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 pm

definitely by black widows but also brown spiders.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 1:48 pm

We don't have brown spiders in CA at least not according to the map on wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Well I'm not really afraid of spiders or snakes, I just really don't like them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 9:35 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

What about scorpions?
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

What about scorpions?

Eh, I haven't had any run-ins with scorpions so I guess I'll figure that out when I actually see one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am

mrsrabelo wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

What about scorpions?

Eh, I haven't had any run-ins with scorpions so I guess I'll figure that out when I actually see one.

I knew I was a wimp Frown Stare at that first picture for about 5 minutes then shut your eyes and imagine waking up one morning having one like 2 inches from your face when you opened your eyes.
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedSat Jun 21, 2008 1:08 am

I use to have a pet snake when I was 8. It was the only snake I ever liked. I'm scared to death of every other snake. Just the thought of them makes me scared. Spiders scare me too, thanks to that movie about them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedSun Jun 22, 2008 2:07 am

Snakes don't bother me at all. I used to go catching snakes when I was a kid...so I'm rather used to 'em. Spiders, however...well....I'm not afraid of them, but I really don't like 'em. Anything with more than 4 legs is just creepy! lol2
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedSun Jun 22, 2008 3:25 am

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
Snakes don't bother me at all. I used to go catching snakes when I was a kid...so I'm rather used to 'em. Spiders, however...well....I'm not afraid of them, but I really don't like 'em. Anything with more than 4 legs is just creepy! lol2

LMAO That's my general rule of thumb too. If it's got more legs than a dog... I don't really want anything to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedSun Jun 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Kinda funny how critters with NO legs are acceptable to me....but more legs than a dog or cat is creepy. You would think that something with no legs would be creepier than something with extra ones...lol
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Actually I don't really like any non-human living thing that isn't a plant for the most part. There are exceptions, I really like all the dogs and cats we have (even our dog Roxy Rolling Eyes ) and I've liked other people's pets but if I encounter any sort of thing capable of movement that doesn't belong to somebody I'm not particularly fond of it and if it's small enough I'll kill it.

I don't particularly care for flies, moths, spiders, or anything like that. Squirrels and other small animals piss me off because they come out of trash cans and are probably rabid. One bit/scratch from them and you have to get 8 shots over several weeks and I hate needles.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Some people are afraid of rats/mice. They don't scare me at all (we even had pet rats a couple times). Anyone afraid of them?

Don't get me wrong - if one ran across my floor right now I wouldn't be happy to see it but I wouldn't be afraid of it.
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I love rats and mice, as long as they don't bite and live in a cage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I have a cat who likes to go outside and play with field mice until they are dead. Poor things No
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I have a cat who likes to go outside and play with field mice until they are dead. Poor things No

LMAO I had a semi-feral (but very loving) tomcat that did the same thing... to mice, rats, bunnies, birds, and the occasional opossum.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:29 pm

lol this cat is CRAZY. He is such a lover when he is in the house but he begs to go outside to kill things. Anything really, he doesn't care. He tried for a squirrel but the squirrel won, but he did get a baby mole, a robin, chipmunks and his favorite are those field mice/shrew things. It's nuts to watch him because he finds them immediately. It's creepy how fast he finds things under the leaves :haha: I'm about sick of his trail of death though, I won't let him out today and he's all upset LMAO
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 8:50 pm

LMAO Sounds like my cat! He was so loving and sweet and the moment you put him outside he turned into Rambo Kitty.

He died a few years ago and ever since there's been a mysterious explosion in the rabbit population around here (I'm not kidding, there are people all over town that complain about how there's suddenly so many rabbits).
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_minipostedMon Jun 23, 2008 9:19 pm

TigerLily wrote:
LMAO Sounds like my cat! He was so loving and sweet and the moment you put him outside he turned into Rambo Kitty.

He died a few years ago and ever since there's been a mysterious explosion in the rabbit population around here (I'm not kidding, there are people all over town that complain about how there's suddenly so many rabbits).

I'm sorry Hug

haha Rambo Kitty :haha: This one's name is Cousin Zeke and omg he is so sweet and lovey in the house, instant killer once he's out. He even went after a toad the other day. He's all black and he showed up at my door this winter when it was below zero. Him and another all black one and a white one. I'm assuming they are from the same litter and someone dropped them off. It's weird though because the 2 black cats are big time hunters and the white one is a wimp. The only thing he is concerned about when he goes out is getting dirty.

Mine hasn't brought home any rabbits yet, but he's still kinda small. He'll be getting squirrels before long Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spiders and Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiders and Snakes   Spiders and Snakes Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Spiders and Snakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: