DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Empty
PostSubject: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Thursday, June 19, 2008
Will it be 'old' Zumaya for Tigers?
The question is whether he can regain 2006 form

Tom is on the West Coast again with the Tigers. Rob is coasting somewhere as well. This week, they discuss the impressive power of Marcus Thames and how Joel Zumaya will do when he rejoins the Tigers.

You'll never believe who's already waving the caution flag, though. Then again, maybe you will.

Tom:
Looking forward to Zumaya being back?

Rob: It depends on which Joel Zumaya comes back. If it's the one from 2006, the one who took baseball by storm that year, I can't wait. If it's the cut-rate Joel Zumaya from last year, I'm not that thrilled.

T: You mean the "cut-rate" version that throws only 98 instead of 100? What do you mean cut-rate, Rob? Give the guy a break, he's never been a chump pitcher.

R: Don't you remember the Jhonny Peralta home run in Cleveland last year?

T: What about it?

R: The old Zumaya never would have given up that home run. If that's the pitcher the Tigers are getting back, they could be in for a rude awakening.

T: So you've decided to rudely awaken them ahead of time, right?

R: I'm not predicting that will happen. I don't even want to see it happen. I'm only warning people that it could. It's just that when he first burst upon the scene, he was going to be part of what would possibly be a good team for a long time.

But the Tigers have not been good for a long time. They're not even good this year. Let's be honest, Tom, ever since that hot start in 2006 -- ever since early August of that season, in fact -- this team has been under .500.

Thames earns spot, for now

T: Let's move on to Thames. What a success story he's become, waiting for his chance all these years, right? But he's someone who's kept his mouth shut along the way, so I imagine the two of you don't have much in common.

R: You're right. He speaks softly and carries a big stick. I speak loudly and carry ...

T: A big microphone.

R: You and everybody else have been waiting for this guy to put it all together and stay in the lineup. Maybe that chance has finally arrived. I hope it has, because I like Marcus. He's a class act.

But is he the everyday left fielder from here on out?

T: I don't know about "here on out," Rob. I would say the job is his as long as it deserves to be his. But the Tigers are in the position of having to stay with hot hands.

R: Is that really fair, though. Other guys are allowed to hit out of their slumps. Thames should be shown the same trust.

T: I'd agree with you if the Tigers weren't still under .500 and looking up. But at least he controls his own future more than he used to.

R: My prediction is he'll make the most of his chance.

Mets' timing terrible

T: I know you've supported Willie Randolph in the past, but were you surprised the Mets fired him?

R: No, only because they really expected that team to play better and it hasn't.

T: So they let him fly out to the West Coast with the team and fired him after a victory in Anaheim after 3 a.m. Eastern time. Class or not class?

R: No class. They should have fired him after last season's collapse. I said so at the time. But once they brought him back, they should have given him until the All-Star break to turn it around.

T: Was he a good manager?

R: I think he was an OK manager, one who should get another opportunity.

T: Like Cito Gaston, as you pointed out in the past?

R: Given that yardstick, Willie won't work again.

Technology a plus

T: One more thing, what do you think about instant replay?

R: I don't have a problem with it. Joe Dumars has a saying that I feel is the best in the world.

T: Let me guess: It's when he says, 'Good column, Rob.'

R: Joe works with the credo that it's not about being right, it's about getting it right. If baseball is serious about getting it right, I'm all for it. They can't ignore modern technology.

T: I just wonder if they'll really stop with home runs. What's next, the play at the plate?

R: Probably. It's kind of silly for everybody at home to know that a play is clearly called wrong, but to have it stand. Know what I'm saying?

T: Not often. But this time I do.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom.gage@detnews.com. and Rob Parker at rob.parker@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Zumaya will be more awesome than he was in 06
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 10:16 am

Go zoom! Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage IKON06c1732179556cb9d6fd916468e87aac1c45a077e4
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 am

Thursday, June 26, 2008
Rob Parker and Tom Gage: Foul or Fair
Sheffield, Willis: Money talks

Tom is back home for a while, needing a haircut after so much time on the road. Rob is home and owns a barbershop. But has there been any mention of a discount for his Foul or Fair friend?

"When I said 'half off,' I didn't mean the price," Parker said.

Anyway, this week they're wondering what Dontrelle Willis is up to, and disagreeing about the All-Star Game.

T: I noticed that a local columnist wrote that "whether they admit it or not, the Tigers are praying that (Gary) Sheffield regains his form." Sound familiar?

R: It does. That would be me.

T: My question is this: Why would the Tigers not admit that?

R: I don't think they want to come across as being worried about the money.

T: The money being his $14 million salary.

R: Correct. Deep down, they know they have a lot of money tied up in guys who haven't produced. Sheffield is one. Dontrelle Willis is another.

They have $21 million tied up in two guys who haven't produced. That's close to the entire payroll of the Marlins. You can't ignore the economics involved.

T: Speaking of Dontrelle, he hasn't even pitched in Lakeland. What do you make of that?

R: They're not counting on him. If this was a problem they thought they could correct, Dontrelle wouldn't be at A-ball, searching for answers. He'd be at Triple A pitching in games.

East coast bias

T: Did you see the latest All-Star voting? The tally was Boston/New York 6, Other Teams 3. Do you like the Red Sox and Yankees being in first place at six of the nine positions on the ballot?

R: I don't have a problem with it. It's the fans' game.

T: But six of nine? Isn't that a little heavy?

R: Sure, maybe even surprising. But when you've been that good for that long, fans, not just in your own city, look at you as the best and the brightest.

Go back to the 1970's and the Big Red Machine. A ton of the Cincinnati Reds made the team. But I can remember, when I was a kid, the Mets weren't represented.

T: They weren't represented when I was a kid, either.

R: They didn't exist when you were a kid. I'm not even sure the Yankees did.

Disappointing division

T: Miller Huggins said to say hello, Rob. Speaking of the Yankees, with four teams above .500, the American League East is probably the best division in baseball this season, right?

R: I agree.

T: What division is the worst?

R: American League Central.

T: Slip of the tongue, obviously. You meant to say the National League West, of course.

R: No slip -- the expectations for the teams in the A.L. Central were sky high. Many thought the Tigers and Indians were two of the three best teams in the majors. Both have been disappointing.

There's a good chance neither will make the playoffs.

T: A good chance? What's happened to the Rob who has been saying "no chance." What happened to the Rob who has been saying "you heard it here first"?

R: The Tigers are not going to make the playoffs, even though I read a story by you that called them legitimate contenders.

T: Because they are, Rob. I still won't be surprised if they win the division. Their depth will prevail in the second half.

R: Their lack of starting pitching will bring them down. You don't lose two starting pitchers and win the division.

Bye-bye, Tiger Stadium

T: One more thing, it looks like Tiger Stadium is coming down soon. A demolition fence has been put up around the old park, and you know what that means. That's the end just like when they put up the fence around your radio show a couple of weeks ago.

R: All good things come to an end at some point. Me and the Man aren't through, however, even if Tiger Stadium is. We'll be back, sooner rather than later.

T: But are you sorry to see Tiger Stadium go?

R: Of course, that place holds some special memories for me. I loved sitting in the center-field bleachers.

T: You sat in the center-field bleachers?

R: Sure, it was a party atmosphere out there.

T: You and all your close, warm personal friends?

R: My CWPF's, you got it.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 am

Quote :
One more thing, it looks like Tiger Stadium is coming down soon. A demolition fence has been put up around the old park, and you know what that means.

Sad Sad I guess I'm glad I was there when I was....time to get Drunk and remember the good old days at the old ballpark.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 am

I thought Kwame gave Tiger Stadium a stay of execution until August!

Sucks people can't touch the outside walls until then!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_minipostedThu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 am

They are going to go ahead and start knocking her down now. They just are not allowed to touch from dugout to dugout (the part they want to make a museum.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage   Foul or Fair: Rob Parker and Tom Gage Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: