DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers promote Egan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers promote Egan Empty
PostSubject: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_minipostedFri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Notes: Tigers promote Egan
Longtime scout will be special assistant to GM Dombrowski
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

While the Tigers await a decision from Kenny Rogers on whether he'll retire, the man Rogers credits for his career is getting a promotion.

Tigers scout Dick Egan, who just completed his 47th season in professional baseball, has been named a special assistant to the general manager.

The change in title doesn't mean a vast change in his job. He'll continue to work on the scouting side, but he'll be dedicated for various projects rather than making the rounds across the Majors to primarily scout potential opponents. His projects will be decided by president/general manager Dave Dombrowski.

"The difference is, I don't have a set schedule," Egan said Thursday. "Wherever Dave says go, I go."

The title is slightly different from those held by Tigers legends Al Kaline and Willie Horton, who work as special assistants to the team president.

The 70-year-old Egan has a long history with the Tigers organization.

Egan first broke into professional baseball with Detroit, which signed him to his first pro contract nearly 50 years ago. The left-handed pitcher made his Major League debut at Tiger Stadium on April 9, 1963, and ended up making 43 appearances with the club, all in relief, before being dealt to the Cardinals.

A generation later, Egan was coaching in the Rangers farm system when he came across a young lefty whom Texas drafted as a pitcher but who didn't pitch in high school. That was Rogers, who considers Egan a mentor to this day.

"I can't overstate the importance they had on my career, can't do it," Rogers said last year of Egan and former pitching coach Tom House. "But it was mainly for the confidence and the faith they put in me early on. I mean, they even saw talent when I didn't really see it or know what I was going to be capable of doing."

To take Egan's place on the Major League scouting staff, the Tigers promoted Jim Olander from national crosschecker to big league scout. He spent the last 10 years in amateur scouting, including five seasons with the Tigers over two different stints. Detroit hired Scott Pleis to take Olander's place as national crosschecker, following up on reports from area scouts.

AFL update:

Spoiler:
Happy Willie Horton Day:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_minipostedFri Oct 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Don't we already have like 8 other special assistants?
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_minipostedFri Oct 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I like that you can at least say the guy's 1st name here!!
Congratulations, Dick Egan!!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_minipostedSat Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm

hahahaha way to go Dick!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_minipostedSat Oct 20, 2007 5:44 pm

I also liked Dick McAuliffe!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers promote Egan   Tigers promote Egan Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers promote Egan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Past Seasons News :: 2007-
Jump to: