DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Vance Wilson needs surgery

Go down 
+2
bobrob2004
catbox_9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Vance Wilson needs surgery Empty
PostSubject: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Wilson's injury a torn ligament
Catcher has long road back to Majors after new development

DETROIT -- Tigers catcher Vance Wilson expected he was simply taking a pause in his rehab when he came up to Detroit this homestand. As it turns out, he has to hit the reset button.

What was initially thought to be a tear in scar tissue that had stopped Wilson's rehab from right elbow ligament replacement surgery last month was actually a torn ligament. He'll have to undergo another surgery -- probably next week -- and begin the rehab process all over again.

It was a clearly disheartening development for the veteran backup catcher, who had been an underrated presence on the Tigers' 2006 World Series team and had originally hoped to be back in action when this season started.

"At least I know what to expect," Wilson said. "But in the same sense, the rehab is so mentally grueling. It's like you're just kicked in the head every day. So to think about going through that again, it's tough. But in the same sense, what else am I going to do?"

Wilson missed the entire 2007 season when troubles throwing the ball in Spring Training were eventually pegged to a ligament tear. He had surgery last June and spent the rest of the year and offseason rehabbing before coming to camp this spring. His progress came slower than hoped in Spring Training, especially throwing, and he stayed back when the season started.

He began catching in extended spring games last month when he felt a pop in his elbow. The expectation was that it was a tear in scar tissue, another part of the process, and the Tigers used the time to bring him back up to Detroit.

Once he started trying to resume throwing this week, his elbow still wasn't responding well.

"Just playing catch, it still wasn't right," Wilson said. "Once I got back to 50 feet, I had popping and grinding. I could just tell my elbow was loose. And they say after you pop scar tissue, it's like five to seven days [before it feels good throwing again]. Well, it's been three weeks, so I kind of knew something was probably going on."

An MRI exam from Dr. Stephen Lemos revealed the tear.

At age 35, the news leaves Wilson with a decision to make. He's in the last season of a two-year contract, so any comeback might have to take place under a Minor League contract with a club, whether it's Detroit or somewhere else. Regardless, Wilson plans on having the surgery.

"The only thing you need the ligament for is to throw a baseball," Wilson said. "Even if I don't come back and play, I imagine I'll do something in baseball. I want to be able to throw. And I also have an 8-year-old girl who plays softball. So for quality of life afterwards, I'd get it for that."
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:38 pm

sick I was really counting on him this year, too Rolling Eyes.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 pm

That poor guy Frown
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
sick I was really counting on him this year, too Rolling Eyes.

:haha:

I got all kinds of people mad at me at Tigers.com when I said not to count on him. They all said "they're saying he'll be back in mid-April". Yeah, mid-April 2010 maybe. I still say he never plays again. He's old and is going to miss 2 straight seasons.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I didn't think he would ever come back either No
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Wave Bye, bye Vance. I will miss you.

He was always nice to me Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
Wave Bye, bye Vance. I will miss you.

He was always nice to me Sad

I saw him hit a HR off Dan Haren.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Tigers better start looking for a backup catcher! Hopefully one of those draft ones can take Dane Sardinha or Nick Trzesniak's place in Toledo so one of these guys can join the team next year!

Either that or re-sign Pudge at a lower salary for another year!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:14 pm

hmmm... seems throwing Rabelo in to that deal was a bit... umm... DUMB Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:16 pm

SoulRat wrote:
hmmm... seems throwing Rabelo in to that deal was a bit... umm... DUMB Rolling Eyes

I second that!

They had to of known that Vance wasn't going to come back 100%.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I second that!

Hell, I knew it. I still can't figure out why they got rid of Mike so fast scratch Idiots Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 pm

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

I second that!

Hell, I knew it. I still can't figure out why they got rid of Mike so fast scratch Idiots Rolling Eyes

I would guess FL insisted on a catcher, since they needed one, and DD was scheming all along that Inge would accept the position, since they said nobody wanted him. Now I wonder if they really did try to trade Inge??
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I doubt it. And Florida probably did insist on him since their last years catcher sucked bad :haha:
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:57 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I doubt it. And Florida probably did insist on him since their last years catcher sucked bad :haha:

But wouldn't it make sense to just not go ahead with the trade? That way we would still have a left handed pitcher and a back up catcher? Brandon Inge would've still been our 3rd baseman and we could've just kept Sean at first OR Carlos and Thames could split 1B.

Honestly I think I just need to manage the team...
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

But wouldn't it make sense to just not go ahead with the trade? That way we would still have a left handed pitcher and a back up catcher? Brandon Inge would've still been our 3rd baseman and we could've just kept Sean at first OR Carlos and Thames could split 1B.

thumbs up I totally agree with this entire post Nod Nod
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

thumbs up I totally agree with this entire post Nod Nod

Thank you. It seems as if us fans have more common sense than the Tigers management...
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 6:09 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

Thank you. It seems as if us fans have more common sense than the Tigers management...

Because we do Nod Hug
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 7:07 pm

But then the Tigers wouldn't have won today's game...
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 7:09 pm

This is the door opening for Vance. It's time for him to go.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

Sure if all of the changes never happened we might of lost todays game, but there is also the possibility of winning some of the other games we lost.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 7:27 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Sure if all of the changes never happened we might of lost todays game, but there is also the possibility of winning some of the other games we lost.

Nod What she said thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vance Wilson needs surgery   Vance Wilson needs surgery Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Vance Wilson needs surgery
Page 1 of 1