DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Big Papi becomes an American citizen

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Big Papi becomes an American citizen Empty
PostSubject: Big Papi becomes an American citizen   Big Papi becomes an American citizen Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 1:33 am

Slugger sworn in on Wednesday at Kennedy Library
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- David Ortiz, one of the finest sluggers in the long and storied history of the Boston Red Sox, is now an American citizen.

The Dominican-born slugger -- affectionately known throughout Major League Baseball as Big Papi -- had a big day on Wednesday, sworn in along with 226 other immigrants at the John F. Kennedy Library in Dorchester, Mass.

Ortiz declined to talk about the moment multiple times when approached by beat writers in the clubhouse before Wednesday night's game against the Orioles. However, he did say a few words to news reporters outside the Kennedy Library.

"I'm proud to be an American, and it's great to part of the American family," said Ortiz, dressed in a dark sport coat and white shirt.

Why did he choose to become an American citizen?

"Well, my whole family, pretty much my kids and everybody, have been born here," he said. "Like I said, America is a great country. I'm proud to be here, and now proud to be a part of it."

Ortiz is now eligible to vote in the presidential election in November, but it's a little early to ask him who he will vote for.

"I don't know yet," he said.

Tiffany Ortiz is proud of her husband.

"It's a big deal for him," Tiffany Ortiz told The Boston Globe. "It's really important, and I'm really proud of him."

When Manny Ramirez became an American citizen in 2004, it was a highly publicized event. Manager Terry Francona gave Ramirez permission to go to Miami to be sworn in, and when Ramirez took the field the next night at Fenway, he ran out with a small American flag and a huge smile.

This time around, Francona didn't even know Ortiz had been sworn in until after the fact.

"Is that why he had a sport coat on? I didn't know," said Francona, who enjoys a close relationship with Ortiz.

And unlike the Ramirez situation -- when he openly interacted with teammates about the event in the clubhouse on the day it occurred -- Ortiz was low-key.

Ortiz's father did come into the clubhouse about an hour before the game and shook his son's hand.

Ortiz is on the disabled list with a partial tear of the tendon sheath in his left wrist.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Big Papi becomes an American citizen   Big Papi becomes an American citizen Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 am

Congratulations I guess.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Big Papi becomes an American citizen   Big Papi becomes an American citizen Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 am

Now he can pay taxes just like other Americans
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Big Papi becomes an American citizen   Big Papi becomes an American citizen Icon_minipostedFri Jun 20, 2008 5:20 am

Good for him! He maybe can set a good example for others.
applaud
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Papi becomes an American citizen   Big Papi becomes an American citizen Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1