DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The day I Met Babe Ruth

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

The day I Met Babe Ruth Empty
PostSubject: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedTue Jun 10, 2008 9:45 pm

No, I'm not THAT old... lol2 this is an excerpt from Reminsce Magazine that I get...

By Harry Melvin
as told to neighbor Dare Freeman Ford
Hendersonville, North Carolina

I’m in sixth grade, in 1932 Atlanta, Georgia, when my hero, Babe Ruth, comes to town.

On their way back to New York from Florida spring training, the New York Yankees are to play an exhibition game with the Atlanta Crackers. Each school gets one free pass to the game. Lucky me—I win at my school!

When the big day arrives, my mother gives me a dime for the streetcar fare to Ponce de Leon Park and back. I run to the trolley stop.

When I finally get to the ball field, Babe Ruth is sitting a few rows up in the stands, signing autographs, with kids hanging all over him. I go through the gate, find a scrap of paper and run over. My heart races, as I breathlessly thrust the paper in front of the “home-run king” to get his signature.

Then Babe Ruth says, “Well, guys, I’m going to have to play a ballgame in a few minutes, so you’d better get going.” Everybody scampers away so they can get front-row seats, but Babe reaches out and grabs me by the back of my belt.

“Whoa, fella,” he says. “Wait just a minute. Can you tell me where the concession stand is?”

I turn and look straight at the big man with the spindly legs. “Yes, sir, it’s right over there.”

He smiles. “Well, if I give you the money, will you run over there and buy me a couple of hot dogs and a Coke?”

“Yes, sir, I’d be happy to.”

He turns to the reporter who travels with the team and asks, “How about lending me a couple of bucks, pal? Thanks.”

Babe Ruth gives the $2 to me and says, “Two hot dogs and a Coke, please. Hurry if you can, kid. I’ve got a ballgame to play.”

“Yes, sir.” I run as fast as I can to the concession stand, get his food, and hurry back.

I start to give Babe Ruth his change, but he says, “You keep it, kid.”

“But it’s a whole dollar seventy-five!” I exclaim. “It only cost a quarter for everything.”

“That’s okay kid. Keep the change,” he says.

I thank him and turn to leave, but the Babe says, “Not so fast, kid. You’re in too big of a hurry. What’s your name?”

“Harry, sir. Harry Melvin,” I reply, to which he says, “Well, Harry, sit down ’til I finish eating, and we’ll play a little ball.”

Before long, I’m sitting on Babe Ruth’s shoulders as he runs to first base. I get to meet some of the other players from the famous “Murderers' Row,” guys like Lou Gehrig, “Lefty” Gomez, Tony Lazzeri and Bill Dickey.

As the Atlanta Crackers take the field, I decide to find a seat, so I head toward the stands. Babe Ruth stops me. “Harry, hang on a minute. Come over here. Harry, do you have a bat?”

“No, sir.”

“Well, go over there and get yourself one of mine,” the Babe says as he points to a row of bats. My eyes must have grown as big as golf balls.

“Go ahead,” he says. “Take any one you want.”

I look them all over and choose one. “Gee, thanks a lot, Mr. Ruth. Thanks!” I say with a big smile as I turn to leave.

Babe Ruth snatches me back by my belt, saying, “Whoa there, Harry. You’re in too big of a hurry. Let’s let the whole team autograph your bat.”

When I finally sit down in the bleachers, I’ve got Babe Ruth’s autograph, his bat signed by the whole team, and lots of money in my pocket.

After watching the first couple of innings, I leave the ballgame and head to my neighborhood corner store, McCrory’s, where I spend all of the money in my pocket. When I arrive home, I have a grocery bag full of treats.

My friends and I eat candy and play ball the rest of the day. Our “ball” is gravel wrapped in black tire tape. Our “bat” has always been a broom handle, but today we’re stepping into the street with something much more.

Eventually, my autographed bat was destroyed. Somebody told me that it would be worth $4 million today. I told my wife that if she ever wakes up in the middle of the night and catches a grown man crying, she’ll know why.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 12:06 am

What a cute story!!! Poor guy though, that thing being worth $4 mil now!!!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:24 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
No, I'm not THAT old... lol2

Are ya sure? I mean...weren't we around when Puerto Rico became a US colony? LMAO
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Ohio, I just noticed something, we may have to fight for the title in your name.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 pm

lol2 I'm Twice your age (and then some!), therefore...I have dibs! LMAO I was watching the Tigers play Looooooong before you were even thought of! Nod Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:37 pm

I'll still fight for it, since your twice my age, you arent allowed to hit me, so by default, I win!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

LMAO Kids these days think they just know it all! You can't "win" something you don't own if it's never put up for grabs...and I'm not giving it up! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Well I dont recall you ever earning it in the first place...

I dont think Im gonna give up, I may stop a few days, then continue when I get back Saturday, but you will not win.lol!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedWed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 pm

kids! kids! stop yer bickerin'! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedThu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 am

I wish two hot dogs and a Coke still cost 2 bucks;

3:50 for a Ball Park Frank at Comerica; 5 bucks for a Hebrew National Dog.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedFri Jun 13, 2008 7:44 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
kids! kids! stop yer bickerin'! Big Smile

I prefer young adult whistle
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedFri Jun 13, 2008 8:02 pm

ok, young adults! young adults! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedSat Jun 14, 2008 1:49 am

I am still upset over the high costs of hot dogs and soda

Beer Too
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedSat Jun 14, 2008 1:49 am

Gas was probably 15 cents a gallon back then
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedSat Jun 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Dang, gs, you sure do complain quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_minipostedSun Jun 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Yes I do! whistle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The day I Met Babe Ruth   The day I Met Babe Ruth Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The day I Met Babe Ruth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: