DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Toll of the Sea (1922)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Toll of the Sea (1922) Empty
PostSubject: The Toll of the Sea (1922)   The Toll of the Sea (1922) Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 11:21 pm

This was on TCM today and I recorded it. I will watch it in about 40 minutes. This is a little different than most films I review. First of all, it may or may not be a full-length feature as it's only 53 minutes long. Second, despite being a silent film, this is in COLOR. This film was the first color film made in Hollywood, the first color feature that did not require a special projector, and the seventh color feature ever made.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Toll of the Sea (1922) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Toll of the Sea (1922)   The Toll of the Sea (1922) Icon_minipostedFri Jun 06, 2008 1:57 am

Like the movie, this review will be short.

This movie concerns a Chinese woman in love with an American man. As is typical for love stories, I didn't enjoy this. The plot had nothing much to offer other than a love story.

The acting here was nothing special even for a silent film. The characters showed some emotion and everything, but I didn't really care about what any of them were going through.

Overall, this film was basically just a demonstration of the two-strip Technicolor process. Other than the fact it was in color, it didn't really have much else to offer. This film did make some technological progress towards the development of color film, but I'm not sure if this is really much of a pioneer. This came out in 1920 but even 20 years later color films were still almost nonexistent. It deserves some credit for what it did, but I won't reward it all that heavily.

60/100
D-

UP NEXT: A Bette Davis movie - All About Eve
Back to top Go down

The Toll of the Sea (1922)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: