DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Hamilton to appear on SI cover

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Hamilton to appear on SI cover Empty
PostSubject: Hamilton to appear on SI cover   Hamilton to appear on SI cover Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Outfielder to be first Ranger featured since Ivan Rodriguez
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Josh Hamilton will be featured on the cover of the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated magazine, slated to hit newsstands on Wednesday.

"I think it's an awesome feat," manager Ron Washington said. "He's certainly been carrying this team."

The outfielder entered Tuesday leading the Major Leagues with 53 RBIs, and was the American League leader in total bases (126), hits (70), extra-base hits (29) and multi-hit games (22).

After struggling through personal problems and missing three and a half seasons of baseball, Hamilton has enjoyed unprecedented success this season with the Rangers.

Hamilton is the first Ranger on SI's cover since Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez graced the front on Aug. 11, 1997. The issue will follow the comic-book cover featuring the Rays, the team that originally drafted Hamilton in 1999, and left him exposed in the Rule 5 Draft in 2006.

When asked about the magazine's rumored jinx, the center fielder said he wasn't aware of it, but didn't flinch at the possibility.

"I never even heard of that," Hamilton said. "If there is one, jinxes are made to be broken, I guess. Right?"

So are expectations, as Hamilton's well-chronicled rise from drug addiction to superstar is an accomplishment that shouldn't be taken lightly.

"I don't really think bad luck [from the cover] is going to follow him," Washington said. "I think he's already been in that."

Something that Hamilton would like a repeat appearance of is a spot on the magazine's cover, albeit with a much different storyline.

"[It would] be nice to be on Sports Illustrated's cover holding a trophy," he said. "You know what I mean?"
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to appear on SI cover   Hamilton to appear on SI cover Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 10:39 pm

YAY! ?

I guess this is a neat story. Then again his problems were all his fault so who knows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to appear on SI cover   Hamilton to appear on SI cover Icon_minipostedThu May 29, 2008 5:26 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
YAY! ?

I guess this is a neat story. Then again his problems were all his fault so who knows.

Yay2
We got this today in the mail. Too bad it's the back of this jersey...rant!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to appear on SI cover   Hamilton to appear on SI cover Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1