DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Vizquel breaks shortstop record

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Vizquel breaks shortstop record Empty
PostSubject: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_minipostedSun May 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Giants veteran passes Aparicio's mark with 2,584 games
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Omar Vizquel made history Sunday, overtaking Luis Aparicio as baseball's shortstop iron man.

In the second game of a doubleheader at Dolphin Stadium, the 41-year-old shortstop played in his 2,584th game, passing Aparicio for most games appeared in as a shortstop.

That's a lot of games for a 5-foot-8, 175-pound guy playing one of the most demanding positions in baseball.

"It's a historic moment," said Bochy, who moved into 49th place on the all-time wins list for managers with his 1,042nd victory Friday. "He's excited, and we are, too. I'm proud of Omar, and I'm proud to say I'm here for [the record]."

But Vizquel's career has been about a lot more than quantity. The Venezuelan, who has made bare-handed plays on sharp ground balls look almost routine over the years, owns 11 Gold Gloves -- second only to Ozzie Smith's 13 -- and sports a career .274 batting average. He's also first among all shortstops who have played in over 1,000 games with a .984 fielding percentage and has been a part of an all-time-leading 1,658 double plays.

On top of that, he is one of only four shortstops in history -- and the only Venezuelan -- to have played 20 seasons in the Major Leagues.

"To me, it's just like any other game. It's nothing new for me," Vizquel said recently. "I wish I could be healthier to be able to enjoy it more. But at this moment, my knee and being able to play all season is most important."

Vizquel's record-setting year started off a bit questionable. He missed all of Spring Training after arthroscopic left knee surgery on Feb. 27, and then sustained a bone bruise that delayed his recovery.

Since then, however, Vizquel has played in 12 of the last 13 games -- starting 11 of them -- and is hitting .275 without making an error on the field.

Giants third baseman Jose Castillo, also a native Venezuelan who has the locker right next to Vizquel in Miami, is one of many who have been inspired by Vizquel over the years.

"He deserves it," Castillo said. "He's a companion who is always there if you need him. I know he will be in the Hall of Fame one day, and I hope to be the first one to congratulate him [when he ties the record]."
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 3:26 pm

applaud
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 4:10 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

Since then, however, Vizquel has played in 12 of the last 13 games -- starting 11 of them -- and is hitting .275 without making an error on the field.

What sucks is in the game he broke this record, he DID make an error. Unless they changed it, which I don't think they did. He was pissed. Poor Omar. I still Heart him though Nod
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 4:35 pm

SoulRat wrote:
I still Heart him though Nod

You do realize he's a righty? Sure, he switch hits, but he throws right-handed.

Oh yeah, nice job Omar!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 4:41 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
I still Heart him though Nod

You do realize he's a righty? Sure, he switch hits, but he throws right-handed.

Oh yeah, nice job Omar!

:haha: Yeah, but you can't hold that against him, he's Omar for Censored sakes! clap Omar!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vizquel breaks shortstop record   Vizquel breaks shortstop record Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1