DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats

Go down 
+2
SoulRat
bobrob2004
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Empty
PostSubject: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm

By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN,
AP
Posted: 2008-05-23 17:58:42

McALLEN, Texas (May 23) - Even though small independent baseball leagues notoriously try to draw fans with promotions like "vasectomy night" and "midget wrestling," these two teams had good reason to swap a right-handed pitcher for 10 bats.

The Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League couldn't get newly signed pitcher John Odom into Canada for immigration reasons. And the Laredo Broncos of the United League were willing to take a cheap gamble on a pitcher.

Oh, and the Vipers really, really wanted some new bats.

And so Odom, about a month after being acquired by a Canadian team, found himself Tuesday on the roster of a team on the Mexican border. All for the price of 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black 34-inch C243 style.

"They just wanted some bats, good bats - maple bats," Broncos General Manager Jose Melendez said Friday.

According to the Prairie Sticks Web site, their maple bats retail for $69 a piece, discounted to $65.50 for purchases of six to 11 bats.

The Vipers had signed Odom, but it seems Odom had a "minor," but unspecified, criminal record that he did not reveal to immigration officials before they scanned his passport, Vipers President Peter Young said.

Calgary found the Broncos were willing to take Odom, but the Vipers weren't interested in any of the Laredo players. Plus, it would have cost Calgary $1,000 to fly any new player in from Laredo. Laredo offered cash, but Young said that was "an insult." (:haha:)

The bat trade wasn't the first time Calgary tried some creative deal-making. The Vipers once tried to acquire a pitcher for 1,500 blue seats when they were renovating their field, Young said.

As for Odom - who did not immediately return a call for comment - he's scheduled to be activated Monday. And he'll get his first start Wednesday, Melendez said.

"It will be interesting to see what 10 bats gets us," he said.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Stunned omg LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 1:31 pm

:haha: LMAO
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 4:23 pm

No Way!

You guys putting me on?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 4:23 pm

That's Funny! lol2
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 6:34 pm

:haha: that is too funny
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Sheffield Almost Traded for the 10 Bats
AP
Posted: 2008-05-23 17:46:13

DETROIT, Michigan (May 24) - General Manager Dave Dombrowski recently admitted that Sheffield was almost traded to Laredo Broncos of the United League for 10 maple baseball bats. "We tried to get equal value for him and we thought this was our best option," Dombrowski told reporters.

"We got greedy and asked for a bag of baseballs to be named later," continued Dombrowski explaining why the deal didn't go through. "He [Sheffield] was heating up the last few days and so I asked for a little more in return." Sheffield went 3-4 on Thursday and hit a home run yesterday.

"The bats were expendable, but the bag of balls is off limits," Broncos general manager Jose Melendez said. "I'm trying to build a championship-caliber team here. I can't just ship key parts like their pieces of equipment. If The Tigers need a bag of balls they are going to have to find another place to get them."

The bats and balls were not available for comment.

Dombrowski didn't deny anymore players for non-life forms in the near future. When asked if the Kenny Rogers for a cooler of Gatorade rumors were true Dombrowski said, "we're looking at every possibility to help improve our ball club." When reporters asked Leyland how he felt of this trade rumor his reply was, "I'm hoping for fruit punch flavored!"

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 7:17 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

"We got greedy and asked for a bag of baseballs to be named later,"

O-M-G...dying...can't breathe...LMAO LMAO LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Great work on that last one bobrob!!!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedSun May 25, 2008 6:09 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

lol2 Thanks! I think you wanted me to do a fake article for a while now and I thought this was a good opportunity to do one.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Good Job
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 11:28 am

I almost believed the way Sheff is performing.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

lol2 Thanks! I think you wanted me to do a fake article for a while now and I thought this was a good opportunity to do one.

clap

If you really want to get clever create an HTML page that looks like AOL so you can give a better link. Use tinyurl.com to hide the real link. Then link to AOL from the HTML page. People won't know what hit them!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 1:19 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

clap

If you really want to get clever create an HTML page that looks like AOL so you can give a better link. Use tinyurl.com to hide the real link. Then link to AOL from the HTML page. People won't know what hit them!

I thought about doing something like that, but I thought it would be too much work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats   Player Traded for 10 Baseball Bats Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: MLB Breaking News-
Jump to: