DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Rope (1948)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Rope (1948) Empty
PostSubject: Rope (1948)   Rope (1948) Icon_minipostedSat May 24, 2008 4:31 am

I just watched this so here's a review.

Rope is an interesting film to say the least. It stars James Stewart and some other people who are less important. The movie is quite odd in that it's just one scene long. The entire movie is shot in real-time and the camera never cuts away or changes or anything. The film gives the impresion that it's just one long take. This isn't exactly true as reels only held ten minutes of film back then, but you'd never know that watching this.

Of course, even with such an innovative use of pacing, a film with a bad plot can't be saved by uniqueness alone. This film has a great plot. It basically starts with a murder, a "perfect" murder, where the body is hidden in the house and then the victim's family and others are invited for a dinner party at that very house. The victim doesn't show up and people get worried. While a movie in real-time could theoretically get slow at times, this does not. The tension builds nicely as the movie progresses and people get more and more worried about the victim's absence and come closer and closer to accidentally finding him.

As for the acting, this has James Stewart. As is typical, he is great here. Stewart is not the murderer but he is still a rather important character in this film. Stewart plays his part perfectly. There are actually two murderers and both actors do a great job. One is very confident while the other is nervous and drunk. Their acting doesn't feel forced, but rather very natural. The other characters are mostly minor but do a good enough job.

This film addresses some of the philosophy of Nietzsche and his idea of a superman. I suppose that makes this a better film since it has some substance to it.

Overall, this is pretty good. The acting, plot, and philosophy are all good. This isn't the greatest movie ever, but it's still quite good. The uniqueness of it is kind of cool and that deserves a couple of bonus points just for that. This isn't Hitchcock's best film (although that's hardly an insult - he has so many great films) but it's better than his average film.

87/100
B+

UP NEXT: Who knows. If it isn't before Monday it'll probably be The Birth of a Nation but if it's before Monday it'll probably be Rear Window.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

Rope (1948) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rope (1948)   Rope (1948) Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 6:18 am

I also know this one. I agree with your voting on this one. It's awefully entertaining and as you wrote catbox, the plot and philosophy behind it, are quite unique.
Two thumbs up for this one. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

Rope (1948) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rope (1948)   Rope (1948) Icon_minipostedMon Jul 28, 2008 12:56 am

I just watched this.

When I first read what this movie was about I didn't know if I'd like it. Catbox does a nice review, so I won't bore anyone with the same thing. It turned out to be a great plot and, as usual, great acting by Jimmy Stewart.

2 things I'd like to add: Great monologue by Jimmy Stewart at the end clap Bonus points for that. Also, was it meant to imply that the two murderers were lovers?

92/100
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

Rope (1948) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rope (1948)   Rope (1948) Icon_minipostedMon Jul 28, 2008 1:15 am

They were indeed lovers. Obviously you couldn't show gay people in 1948 so they had to imply it. It's based on the real-life story of murderers Leopold and Leob (then again, the writer denies this).

You can read about those two here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rope (1948) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rope (1948)   Rope (1948) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Rope (1948)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: