DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle

Go down 
+7
SoulRat
catbox_9
bobrob2004
gdennis59
GoGetEmTigers
laprimamirala
swiss_tiger
11 posters
AuthorMessage
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Empty
PostSubject: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:26 am

Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle: 'I really can't believe this is happening'
By Bob Nightengale • USA TODAY • May 20, 2008

Get the full article here http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080520/SPORTS02/80520006/1050/SPORTS02

Here is a part of it that really embarrassed me!

Sheffield looks around the clubhouse. It is two hours before game time against the Arizona Diamondbacks, and video is being shown of Dan Haren, the opposing pitcher.
No one is watching.
Cabrera, who had never faced Haren, is asleep in a chair. Magglio Ordonez has his back turned to the TV and is reading a magazine. A handful are playing cards.

Can you believe that?!! rant
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:28 am

Yes, I can believe it. They've tried all the tricks up their collective sleeves except the obvious.......they need new management.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:30 am

Something or someone has to wake them up! It's obvious Leyland is not the "someone" here....
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:45 am

What is pissing me off about that article is how Guillen says "it wasn't fair to us" that the media hyped up their capabilities for the season.
Hmmm. Let's be really fair about this. Somebody in the Tigers franchise had to generate this to the media. The media is not going to go out looking for it, because there are 30 other teams trying to do the same thing! The Tiger franchise started the hype! Maybe the players should complain to the office and tell them not to build them up so much!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 9:57 am

Free Press wrote:
"I'm so sick and tired of this," DH Gary Sheffield says. "Every single day. If we do one thing right, we do two things wrong.

"And when we don't play good defense, it turns ugly, which is happening now.

"We ain't done nothin' right."

The Tigers aren't pointing fingers toward one another, perhaps because the culpability is shared.

Miguel Cabrera, who signed an eight-year, $152.3 million contract extension this spring, is hitting .182 with runners in scoring position, going 12 days without an RBI until last weekend.

The pitching has been just as bad. Three starters have an ERA of at least
Ace Justin Verlander, who won 35 games the last two years, is
1-7.
Jeremy Bonderman, the No. 2 pitcher, has two wins. Dontrelle Willis, acquired along with Cabrera from the Florida Marlins and given a three-year, $29 million extension, is having as many control problems on his rehab assignment as he did in his two starts (nine walks in five innings).

THEY STINK! AND SHEFF KNOWS IT

Free Press wrote:
But, oddly enough, eerily calm inside.

"It's so relaxed in here," says Sheffield, who is hitting .189 with two home runs and eight RBI as he struggles with right shoulder pain. "I don't know if that means that we don't have a killer instinct or we're just a real loose
team. I've never seen anything like it."

TOO CALM, NO KILLER INSTINCT IS THE TRUTH!

Free Press wrote:
"We used to pride ourselves on beating those high-dollar teams," says utility man Brandon Inge, who lost his starting third-base job after Cabrera's arrival. "We wanted it more. We played hard. We hustled. We ran everything out. We fought for nine innings.

"Now we're that team we used to beat. I don't want to get into it, but it's just different now."

THEY KNOW THERE IS A HUGE PROBLEM... MANAGEMENT IS NOT TRYING TO PUMP THEM UP, THEY ARE LULLING THEM TO SLEEP!

Free Press wrote:
He acknowledges his team could be more close-knit, but that's a byproduct of losing, he says.

"That's everybody's cop-out all the time," Leyland says, "that chemistry must not be good. No, the chemistry is not good right now because we're
getting … beat."

NO, THAT IS YOUR COP-OUT LEYLAND!

Free Press wrote:
Yet, Leyland says, with seven All-Stars in the starting lineup and virtually everyone having postseason experience, he insists they should have welcomed the expectations.

"We should be able to handle it," Leyland says. "But for whatever reason, we're not playing like we welcomed it. We're not playing relaxed."

There's still time.

The Tigers are reminded that the New York Yankees were counted out after
their 21-29 start last year and still reached the playoffs.

And no one has taken off in the AL Central, leaving the Tigers 6 1/2 games out of first place.

"If we were all flashes in the pan, it'd be different," Jones says. "But we all have long track records. I know we can do this.

"If we figure out what we're all about, we won't have to worry about anybody else in the league.

"And if we don't, we won't have to worry about anybody else, because we'll be buried."

YOU ARE PLAYING TOO RELAXED! YOU IDIOT!

And Todd is right in saying
"And if we don't, we won't have to worry about anybody else, because we'll be buried."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

I have to be gone for a short while this morning but I'll keep checking the sites too. Something has to go down, and soon!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 11:21 am

"And closer Todd Jones was left stranded in the bullpen, with one save opportunity since April 29."

Pisses me off the most.

"That wasn't fair to us."

That is true.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 11:52 am

Fire Leyland!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 12:04 pm

embarrassment over. We need some ACTION!!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:13 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Fire Leyland!

Nod
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:56 pm

Disgusting. Fire the whole damn coaching staff!
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 3:32 pm

This is embarrassing! We have the 2nd highest payroll in all of baseball, and have the 2nd worse record in all of baseball! The pitching isn't getting it done, my 7 yr old Daughter can hit a ball harder and farther than some of these clowns, and Leyland isn't going on a rampage....what's wrong with this picture???

The players have held "players-only" meetings....but what is being said? Are they saying "Look...we just have to look like we're trying, it doesn't matter if we win."???? Well...I have news for them....they don't even look like they are trying!!!!! They look like a bunch of over-paid pansies that think they can go through their career collecting a paycheck and not do anything to earn it. This is Really pissing me off! It's time Dombrowski did something about it! Weather it's fire Leyland, or threaten the players to trade them...Something has to be done! This lineup is supposed to be one of the most feared in the league...instead, they look like a bunch of National League pitchers up there at the plate!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 5:10 pm

Go to my "Rants Go Here" thread in the Whatever section!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 10:39 pm

I really don't want to be a part of all of this 'Fire Leyland' 'Fire Jones' 'Fire *insert name of any person that is associated with the Tigers*' but something needs to change. I don't really think the problem is with the players because there is no reason we should be playing like this, I think the problem is in the managerial staff. I don't care what you do to fix it but it needs to be fixed soon.

The first step is to walk into the clubhouse with a needle and burst all of these huge egos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 10:42 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
I really don't want to be a part of all of this 'Fire Leyland' 'Fire Jones' 'Fire *insert name of any person that is associated with the Tigers*' but something needs to change. I don't really think the problem is with the players because there is no reason we should be playing like this, I think the problem is in the managerial staff. I don't care what you do to fix it but it needs to be fixed soon.

The first step is to walk into the clubhouse with a needle and burst all of these huge egos.

...and watch the money spill out! whistle
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 12:50 am

mrsrabelo wrote:

By no means am I suggesting firing anyone...but I do think something needs to be done...and done quickly! We got a big win tonight....I just hope it carries through and we can keep it going!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Leyland SHOULD be embarrased by his team, including his woeful managing.

Time to exit gracefully, old man!!
Back to top Go down
TrammMan
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
TrammMan

Male
Number of posts : 90
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Granderson- NON TIGER Carlos Pena
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 4:34 pm

very well put Tigersaint!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 4:43 pm

tigersaint wrote:

clap My thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 5:18 pm

tigersaint wrote:

I think he'll be done after the ASG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle   Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Leyland embarrassed as Tigers struggle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: