DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Empty
PostSubject: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:17 am

BY JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • May 20, 2008

Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland collaborated on a world title in 1997 and an American League pennant two years ago. When they met Monday morning, though, their Tigers owned the worst record in the league.
Detroit has had inconsistent pitching, fielding and hitting over the season's first seven weeks, and an apparent need for change has collided with the realities of a rigid roster. The Tigers' payroll is around $135 million, of which a large portion is tied to long-term contracts.

For all practical purposes, avenues to reshape the team are limited. Leyland, who is in his third season as the club's manager, is intensely loyal to his coaches, so changes to the staff are unlikely now.

The club did not announce any personnel moves Monday, and Dombrowski would not say whether any would be made today. The simplest solution, of course, is for players to perform better. Detroit is a woeful 3-12 since sweeping New York at Yankee Stadium, and the team looked sluggish in a weekend series against the young, energetic Arizona Diamondbacks.

"We're all responsible -- myself, first and foremost -- for the club you put on the field," said Dombrowski, the team president and general manager.

"We have not played well. We're better than what we've shown. We're all responsible for that."

Dombrowski would not reveal the substance of his meeting with Leyland, but some of the team's most immediate decisions relate to the starting rotation.

Dontrelle Willis (hyperextended right knee) has completed three rehabilitation starts at Triple-A Toledo and could resume pitching in the majors soon. But his replacement, Armando Galarraga, has been the Tigers' most consistent starter, and Willis did not have good control in his most recent outing.

"I'd imagine that he's going back into the rotation, but I haven't heard anything definitive," said Willis' agent, Matt Sosnick. "He felt like he threw the ball well and that his body felt good."

Team officials could have both Galarraga and Willis in the rotation if they decided to move another pitcher out, but it's unclear if they will be willing to do so.

A frequently overlooked weakness this year has been the Tigers' diminished infield defense, which bears some blame for 22 unearned runs -- second-most in the league.

Third baseman Carlos Guillen and first baseman Miguel Cabrera are not as adept in the field as Brandon Inge and Sean Casey, respectively, were last year. Equally important, Edgar Renteria's range at shortstop is not significantly better than Guillen's was there in 2007.

A potent offense would effectively erase the team's other shortcomings, but only one regular, Magglio Ordoñez, is hitting over .300. Renteria, who batted third on Sunday, has a .152 batting average and no extra-base hits this month.

Guillen, Gary Sheffield and Curtis Granderson all had strong performances for Detroit last May. So far this month, they are batting .228, .200 and .177.

"These guys are much better players than what they've performed so far," Dombrowski said. "Players normally settle in from a statistical basis, year in and year out, so I would anticipate that we will improve as a ballclub.

"We're just not swinging the bats at this point. I'm not going to single guys out. We haven't played well as a club."

Cabrera has had an uneven start to his Tigers career, as he leads the team in both home runs (seven) and strikeouts (33).

He is batting .182 with runners in scoring position, although he is in better shape than he was last year, scouts from other teams have expressed concern about his mobility. (Dombrowski said he would not discuss any player's conditioning publicly.)

When asked about Cabrera's performance, Dombrowski said, "I don't want to single him out because he's not the only guy off to a slower start than normal. ... I don't know if we have any of our everyday players putting up the overall numbers you would anticipate."
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

My answer is to get contracts with that nice little clause:

"IF YA AIN'T PRODUCIN', OUT YA GO. NO MATTER WHAT."

my campeon included. I'll follow him anywhere he goes, but this is for the team.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 3:57 pm

"We are ALL responsible"

-including you stupid fans for believing in us!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_minipostedWed May 21, 2008 5:21 pm

I know. We're kinda gullible that way Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Tigers will be Number 1 in October
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible   Dave Dombrowski on dismal start: We're all responsible Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: