DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Satan Met a Lady (1936)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Satan Met a Lady (1936) Empty
PostSubject: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedSun May 18, 2008 4:20 am

I just watched this so here's a review:

For those that don't know, this is the first remake of the original The Maltese Falcon. Unlike the original and the phenomenal remake 5 years later, this one is quite different. First, it's a comedy. Second, the plot is drastically changed. While pretty much the same stuff happens there is no longer a Maltese Falcon, but rather some stupid horn. The characters all have different names which was kind of dumb. Also, Joel Cairo is now an Englishmen and Mr. Gutman (the fat man) is now a woman.

As for my thoughts on the plot. It was terrible. Yeah, it had its moments that were similar to the book and movie it's based on, but the deviations were far too great. I don't mind huge deviations, but these were awful. The reviews say this is supposed to be a comedy of some sort but I didn't laugh once. I don't even recall any jokes that were supposedly in this movie. All I know is there were a lot of moments that just felt awful.

As for the acting, it wasn't great. It has Bette Davis who is a great actress, but she couldn't save this. In fact, she reportedly said this was the worst film of her career. I would certainly hope so as this was just plain awful. Honestly, she wasn't too bad here but the guy that plays Sam Spade (who has some other name not worthy of being looked up) is just terrible. He epitomizes the term suck acting. Every moment he was on screen made you want to hurt someone. The other principal cast members weren't much better.

Overall, this is absolutely awful. The film's only saving grace is my fondness of the remake 5 years later. Being able to sort of see parts of that film in here probably doubled this films score. That shouldn't have happened, but it did. Unless you are the biggest The Maltese Falcon fan there is there is absolutely no reason to watch this, it's horrible. In fact, this film is so bad that it is the worst film I've reviewed so far - worse than Topaz. Not only is it worse than Topaz, but it scores significantly worse than Topaz's 50/100. And believe me, this score is very generous.

42/100
F

UP NEXT: A while ago it was supposed to be Dark Passage but that didn't happen. Maybe I'll watch it for real this time.
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedSun May 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Watch The Hottie and the Nottie and write a review for it. I'd love to know what you think of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedMon May 19, 2008 3:11 am

kharmon wrote:
Watch The Hottie and the Nottie and write a review for it. I'd love to know what you think of it.

7th worst film all-time according to IMDb. Too bad it's 2008. I might watch one of these god-awful films at some point. I've only given out 2 F's so far and that's just not enough. Still, I can't just give out F's to films like North By Northwest - that just isn't right. Giving such a film an F (or even a D) would instantly take away all my credibility as a film critic (not that I have much anyways).
Back to top Go down
ScubatheHooD
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger
ScubatheHooD

Male
Number of posts : 141
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Fernando Rodney
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedMon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

If you want a ridiculously bad movie that is so entertaining just due to the fact that it is soooo bad... Watch "The Suckling." In all aspects the movie should be an F... But it's so bad that you can't help loving it for its awfulness.

It might be hard to find, but I heard a rumor that it recently was released on DVD.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedMon May 19, 2008 6:17 pm

ScubatheHooD wrote:
If you want a ridiculously bad movie that is so entertaining just due to the fact that it is soooo bad... Watch "The Suckling." In all aspects the movie should be an F... But it's so bad that you can't help loving it for its awfulness.

It might be hard to find, but I heard a rumor that it recently was released on DVD.

IMDb gives it a 3.5 - that's a mediocre F.

Hey, you know a bit about films. Can you recommend a movie from pre-1970 (the older the better) that is really bad? Not bad in the sense it's not your type of movie (I mean most guys don't like Gone With the Wind), but bad in that it's just awful.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_minipostedMon May 19, 2008 7:19 pm

The Suckling sounds like something I'd watch LMAO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Satan Met a Lady (1936)   Satan Met a Lady (1936) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Satan Met a Lady (1936)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: