DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland defends staff, accepts blame

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Empty
PostSubject: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 12:17 am

05/13/2008 9:41 PM ET
Skipper shifts spotlight from hitting, pitching coaches
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland knows the yin and yang of glory and blame in the baseball business.

"Players deserve the credit [when the team plays well]," Leyland said, "and the manager accepts responsibility for the team not going well. That's just the way it works."

As such, Leyland has said publicly to hold him responsible for the Tigers' struggles. To him, though, that doesn't mean he accepts the notion that coaches should be scapegoats. He sees that not so much as a fix but as a superficial measure.

"I think that's all normal talk," Leyland said. "That's radio show talk. That's bar talk. That's an opinion, and I disagree with that, obviously."

Both hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and pitching coach Chuck Hernandez have received their share of public scrutiny as far as what their message is, and how players are receiving it, as the Tigers continue to hang under .500, and struggle in various statistical areas. Leyland, however, believes that's the wrong direction to start pointing at this point in the season.

The Tigers entered Tuesday with the highest earned run average in baseball. Leyland acknowledged those problems, especially when it comes to starting pitching, but countered that by noting that two years ago under Hernandez's tutelage, the Tigers had the lowest ERA in baseball.

"That's the thing that goes along with our business -- you're looking for someone to blame," Leyland said. "There's not a thing wrong with the pitching coach, but we do have to start pitching better. There's no question about that."

As for McClendon, Leyland said the role of a hitting coach is one of the toughest on a team because of the work involved -- not just working with so many hitters every day, but watching video every day.

Sometimes, Leyland said, it's not that the teaching is wrong, but the message isn't getting through. In that case, the solution could involve repeating the message in different ways, and reinforcing it, until a player gets it.

"I think different people can interpret things differently," Leyland said.

Later, he added, "We're not 16-22 [entering Tuesday] because Chuck Hernandez isn't good. He's an excellent pitching coach, as good as I've been around. But we are all in the same boat."

In other words, they'll sink or swim with this team as a group.

"I'm working just as hard as I did in 2006," Leyland said. "My staff's working as hard as it did in 2006."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 12:23 am

Quote :
Sometimes, Leyland said, it's not that the teaching is wrong, but the message isn't getting through. In that case, the solution could involve repeating the message in different ways, and reinforcing it, until a player gets it.

We must have a bunch of stupid hitters then, if this is the case.... NOT!

Quote :
"I'm working just as hard as I did in 2006," Leyland said. "My staff's working as hard as it did in 2006."

Difference is, you did not have time to ruin the pitchers in 2006, you inherited them. Now after two years of Chuck, we have a struggling pitching staff, except for the ones you have not ruined yet, like Gala!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 12:57 am

Nate should have not be taken out either!

82 pitches after 7 innings!

Leyland should have let him in there for at least one more inning!

The Indians had Lee and Carmona both pitch nine innings in their DH on Monday.

Unless Verlander throws a no hitter, we won't have a starter go nine all season.

BULLSHIT!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 1:04 am

Yes, Leylands management is bull Censored this year! I agree with you GS.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu May 15, 2008 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 1:05 am

Especially when we lost a game that we had no business losing!

0-4 against KC so far!

I can't believe it
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedThu May 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Firing Leyland and all of his "accepting the blame" staff should be a high priority now.

What else can they do? Fire all the millionares?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_minipostedThu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm

I want to know why no one has yet been fired? WTF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland defends staff, accepts blame   Leyland defends staff, accepts blame Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: