DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 3:02 am

05/09/2008 11:35 PM ET
Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list
Run-scoring double against Yanks pulls vet even with legend

By Scott McNeish / MLB.com

DETROIT -- One Tigers outfielder pulled even with another on Friday night against the Yankees at Comerica Park.

Newly instated left fielder Gary Sheffield recorded his 1,583rd career RBI on a double to left field in a three-run third inning, tying Hall of Fame outfielder Al Kaline for 35th on the all-time list. The hit gave the Tigers a three-run lead, and they hung on for a 6-5 win.

At first, Sheffield didn't know that he tied the Tigers legend, but he was pleasantly surprised.

"When I got in the dugout, guys told me," Sheffield said. "If I would have known that when I was out on base, I would have acknowledged it. I just play the game because I love it, so when stuff like that comes up, I appreciate it."

The 39-year-old former designated hitter ranks fourth in RBIs among active players behind Manny Ramirez, Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr. With the RBI, Sheffield sits one behind Hall of Famers Harmon Killebrew and Rogers Hornsby for 33rd all-time.

"It's always special when your name pops up with names like that," Sheffield said. "When those names pop up, you know you've really done something."

After a slow start to the season, due in part to a nagging right shoulder injury, Sheffield has shown signs of breaking out of his slump. Over the past eight games, he is hitting .308.

Sheffield said after Friday's win that his health -- both mentally and physically -- has improved.

"The shoulder's getting better and better," Sheffield said. "I feel great."

Kaline, who goes by the nickname "Mr. Tiger," played his entire 21-year career for Detroit, mainly in right field. A member of the 1968 World Series championship team, Kaline finished his career batting .297 with 3,007 hits and 399 home runs.

Kaline was voted into the Hall of Fame in 1980 and later became the first Tigers player to have his number retired.

Scott McNeish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 3:09 am

Hooray for Sheff!
Back to top Go down
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
rickimouse

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 9:41 am

Woo Hoo
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 9:54 am

Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! 9 applaud applaud
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 10:09 am

love :sheff: clap applaud
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 10:25 am

laprimamirala wrote:
love :sheff: clap applaud

I'm sure your DH will be proud in wearing his sheff hat!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_minipostedSat May 10, 2008 11:56 am

He wore it to the 4/25 game....will make him wear it in 2 weeks! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!   Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Sheffield ties Kaline on RBI list ON 5/9/08!!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: