DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Death of a Salesman (1985)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Death of a Salesman (1985) Empty
PostSubject: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Dustin Hoffman.

This version closely follows the play by Arthur Miller. I've seen it twice in high school, but I need to see it again before I give it a score. I'll either see it tomorrow or Friday depending on how fast I can find it on the internet. I really enjoyed this play and the film. There's a lot of themes such as legacy and stuff.

So catbox, if you want to get out of black and white movies for a while, I recommend this one.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 12:49 am

Score?

EDIT: That reminds me, I need to see Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The two are very similar in the sense that umm....a little help?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 3:58 pm

That's over. You can see the whole movie for free at this site if you want to give it a review.

The movie takes place in the early 50s with flashbacks though Willy Loeman (the salesman). I'm not going to give a summary because you can easily find them on the internet. Better yet, read the play, it's only about 150 pages.

Spoiler:

Dustin Hoffman does a great job portraying Willy. Supporting cast was great too. Just an amazing job of acting in this movie. Themes include being well liked and leaving a legacy.

I'll give it an 88/100.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
That's over. You can see the whole movie for free at this site if you want to give it a review.

The movie takes place in the early 50s with flashbacks though Willy Loeman (the salesman). I'm not going to give a summary because you can easily find them on the internet. Better yet, read the play, it's only about 150 pages.

Spoiler:

Dustin Hoffman does a great job portraying Willy. Supporting cast was great too. Just an amazing job of acting in this movie. Themes include being well liked and leaving a legacy.

I'll give it an 88/100.

Good review although that spoiler kind of ruined it for me Frown Luckily I didn't catch the name in it. Somebody (might have started with an L?) ends up spoilering at the end.

You'll be happy to know this is the 12th greatest movie of all-time, one spot ahead of A Streetcar Named Desire. Hmm...I might have to watch this. I mean in order to be ahead of Streetcar this movie has to beat a movie that won best actress, best supporting actress, and best supporting actor. Marlon Brando was nominated for best actor but lost to Bogart. Brando was arguably the best actor in that movie.

/me adds this to the list of movies to see.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Hmmm...I didn't even check to see if it made the list. 12 may be too high, though. If you read the play it makes the movie that much more interesting.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Hmmm...I didn't even check to see if it made the list. 12 may be too high, though. If you read the play it makes the movie that much more interesting.

If 12 is too high we need either

1. more people to rate good movies
  2. more people to rate this movie and rate it down
  3. all of the above

I haven't read the play but isn't it by Arthur Miller? I have read The Crucible by him. Actually I didn't read it but in HONORS ENGLISH in 10th grade my teacher explained it to us and we watched the movie and were then tested on it. We also watched the movie for Moby Dick and were tested on it. What a great ENGLISH teacher for HONORS English, rather than read classic American literature, we watched movies or got explanations. No wonder I'm so illiterate!

EDIT: Turns out there's been several versions of this film and bobrob watched the wrong one. The IMDb says the 1966 version is far superior to the others.
Back to top Go down
ScubatheHooD
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger
ScubatheHooD

Male
Number of posts : 141
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Fernando Rodney
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 7:13 pm

catbox_9 wrote:

EDIT: Turns out there's been several versions of this film and bobrob watched the wrong one. The IMDb says the 1966 version is far superior to the others.

Yeah I was going to say that I was pretty sure this movie was a lot older than 1980's. Haven't seen the 80's version but did see the 60's version. It was good but it was nothing to jump out of your shoes for - at least in my opinion. It was good though, I love the poker scene. It's so cliche' for that time period.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death of a Salesman (1985)   Death of a Salesman (1985) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Death of a Salesman (1985)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: