DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Empty
PostSubject: Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok   Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Icon_minipostedSat May 03, 2008 10:19 am

05/03/2008 1:17 AM ET
Gomez hit in head, leaves game
Twins outfielder has bruise but doing fine after evaluation
By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez didn't remember much about getting hit in the head by a throw from Tigers catcher Ivan Rodriguez in the fifth inning of Friday night's 11-1 win over Detroit.

That is, except for one thing.

"All of a sudden everything went black," Gomez said. "And that's not normal."

Gomez was doing much better after the game and seemed in good spirits. A far cry from the sight fans saw when Gomez was sliding head-first into second base on a steal attempt when he was struck directly in the left side of his head, just above his ear, by Rodriguez's throw. It left the speedy center fielder lying on the ground motionless for a few minutes and caused quite a scare for his teammates and coaches.

"You definitely don't want to see a guy lose motion like that. He wasn't moving," right fielder Michael Cuddyer said. "It's scary to see that."

Gomez did not lose consciousness on the play and said that he was going to try to move, but he was instructed by Tigers shortstop Edgar Renteria to stay put.

"So I stay put," Gomez said.

Assistant trainer Dave Preumer ran out on the field to check on Gomez, along with acting manager Scott Ullger. Two of the Twins physicians also came out on the field to assist in helping Gomez.

But following a short time on the ground, the center fielder was able to sit up with the assistance of some of the staff. He was taken off the field on a cart, although he was able to sit in the front seat.

Gomez was awarded the stolen base, his 12th of the year, and was replaced by pinch-runner Nick Punto.

The center fielder was evaluated in the clubhouse by the team's medical staff. He was reported to be doing fine, and the decision was made not to take Gomez anywhere for further tests.

The center fielder said after the game that he had a slight headache and a bruise above his left ear. He didn't seem too concerned about the injury, although he was cautious about his ability to play in Saturday's game.

"I got hit in the head five times in my career, so it's no big deal," Gomez said. "I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I did hit my head, so it's hard to tell if we play tomorrow or not."

Kelly Thesier is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok   Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Icon_minipostedSat May 03, 2008 10:42 am

Edgar was wise in telling him not to move.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok   Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Icon_minipostedSat May 03, 2008 1:56 pm

I think that that was pretty cool that Pudge walked out there to make sure he was ok. I feel bad for the kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok   Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Icon_minipostedSat May 03, 2008 2:07 pm

It was cool...because like it or not, men, you DO have compassion! and care about the other team!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok   Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Twins Gomez hit in head, leaves game, has bruise but ok
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Minnesota Twins-
Jump to: